Shoes

ITT: Historical examples of shoes. Bonus points for ancient times

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EszwYNvvCjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wouldn't know, but 18th century boots look super comfy. Is that actually the case or am I autistic?

This shit fascinates me
I should learn to cobble

these soles look pathetic, what if you stood on a broken stick or some shit it would puncture straight through

very unimpressive

They werent always that thin. They also usally came with hobnails which helped with stuff like that

Military boots had double, sometimes even triple soles with hobnails in them. They were pretty sturdy.

Thick soles arent that practical without good material like rubber or plastic. Shoes were more meant for protection of your4 feet back than. So as long as you could walk over gravel without twitching youd be good

Bump

What an awful invention

*hides in grass underfoot*

Been a few times ive forgotten my gummies, if it's marshy shit and farmland youre walking through then it's alright. Barefeet just fuckin suck in the bush and on pavement.

comfy, just fuck all grip and you'll need to visit the cobbler every month.

*Is a numale poofta*

>why would you want to avoid stepping on hornets hornets are fun to step on

my feet would be so fucked in any of these shoes

even more so if you left the inn once in a while and got a job instead of sitting by the fire drinking all of our ale and reading those god damn books all day.

Napoleon's boot

Also, a video by some reenactor that I found interesting about the way in which the invention of the heel in the late Middle Ages changed our mechanics of walking: youtu.be/EszwYNvvCjQ

>running and walking are the same thing

An oddly specific thread, but I'll play.

In order of period:

>Wooden shoes
Clogs, klompin, sabots, zucculo.... It's an almost universal shoe with only minor variation between most cultures since the bronze age. I use these for everything from my 15thC kit to my 18thC, and also in the garden or while /out/ in bad weather.

>15thC Knee-high boot.
My main 15thC footwear for historic fencing, hunting and social events. Tough as nails, and protects my leg, but a bitch to put on and take off. Debating on getting a pair of ankle boots or poulaines for social events.

>Block shoes
Good for everything from late Tudor to Elizabethan. Not a fan of the open sides though.

>Latchet Shoes
The go-to 18thC shoes. Actually have three pairs, one personal and two work issued. Can be further augmented by waxed canvas ankle gaiters, or wool knee-high gaiters.

Not pictured are my 16thC Ghillies for my Kernsman kit, and my republic calligula for my Roman kit.

Exactly. What's your point?

Iron age Germanic shoes.
>inbf but muh g*rmanoid caveman were bear footed, clad in animal skins.

Very nice. I admire the raw simplicity and practicality in these types of shoes. "Nothing more nothing less" while still looking good

Any shoes with uppers like the OP image and a 'thin' wooden sole? Could add hobnails or texturing to sole quite easily then.

these are iron age Gallic shoes.

> I use these for everything from my 15thC kit to my 18thC, and also in the garden or while /out/ in bad weather.

But are they comfortable?

Not attached, as that is impractical. Pattens we're essentially "over clogs" for bad weather

Actually, yes. The ones I have are actually made for wearing, and have a full instep carved in etc. Wear them with thick wool socks, and you're rocking it.

Actually... On second thought.... cork IS wood.

But for the most part, the wood needs to be thick enough to support the weight. This wood will break.

>Hippy hooves
NOPE

>g*rmanoid caveman were bear footed, clad in animal skins.
>bear footed

Unless you mean cowmouth/bearpaw shoes that the Germans wore in the 1500s.

Neat

>Hippy hooves
I though hippies went barefoot? I always associated them them with monks.

These look great

Not exactly wood, but in many different countries shoes with rope sole and canvas/leather uppers were widely used by peasants - espadrilles in france and that russian slipper come to mind. Maybe this example would not exactly be what you look for though since you would like to put hobnails in it

Still I think it's always worth mentioning, since for whatever reason the reenactment community is obsessed with making and wearing exclusively leather turnshoes or boots, and forgets that those were quite attached to the disponibility of material - you'd have them when you butchered and skinned one of your valuable farm animals

Any info on these, cloganons?

Rope soles have quite a number of advantages over leather. They can be made thick without losing flexibility while still being cheaper than leather, and offer superior grip due to the uneven surface.
The only disadvantage is the short usable life, since rope decays considerably faster than cured leather.

Opanak, traditional South Slavic / Balkan footwear. Worn in rural areas up until some 50-100 years ago.

All I found on google was a link to a crappy hiking website talking about hiking in clogs without socks... Which sounds retard.

I dig these boot-tops though. Might have to try a pair. Clogs are pretty cheap.