en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuzawa_Yukichi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Aksum
>Mali

He said important countries user.

Go back to /int/

>Mongolia
>4th Tier

If we were talking about a modern context, sure. But in all of history...?

b-but muh mud mosque!

>Ottoman empire higher than Russia
How many layers of retardation are you on

>Greece
What has the country of Greece done in the whole ~200 years of its existence?

First and second line need to be switched

>LE GREECE MEME

Japan is in no way equal to Carthage. Soviet Union and United States are modern states and. Ottomans are a dynasty not a country.Mongolia should be lower and India should be higher. And for the life of me I can't think why the Netherlands deserves to be there.

Also if you're equating Germany with the HRE then Italy is the same as Rome

Altogether OP shit tier list

Are you fucking kidding me?

si sic inciperas, یا مثل این, ή έτσι, then you might have a point.

But you started this thread in English, so what does that tell you? The list should clearly be:

>Rome, Britain, China
>Greece, Persia, Spain, France, US, Russia, Umayyad Empire
>Germany, Byzantine Empire, Portugal, Mongolia, India, Egypt, Ottoman Empire
>Netherlands, Carthage, Japan

>Britain above Spain
No me gusta.

Retard pls
English only became the international language after WW2 when America became the world's superpower

America should definitly be up there

>English only became the international language after WW2 when America became the world's superpower
English was the world lingua franca from probably about 1860. You don't seriously believe everyone was talking in French between countries in ww1 or 1900?

Not him, but I think Britain can definitely be put above Spain. Both had wide cultural influence and territories around the world, but Britain kicked off the industrial revolution and have produced much more scientifically than Spain.

Not him, but yeah that's exactly what happened. English officers were even required to learn French in officer schools but French officers weren't required to learn English.

>Umayyad's above india

>English was the world lingua franca from probably about 1860.
The absolute state of British delusion

>During the 17th century, French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations (lingua franca). It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century, when it was replaced by English as the United States became the dominant global power following the Second World War.[61][62]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Modern_French

>You don't seriously believe everyone was talking in French between countries in ww1 or 1900?
People educated enough to know several languages generally did

French as a lingua franca wasn't nearly as widspread as English is nowdays (thank to America's massive cultural hegemony and mass media like movies and the internet), but it was still more used than English when it came to international interactions

Basically, most people would only know their own language, but the first foreign language educated people would learn was French

That's why Russian and Japanese diplomats in the 1905 war spoke French

That's why German diplomats used French to address British ones in WW1 ("chiffon de papier")

That's why you can find many accounts of American G.I.s having to use French to converse with civilians in Italy, Netherlands and Germany during WW2

Russian, Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian diplomats communicated exclusively in French.

>but French officers weren't required to learn English.
They are today, thanks to NATO :^)

No particular order:
>Iraq
>Syria
>Egypt
>Pakistan
>China
>Iran
>Greece
>Italy
>Mongolia
>Uzbekistan
>Kyrgyzstan
>Turkey
>Spain
>Russia
>Britain
>Peru
>Arabia
>India

>You don't seriously believe everyone was talking in French between countries in ww1 or 1900?

They did tho

>A few days later I saw the first American soldiers. They were African Americans. The first Yankee I met was a black man, Joseph, who introduced me to the marvels of Dick Tracy and Li'l Abner. His comic books were brightly colored and smelled good.

>One of the officers (Major or Captain Muddy) was a guest in the villa of a family whose two daughters were my schoolmates. I met him in their garden where some ladies, surrounding Captain Muddy, talked in tentative French. Captain Muddy knew some French, too.
>My first image of American liberators was thus – after so many palefaces in black shirts – that of a cultivated black man in a yellow-green uniform saying: "Oui, merci beaucoup, Madame, moi aussi j'aime le champagne. . ."
pegc.us/archive/Articles/eco_ur-fascism.pdf

Hellenic Republic.

>anachronism: the post

Define Persia

Better things than your mother apparently.

Better things than your mother apparently.

>Listing Rome and Italy separately
>Listinfg Rome and Byzantine Empire separately
>Germany/HRE
>Persia number 3
>Historic Greece as one single coherent nation

How is the Ottoman empire more important historically than Portugal, Russia, Usa and even the Netherlands? it wasn´t, and not even close.

>Rome
>Byzantine empire

>Important
>Countries
>Posting literal shitholes
>"B-but muh Muh-M-Mansa M-Musa user, muh gold!"
He gave so much away he devalued it. Dumb rich kang.

