Can we get a Sri Lankan Civil War thread discussion on here...

Can we get a Sri Lankan Civil War thread discussion on here? I feel like that this is a least discussed war or event on Veeky Forums and in just a least discussed conflict in general. You don't hear a whole lot about this conflict since it ended in 2009. It maybe a violation of the 25 year rule on here but the war did start in 1983. Also I can't find a lot of pictures of this war online.

Anyway, I find the Sri Lankan Civil War to be an interesting conflict because of the lack of exposure this war got and how its origins began and just how Tamil Tigers shot themselves in the foot and ended up losing in 2009 after 25 years of fighting and over 100,000 dead.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffna_University_Helidrop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yet another Anne Frank shitpost and yet this thread gets hidden immediately? The state of Veeky Forums. Better than /pol/ though.

Fine, I'll samefag this thread and post a picture I found with what appears to be Indian peacekeeper troops about to embark on a Mi-8 helicopter probably for a mission against Tamil Tiger units.

They fucked up by trying to assasinate everyone that looked them in the eye, but the civil war brought some interesting shit on the island, like having one of the best archaeological traditions on the island because the sinhalese tried to justify themselves with history going further than the Chola. Thanks to the LTTE we have the absolute archaeological gem that are the excavations at Anuradhapura.

Stop posting about irrelevant countries and expecting the thread to blow, the only time that worked was with Rwanda.

Who cares about Rwanda. It's a meme that gets talked about too much on here. Sri Lanka hasn't been in the news lately and I personally want to know more about the civil war that took place there instead of Anne Frank shitposts or keep looking at "Did the Holocaust happen?" threads a million times.

please, tell us what's so cool about this conflict

>peacekeepers

what was the meaning behind this?

The tamil tigers had a fucking air force

Tamil tigers bicycle infantry

From 1987 until 1990 Indian Army troops assisted the Sri Lanka Army in battling the Tamil Tiger separatists, the militant organization that wanted a Tamil state in northern Sri Lanka because of what they perceived as a lack of justice for the Tamil people who are a Hindu people while the majority of Sri Lanka follows Buddhism. The goal of this "Indian Peace Keeping Force" was to as the name suggest try to bring an end to the Sri Lankan Civil which by 1987 was raging for 4 years now. 100,000 Indian personnel were deployed to Sri Lanka but with in 2 years by 1990, they withdrew following the election of V.P. Singh, the PM of India and because the then President of Sri Lanka Ranasinghe Premadasa requested that they do so. I don't know the full reason why but the "peacekeeping mission" failed and the war continued after the Indian military withdrew from the Indo-Sri Lankan Accord.
This war was famous for its use of child soldiers by the LTTE and for the liberal use of suicide bombing. Prior to Al-Qaeda (with the exception of maybe Hezbollah), suicide bombing was more associated with the Tamil Tigers who used these as tactics and used civilians as human shields. Hence that is why 32 countries branded the Tamil Tigers as a terrorist organization.

While that's pretty badass I'm glad they didn't win, as those borders are hideous.

They also at one point tear gased the shrilankan army

My gf is Sinhalese and she talks about it all the time. She gets incredibly salty about a lot of the information available online about Sri Lanka and the events leading to the Civil War (she claims it was entirely caused by British occupation).

Her main claim to Sinhalese moral highground is that Tamils did not exist on the island prior to British occupation of ONLY the northern 1/3 of the island, therefore they deserve none of the land and are not "Sri Lankan". Whike I have no love for the Tamils, she does not understand that it was that mentality that led to the various riots that led to the war.

Her main gripes with the current state of the island is that reconciliation efforts have introduced many Tamil cultural elements into society. This is mostly with respect to how the Tamils treat women (strongly patriarchal culture vs the relatively matriarchal culture of the Sinhalese).

That's ridiculous, Tamils were in Sri Lanka for many centuries before the British and even ruled over the island. Also it had a totally different occupation history, being a Crown colony unlike the Raj.

>Also it had a totally different occupation history, being a Crown colony unlike the Raj.
The Raj wasn't...?

I kind of like the aesthetics of their uniforms.

Not the OP but, bumped for interest.

I saw a pic of a pink camo variant but thereĀ“s nothing coming up on google

Its the same story with Burma.

The Tamils were in Sri Lanka just as the "Rohingya" were in Burma many centuries before.

The problem started with the British because they imported huge amounts of Tamils and Bengali to Sri Lank/Burma to govern them. While the Tamils didn't convert to Islam and thus their population were slow and steady growth after the import, the Bengali counterpart were Muslims and population exploded as a result due to ideology of "conquer everything".

Just as the British fucked up Burma by supporting the Bengali officials whom inturn tried genociding Arakan Buddhists (~30K were killed by them) in the name of independent muslim state, so too did the British fuck up Sri Lanka by democratizing Sri Lanka. How? Sri Lanka before democratic system had Tamils controlling disproportionate amount of government posts due to them being favored by the British (again same with Burma). Once the democratization came to be after the British left, the Sri Lanka tied government representative to population. This was something that Tamils didn't want. This bitter loss of power caused the drift in two ethnic groups.

low-tier compared to based Central American contras or Vietnamese anti-communist forces

Actually there are plenty of Muslim Tamils. But other than that I definitely would say this aligns with what I know about British occupation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffna_University_Helidrop

The Tamils killed 35 paratroopers in helicopters just like those.

The LTTE shot down a Mi-8 full of Indian peacekeepers and killed the entire