Is this an accurate portrayal of life in Rome?

Is this an accurate portrayal of life in Rome?

Looking for a historical show to sink my teeth into.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oomJG8uVLMs
youtube.com/watch?v=bJvAHMtN04c
youtube.com/watch?v=BulmgPUD-0g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not meant to be a portrayal of life in Rome, but a dramatization of the transformation of the republic into an Empire. It pays not too much interest in social rather than political history.

For some reason, the show is very well received on Veeky Forums, while I would say most would rank it as an well produced BBC historical drama, but nothing amazing at that. It might have something to do with 4chans lack of reading - the events are well known and almost a cliche setting for the subject.

No. Not even close.

There's a lot of weird choices the show makes, from a singular focus on the 13th Legion (which if I recall correctly wasn't THAT important to Caesar) to the fact that Cato is an old ass man to Cicero being... well not really Cicero but sharing his namesake and sharing a rough chronology of events that happened to the actual Cicero while not being the same person? It's confusing, and there are a few more weird decisions the show makes.

Also, the fact that none of the aristocracy spoke Greek throughout the show and the fact that the Gauls in the pilot episode resemble stereotypical ooga-booga barbarians are glaring errors.

They focused on the 13th because Pullo and Vorenus are actual soldiers mentioned, I think, in the Commentaries. Caesar wrote a quick line about these two soldiers who hated one another but kept saving each other's lives, and the showrunners based their fictional characters on those two.

>For some reason, the show is very well received on Veeky Forums, while I would say most would rank it as an well produced BBC historical drama, but nothing amazing at that.
user, we're talking of a show that won shitloads of awards, and belongs to a subgenre that is 99.9% unwatchable shit. It might not be outstanding among all shows, but it's pretty easily the best historical tv series of at least the last 20 years. There's nothing weird about how well received it is.

For someone who does know the events that it covers, it comes off as rushed and way too general.

For someone who does not, it comes off chaotic. HBO series time and again fail at depicting war, as they fail to depict relevant information (leaders talking about their plans in detail, usage of maps, numbers and data to support such, speculation over the possible scenarios) instead of useless one (soldiers/secondary characters making remarks on what an amazing general that one is or just randomly cutting to random battles and starting every episode from zero)

it plagues game of thrones especially hard with rome

No, there are sub Saharan Africans on every street, let alone there at all. It's typical BBC revisionism. the costume/armor is bad too. What was up with those shitty Gauls at the beginning? how do you fuck that up? Patterned trousers, shirtless and a bit of war paint, stylized hair, torcs, hexagonal shields + shields, spears and swords and not to mention fancy mustaches. Very simple

>Subsaharan Africans on every street
What the fuck are you talking about?

You are all right, but honestly, I still enjoyed it, and more historical movies/series never hurt anyone, especially nowadays with the reign of tv series and comic adaptations. Historical movies and tv series, need to make a comeback, at least with quality on par with HBO Rome.

I tried to watch it again but in the first episode alone you have guys with those little African hats on wandering around. I turned it off.

*blocks your path*

Pullo and Vorenus actually served in the 10th Legion.
They focused on the 13th because it was the one to cross the Rubicon.

glad to see a fellow patrician

>GAIUS
>JULIUS
>CEASAR

Impossible to read without imagining the newsreader.

>awards
My sides

I genuinely pity anyone whose autism doesn't allow them to sit back and enjoy this show

This
I’m a huge Republiboo and have read several books on the Fall of the Republic and I still love the show. Yeah it’s not perfectly accurate but it’s still the best adaptation I’ve seen.

a lot of the drama is unwatchable to me. I cant stand augustus mom or his sister. Easily the most boring useless characters that do not deserve the amount of attention they get.

Well they clearly read their primary sources. Ceasar mentions the 2 legionaries in his commentaries. They jumped out of the pickets and killed a bunch of gauls in his history.

It wasn't uncommon

Rome was a crossroads of the circum-Mediterranean

For real the first two minutes of the show, during the battle of Alaska, is the most accurate depiction of Roman fighting tactics ever put to film. That's not to say it's realistic, just that it shows them fighting in a non-retarded manner.

Atia deserved it for being a milf.