>CHina important
Kek.Chink delusion

No, your list needs considerable rearrangement:

>Rome, Greece, Persia, China
>Egypt, Spain, Germany/HRE, Ottoman Empire, Mongolia
>Byzantine Empire, Portugal, Netherlands, Russia/Soviet Union, United States, Umayyad Empire, Britain, France
>Carthage, Japan, India, Italy

>India should be higher

This. They were the first to fucking conceive of zero. They should be second tier or higher on that basis alone

>Russia as important as Britain
>slavs fucking around colonising siberia as important as the empire responsible for the global lingua franca, the industrial revolution, and for being the first superpower

B-but india gave you the numerals and 0 along with many other mathematical treatises that the arabs (persians) just copied.

>the global lingua franca, the industrial revolution, and for being the first superpower
Kek. American is the lingua franca of the globe, the industrial revolution isn't to be sourced to Bongistan, and as for superpower status, you have to be one before claiming to be the first one.

I honestly think India should be higher. There's things like the number system but ignoring that they're more important culturally. They influenced South East Asian civilizations and Buddhist philosophy which spread throughout Eurasia.
It just doesn't make sense for it to be on the same level as Japan historically speaking.

Italy should be number one if you count Roman history, because it's one of the only nations that was consistently relevant throughout history due to the Romans and then the papacy.

This is such a meme. French remained the language of diplomacy for a while simply because it's an area with a strong attachment to tradition, but in practical, everyday situations English started to become the language of international discourse from the mid-19th century onwards. Diplomats might have preferred the traditional French, but in education and commerce English had the upper hand. Of course, the conversations of diplomats are a lot more likely to be reported in the history books than the conversations of merchants or teachers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuzawa_Yukichi
>When he turned 19 in 1854, shortly after Commodore Matthew C. Perry's arrival in Japan, Fukuzawa's brother (the family patriarch) asked Yukichi to travel to Nagasaki, where the Dutch colony at Dejima was located, in order to enter a school of Dutch studies (rangaku).
> Fukuzawa studied at Tekijuku for three years and became fully proficient in the Dutch language
>The following year, Japan opened up three of its ports to American and European ships, and Fukuzawa, intrigued with Western civilization, traveled to Kanagawa to see them. When he arrived, he discovered that virtually all of the European merchants there were speaking English rather than Dutch. He then began to study English

>he discovered that virtually all of the European merchants there were speaking English

And of course, we're not even talking about the 20% of the world's population that were directly ruled by the British during the 19th century. It was only in Europe that America managed to make English dominant where Britain couldn't, due to the large American occupation force stationed there after WW2.

So the idea that English only became an international language because of America is partly down to the biases of history teaching, partly down to Eurocentrism, and partly American ego-stroking.

Greek civilization was not a country. The horde of gengis mongols were not the country of mongolia.
Appart from that your list is dump and arbitrary.

Yeah the concept of "Roman" was held high in the hearts of people for a while, with Justinian wanting to reclaim it, the popes seat of power/"Roman" Catholicism, HRE we wuz, Latin being the intellectual language long after the collapse of the WRE, art influences, US laws, shakespeare, US city planning, and more.

Those were European merchants mainly from America, Britain, and Russia, of course English dominated.

In a modern context, Mongolia wouldn't even be on the list at all...

yes, because Britain didn't have a gigantic, world-spanning empire before the usa got stronk

how foolish of us all to downplay the importance of the us's recent century of noogying the west's antagonists when we could be kissing america's boots for starting wars that can't be finished and inventing new and ever more efficient ways of gaining weight

>any country above Britain
When your 'country' has colonised half the world and started the industrial revolution, then you can say otherwise

>یا مثل این
what the hell am I reading? "You like where"?

>European merchants mainly from America

Also, you're wrong anyway. France, Russia and the Netherlands all signed trade treaties with Japan shortly after the Americans and British. By the end of the 1850s and the beginning of the 1860s, most European countries were sending traders and diplomats to Japan. If British and American merchants were the majority, that goes more to explaining /why/ English was becoming the dominant language.

blame google translate. I can do Latin and Greek, but Persian is a little beyond me.

See Britain had a big ass empire of dirt, but English was only dominant within its borders (so in only two mattering countries: Britain and India)

Also, not everyone within the empire spoke English, only the educated elites
That's why you have tons of Indians nowdays that can't speak a word of English

As for the rest, you have to remember that very few people spoke a foreign language (be it French or English) before America invented and spread mass media after WW2

Back then, only very educated people and travelling merchants would know some foreign language