When did the American accent diverge from the British Accent...

When did the American accent diverge from the British Accent? Why did the Australian and Kiwi accent stay relatively close to the British accent?

I fail to see the resemblance between the Australia accent and British. For me they are as different as the American and british accent.

really? They sound almost exactly alike to me

I suppose it depends how soft, but Australian and certain northern and midlands accents (liverpudlian etc) sound similar.

In the US its regional and even in those major regional difference you can split the hairs even further. You can tell the difference between a Mainer (or Maine-ah) from a Bostonian despite the fact they all fall under the New English accent. Even Californians, who are generally considered to be "accentless", will sound distinct to someone whose not from the state and to go even further an Urban Californian won't sound the same as a Rural Californian.

I imagine that its the same for England and Australia

Different people over large areas sound different after years of separation. Even within America the South sounds different from the West Coast, which sounds different from New England, etc.

t. American

I heard a theory before that the American accent is the real original 'British' and british accent we think of today came after the colonies were founded
Or something like that

The British accent wasn't the same as it is today. The question is wrong and the answer complicated. I shall not answer because I can't be arsed.

This t. Brit

Bloody yanks

Not him, but i’m a bong and I’ve always thought Australians sounded similar. Just with more nasal tone and softer R’s.

That’s a meme. The actual accent spoken back then is impossible to guess. The only real basis for that fact is that the posh, far south english accent was largely put on deliberately in the 19th century, that’s it.

This is dumb and retarded

You’re replying to a brit. And if you won’t answer, don’t post in the thread you passive aggressive cunt.

I'm Australian, and they're absolutely very different from each other.

The majority of Aussies have ancestry tracing to the British isles. Even today the largest group of immigrants to the country are English. That's likely why to Americans the Australian accent sounds more "British" than our own.

Non-Anglo speaker here and British and Australian accents sound completely identical to me. Irish accent only slightly deviates because they sound like retards trying to sing instead of talking like humans.

Read a book on the subject if you want to be educated. You didn't actually come here expecting a proper answer to this question did you?

>board for discussing history
>hey guys, let’s discuss history

>haha, read a book!
>god, i’m so clever.

I thought there’s more chinks coming in straya by now

You mean when did the British accent diverge from the American

>The only real basis for that fact is that the posh, far south english accent was largely put on deliberately in the 19th century, that’s it.
Thats how I heard it alright
Dont put any thing past an A*glo

Why do american women have the most retarded sounding accents for women on earth?

Oh, that makes sense.
I had heard a long time ago that, before America was colonized, everyone had something like today's American accent, and that the the entirety of british accents were deliberately put on after the fact. That idea never made sense to me, glad to hear it just stems from a misinterpreted, smaller scale fact.

Nah the South African and Australian accents are closer than English and Australian

Those trash English accents are ultimate boner killers for me. I hear that shit and I instinctively imagine someone morbidly obese with five teeth in her mouth.

Same reason the Spanish spoken in the Philippines was closer to the accent of Spain rather than the Aztec mongrel accent of Mexico or the Italian pidgin accent in Argentina.

Australia and NZ were more recent British colonies, with almost no outside influences from other immigrant groups. The longer a colony is separated from its motherland, the more its accent will diverge.

Don’t fool yourself, lmao.

The west country accent is certainly very old, and most modern american accents originate at least partly from the Irish. I can’t find it now, but there was a very isolated town on I believe the north carolina coast, where they still spoke woth their original accent. It sounded distinctly a strange mix of Cornish, Irish and West Country.

>implying discussing = educating
Come on

>I had heard a long time ago that, before America was colonized, everyone had something like today's American accent, and that the the entirety of british accents were deliberately put on after the fact. That idea never made sense to me, glad to hear it just stems from a misinterpreted, smaller scale fact.
What the actual fuck, no.

Only RP was spread by people wanting to seem educated and shit so they put on that accent. That happened around the 19th century. afaik the others are natural

Literally 80% of the threads here are phrased as questions. Discussions themselves imply giving the other person knowledge they don’t have. Stop being a cunt for the sake of it.

I DO declayer, this thread is giving me a case of the horribles.

IDK, southern ones sound horrific but the western ones sound pretty hot.

The bong accent of today is often that effected, cuntish estuary business that arose after the American Revolution, sometime in the 19th Century. I've heard linguists claim that portions of South Carolina speak an english dialect that best parallels the english language spoken in the 18th Century in England and elsewhere.

The Saffers, Kiwis, Oz and others sound similar to the bongs, but you can always pick them out as unique. Each of the cunts will have their own vocabulary to wade through, and that's as much a clue as their unintelligible pronunciation sometimes.