Based news reader

>Battle of Alaska

Roman northern territories when?

Fucking autocorrect.

Though the Romans should have invaded Alaska. Just imagine a parade of Roman legions sailing across the Bering strait and sweeping down through North America, conquering all of the North American, Mesoamerican, and South American tribes in the process.

> You will never see a Roman legion fight a group of Aztec warriors

Yeah, it's a shame that the Gauls were poorly depicted though.

Similarly the Battle of Philippi, (or was it Pharsalus?) was disappointing as it just had the two armies march toward each other and commence to melee without a skirmishing phase/exchange of pila.

>when /pol/ enters Veeky Forums
youtube.com/watch?v=oomJG8uVLMs

MARC ANTONY HAS COUPLED HIMSELF WITH THE *SORCERESS* CLEOPATRA, HE PRAYS TO DOGHEADED GODS AND CROCODILES

Season 1 was solid 9/10. Season 2 was more like 7/10 for me. No more Ceasar, Pompey, Cato... Too much personal drama. I didn't like the plot twist about Vorenus and Pullo turning to the dark side, it felt contrived. And the new actor playing Octavian was kind of a dweeb.

But S2 Octavian was great, the best part of the season. That and Antony.

It’s worth watching for the relationship of Pullo and Vorenus, if you’re looking for a show that is historically accurate, you will be disappointed, the timeline is all over the place(the second season in particular because the show was cut short from 5 seasons to 2 but at least we got an ending).Although I can’t think of many period dramas that are accurate desu.

How realistic were the Hindus?I feel pretty certain there were none in Ancient Rome, particularly in the dying years of the Republic.

The battles were the most disappointing part.They spend half of the episode hyping you up for a massive battle only to show Caesar leaving his tent, a few soldiers running to each other and then cut straight to the aftermath.Quite disappointing for such an expensive show.Philippi was actually the only decent battle though tbf.

Definitely agree. Really enjoyed big boy Octavian

Pullo and Vorenus were in a different legion from the 13th, the 8th I think

HAVING REJECTED HIS LOVING WIFE OCTAVIA, MARK ANTONY HAS COUPLED HIMSELF TO THE SORCERESS CLEOPATRA; PROMISING HER DOMINION OVER ALL OF ROME
HE WORSHIPS DOGS AND REPTILES
HE BLACKENS HIS EYES WITH SOOT, LIKE A PROSTITUTE
HE DANCES AND PLAYS THE CYMBALS IN VILE NILOTIC RITES

No

BIIIIG desert =/= blacks in Rome, fuck off you Ameriburger revisionist. The best you can hope for is like a negro slave gladiator in later centuries, brought as an anomaly.

It's "authentic", not "accurate". They get the feel of how life in pre-Imperial Rome feels like, but not exactly the historical events that took place. Awesome show btw, with a significant cult following.

Ciaran Hinds' performance as Julius Caesar is hard to beat

They were under the command of Quintus Cicero, Marcus Tullius Cicero's brother. Their part in Di Bello Gallica was during the time when Caesar spread his legions out for the winter but all hell broke loose in Gaul.

not really, but still great acting/story
also Mark Antony and soundtrack : youtube.com/watch?v=bJvAHMtN04c

youtube.com/watch?v=BulmgPUD-0g

almost all of the blacks on the show were slaves, and given that the city was full of slaves I could believe that a chunk of them were from africa

North African slaves which aren’t black. Blacks came from Nubia only because of the Nile allowing a path through what was otherwise an impassable desert. You don’t see Sub-Saharan Africans in Northern Africa until the Muslims start opening up a sea route for slave trading and bringing them. Otherwise they were rare enough in society that royal courts would keep one to show the other royals what a black person looked like. The richest people in the world wouldn’t display blacks like a luxury item if they weren’t incredibly rare. Most Europeans, and I mean MOST, would never see a black person in their entire life. There were a few in Spain during the Muslim occupation from the previously-mentioned slave trade, but they never made significant leeway into the population until Europeans opened in their own trade routes hundreds of years later

>Gauls in the pilot episode resemble stereotypical ooga-booga barbarians are glaring errors.

Interesting. Quick rundown on how the Gauls actually looked?

HE REFUSES TO MEET ME