Did the vikings really use female soldiers?

Did the vikings really use female soldiers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagertha
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They were not common.

Do you think a bunch of seafaring individuals
That is to say sailors
Would bring women along and put them in a combat role?

Not as much as the other thread implied
Just swedecuck propaganda to make themselves look progressive.

>other thread
link? I only made this thread because I was having trouble finding a Skyrim mod that removes female fighters, and "the vikings were women" was a very common argument I saw

no

Why would you want a mod that removes female fighters?

When you got a warrior society, like norsemen or mongols or spartans, the men spend a lot of time out of their homes, warring. This means that the woman is left alone to cultivate and defend their home. So warrior societies usually held women in high respect and women from those societies knew how to wield a sword. But women were never a warrior for living, unless it was Brian of Tarth-tier manwoman of course.

>I was having trouble finding a Skyrim mod that removes female fighters
How utterly pathetic

no

Mortality rates during birth for women was already so high that it wasn’t fair to risk them more than they already risked themselves having your kids. Women weren’t in armies, period. Just did not happen

No

Rare enough that the Vikings shouldn't be distinguished from other cultures in this regard.

Why do the sagas have shieldmaidens if female warriors were absurd?

No, there is no evidence of that.

Not him but I too find annoying the tendencie of RPG to be set in an unrealisticly egalitarian society.
Even when they try to make differences betwin sexes they get it backward.

Do they? The only thing even close to a shield maiden that I recall, is a wife using a club to defend her husband from assailants.

>This means that the woman is left alone to cultivate and defend their home.
Thats a big misnomer.
When the matriarchy controls the home, she do control society. This is mirrored in the mythology of those socities, where Odin is suddenly uber femenine for being a Beardy Mc Beardy Tribal supreeme coalition super leader.
And thats on top of said mythology being written down AFTER Christianity had fucked over the various nations morals.

I mean, the only fiction i have read that doesn't have fucked up gender roles, would be Wheel of Time.
And thats..... something

There have been graves found of women with axes, armor, etc. other warrior tools. That implies it was important to them or they used it in their trade.

Nobody knows for sure, but one thing is certain: people in this thread desperately want it not to be so, without providing any evidence other than mere conjecture. Not really sure why.

That is such a faggot thing to be upset about.

OR weapons and armor are symbols of wealth and power? There are graves of children with swords, mail, helmets and what not; were they child-warriors? The reddit infestation in this thread is strong

>fluid social role

Fuck SJWS for ruining yet another series

More like they never existed

The women would be trained so that villages were more difficult targets while the men were away. Not the same as going on raids offensively

Maybe a few. Nowhere near as many as you see in Vikings.

>Complaining about realism in a game like Skyrim

>people who made the game upset about the natural roles men and women take on throughout history
>they change the game to make it fit their beliefs
>user gets upset about gender equality shoehorned into his favorite game
>you get upset about user getting upset about developers getting upset
>me getting upset about you getting upset about user getting upset about developers getting upset
>user gets upset about

Yes Vikings were a warrior culture, weaponry and armor would be highly prized objects.

The facts remain that there are NO contemporary writings that talk about viking warriors. There are plenty of writings by Arabs/French/Byzantines/English etc where they describe Vikings, if they used female warriors then this would be pretty astonishing to them and they would write about it.

The only time I can recall is when a siege is described and they found women among the warriors, but the Vikings were besieged and then got slaughtered, the fact that women picked up weaponry in a last ditch attempt doesn't mean vikings employed women.

/thread

Yes. It was uncommon but not unheard of.

no,but the Huns did

>This RPG isn't realistic enough
>because it has people of varying genders and nationalities

what are you even bitching about
it clearly is used in a merely descriptive fashion, you paranoid fuck

no, they just find it really unconvincing that 12-15 year old girls were warriors who fought and killed hulking war hardened men

It's a valid concern. If I bought an RPG marketed with medieval, English fantasy, I would probably be slightly perturbed by seeing Persians and Kangz everywhere.

Oh right, magic fireballs and dragons flying around is just fine but if there is a darkie in there somewhere, then it goes too far.

This. Only really used when the Vikings new they were in really, really deep shit.

Have you noticed that 99% of people in Skyrim know how to read? Tamriel is not medieval.

Most people in Novgorod knew how to read.

No, but some did have arms and some fought.
Camp followers. But these p*gan scummy degenerates mostly used em for goody goody fun time.

how about skinny underfed peasants? lets not rewrite history and claim that if they existed, they were teenagers and didn't just raid peasants and monks

This.

Literally the only recorded instance of females in combat was Erik The red's sister taking up a sword to fight off natives in Greenland.

people like you just dont want to understand, huh? it isnt about realism per se
magic, dragons, elves and so on are all deeply rooted in medieval folklore, so seeing some fantasy setting based on these european legends isnt as revolting for the player than some political correct minority rate.

They weren't skinny or underfed, and that's about how old sheildmaidens were. They were servants who carried sheilds and the wives/mistresses/comfort women of vikings. And littlegirls are in no way comparable to adult male underfed peasants. Especially since if viking men/boys were skinny and underfed their shwild maidens would be too, and probably moreso

>Did the vikings really use females

Yes, sometimes without consent too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagertha
You haven't read much of the sagas.

So you're saying those women had wealthy and power? Also children are trained to be warriors.

>b-but reddit told me vikings were super feminist and progressive

Lizard and cat people is realistic, but someone rather brownish is not.

You are trying to take a piece of evidence and railroad it to a conclusion you're personally invested in. You are dishonest to the point suspecting you of being a liar wouldn't be far off.

Personally I think if a game is labelled fantasy, it's just silly to be okay with wide spread of literacy, common use of swords, dragons, elves, telepathy and magic, but then suddenly sperg out when someone mentions the role of women. I mean, how do you justify that? It's a different matter if the game prides itself for being realistic. How is it in Kingdom Come?

Leif Eriksson's half-sister fought skaelings in Vinland.

>6ft 250 pound viking lady btfoing a bunch of scrawny eskimos
kek

Only the really sexy ones.