Should I feel embarrassed if my interests lie in the early days of recorded history around the time of Mesopotamia and...

Should I feel embarrassed if my interests lie in the early days of recorded history around the time of Mesopotamia and Babylon?

I always used to feel upset that during school our history lessons would only spend a short time on this material. I always liked the idea that this is how everything we know started. That we were merely a bunch of animals roaming the Earth trying to survive by foraging food until one day we said, "You know what? Screw it, we're staying here in this Garden."

Does this make me an ultra-normie?

tfw u will never live in that time and place

No, no at all, why would you think that?

Yeah I'm embarrassed about it too

No, that's how history should be treated, it just happened in three or four places separately and they later converged.

And Mesopotamia is still a culturally distinct region containing the majority of two whole religions and the language of Babylon. But that's threatened by I S I S.

Oh yeah, ISIS has been destroying ancient relics? The more I am reminded of this threat the more I want to see them all hanged.

I'm a tranny so I would most likely be executed for degeneracy so I could go without living in those days.

Well, as far as the two things which I mentioned go, they have enslaved and killed many Yezidis and took over and burned Qaraqosh, before then one of the largest Christian towns in Iraq and speaking a dialect of Aramaic which is possibly the closest one to ancient/medieval Assyrian Aramaic.

And then there's the destruction of relics.

>I'm a tranny

I pass by the way.

Bump

First, it was not as clean cut as you say, the start of neolitization was a process that lasted thousands of years, Flannery talks a lot about that regarding the case of ancient mesoamerica. Also, the fertile crescent had thousands of years of history, babylon and sumer are separated by a longer stretch of time than we and Jesus, and it also depends on which period, Sumer and Babylon are normie tier, Protohistoric period, Elam and the peripheries of the fertile crescent are god tier.

I like to think of the possibility that those ISIS fuckers and hypocrites who have sold at least some of the real artifacts to unscrupulous collectors, so there might be some chance of recovering them.

>treating history like obscure indie bands
There's a reason that some historical periods are more "popular" than others, and it boils down to the amount of sources we have on the time period in question. Enough with this hipster shit.

That's why the archaeology that's prevalent in the americas and Great Britain is about the historical periods right? Also, there are some periods that have a lot more sources that aren't so popular, compared with Sumer early historical southeast asia has a lot more information but has been also a lot less studied, and it can also apply to places in Africa and even Europe.

me too, I have to get up and pace around my house when I think about it

I think it depends on several things and most of it is the person itself.
I like my people's history for example for nationalist reason but next to that I like pagan northern european history because they come off as exotic but slightly relateable.

>tfw you realize that the fertile crescent really was fertile
>it was literally the land of milk and honey
>thousands of years of unchecked grazing has destroyed the cypress forests

;_;

It's all I think about day in and day out.
The origin of man's recorded history should interest anyone who calls them a historian.
Wait until you dive into the mythology.

If you're telling me the truth post your cute trap butt you sexy little cumslut

Modern Yezidi beliefs may be influenced by Mesopotamian paganism.

Greek myth is also influenced by Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh fights a giant bull
Theseus fights a half-man, half-bull minotaur

We have found pottery on Crete that depicts the story of Gilgamesh

The Greeks plagiarised

dont hold your breath