>western ones
You mean like Californian women? Isn't that where the Valley Girl stereotypical speech comes from? There's nothing more ear raping than that.

I more just meant anything past the mississippi river. Except those weird ones in the far north where no one lives.

Nah. Southern accents on women is attractive. Generic American accents are shit.

>idiots think Mississippi river is some great cultural boundary
The fuck is this 1850?

That’s just the west of the US, geographically.

Yeah but people don't have specific accents just for living here.
t. Arizona

I know, it’s just me illustrating that southern and eastern voices aren’t very nice.

In my part of California we say hella instead of bloody.

You sound like faggots

Well there's a lot of literal fags where I live. Though most Californians are not from California just transplants.

America was settled primarily before the rhotic shift that took place in Britain, which is why we and the Canadians keep our hard /r/s. Australia and New Zealand were settled after

Let us suppose for a moment that strayan and kiwi accents do actually sound like the poms. This could be for a few major reasons.
1. Aus and NZ are still part of the commonwealth and we therefore have easy access to travel to England so a lot of the time when youngsters from those two countries decide to travel overseas they go to England.
2. A lot of television and film from Britain is screened down here. When I was growing up Coronation Street was the most popular tv show on by a long shot here in NZ.
3. We were settled by the British. Most peoples ancestry goes back to Britain whereas in the United States most ancestry goes back to Germany I think(but don't quote me on that, but point being that US settlers weren't predominantly from Britain except maybe in the early stages).

Australian-UK accents are closer than US-UK ones but still clearly distinct imo.

Moron, they're totally different. Hell there isn't even one "American accent" just compare someone from Minnesota to someone from Louisiana to someone from California. They sounds very different.

Pretty much this. Broadly speaking, American and Canadian English have probably undergone less severe sound changes than British English, but they've all changed quite a bit since the 17th and 18th century.

>in the United States most ancestry goes back to Germany
>This is a load of shit and you know it.
>Back in the eighties, British was the single biggest census category, bigger than both Irish and German, at over 25%. What happened since then? Did we have a huge influx of Krauts and Micks? And huge expulsion of our Brits? No, we added the "American" category. And many old settler-descendants, ones who had been here since the foundation of this nation, checked that.
>Also, even then, I'd estimate that an even larger portion of the populace who are mainly British-American check an other box on the census. Why? Because they feel closer to some more recent member of the family. For example, if one has a German grandmother, and otherwise stretches back to 1680 with only British roots, that person would be likely to check German, since that's the closest contact to foreign culture he has, as British-American culture simply evolved into American culture.
>For example, my mother is 1/4 Swedish, and is otherwise completely old-stock English-American, but she checks Swedish on any census.
>Personally, I'd reckon we're over a third primarily British, and over half, just counting whites.

B(g)ay Area? We have a hint of the midwest here in the Central Valley

Excuse me the Upper Midwestern accent is one of the easiest things for any english speaker to understand.

>tfw your accent is the most boring out of your cunt

Nah we sound more like cockneys, apart from dropping the h. Closer that northerners, who say their U very differently

Nasal? Is that from watching too much Neighbours? Melburnians are halfway to New Zealand - eg they say Malbourne instead of Melbourne

I guarantee you that the americans of the 1700s did not sound like modern brits

What, mid-atlantic-based?

I always felt like I never had a real accent (relative to the rest of the country), save for a few PA dutch-isms that would work their way in thanks to my grandparents.

>tfw Hoosier
>tfw General AMerican accent
It wouldn't be so bad if only my accent hadn't become the General American accent. If our media had a more diverse collection of accents.

I don't care where you're from, the vocal fry needs to die

When and how did ebonics emerge in the US? I mean black Brits sound like Brits but you can tell it's black American by accent alone.

blacks aren't often left to their own devices in britain to degenerate langauge as much as those in the US methinks

There's huge West Indies heritage in black Londoner slang and accent though, which has bled into many lower class London accents white or black

Every heard of """London (((multicultural))) English"""?

Most blacks in Britain immigrated in the latter 20th century

they haven't really had the time or conditions to develop their own dialect

this

also non-english speaker, australian sounds the closest to english to me, to the point when im trying to imitate them i usually confuse the two,

new zealand sounds more distinct but still close

new england american also has an english-australian vibe, but noticably different

scottish and irish are closest to each other but noticeably distinct from the rest(though scottish and north english are similar)

redneck american and NYC metro area accent are the most unique

other americans sound accentless to me, like the most neutral form of english, like the way hilary clinton talks, orrobert downey junior for example

and canadians sound like americans except a bit more sissy and effeminate

behavior wise also australians and englishmen are the most slav-like and similar to eachother