Was taking Ireland really necessary? The Union already looks great as it is

Was taking Ireland really necessary? The Union already looks great as it is

Not really, but it was inevitable.
There is a full, uncontested island full of bickering tribes none of whom stand a chance against you.
The chance to expand territory and your nation in general at-all things considered-little cost.

The problems merely arose when they refused to accept that the Irish and the English were simply different. Had we not flattened their identity/culture/language and generally bullied them almost out of existence, it's unlikely that notions of "independence" would ever have gained much ground. They were conquered, they were pacified, that was never really the challenge. The challenge arose from their integration, from making them part of the Union. Our outright failure to ever once efficiently or competently rule over the Clans of Ireland will forever be one of our greatest failings, and Ireland today stands as an eternal reminder of the fact that despite being one of the greatest nations in the world's history, it took only our failure to see people who we wished to be part of our Union as a true part of a Union instead of cattle or fodder that lead to a resource-less rock in our back garden becoming independent of our Empire.

>be britbong
>crusade to end slavery all over the world
>decolonize foreigners
>even though hey hate you now
>and they demand gibs
>also give free money to India because why the fuck not
>meanwhile seize part of Ireland, Africa for Africans but Ireland for the bongs
>don't give them anything else anyways despite being culturally similar
>treat 3rd world savages who hate you more than anything better than friendly similar neighbors

are you brain damaged?

Explain yourself you trout. Unfriendly reminder: any given street in Birmingham.

See “Northern Ireland Crisis”
You britshits treated proddies better that Catholics

I mean, not really but at the same time why not? If Ireland wasn't full of constantly warring clans maybe they could have resisted. even if only for a few years more. But alas, it was and was kinda easy pickings initially, but imo it was more trouble than it was worth by the end.

>but at the same time why not?
Are Brits really incapable of thinking forward?
Did they really think that their Irish subjugation would have no backlash?
If anything they should have supported one clan and helped in unifying it,creating a friendly nation that would help you

paddy had it coming

You realise that Britain isn't holding onto Northern Ireland just to piss off the Irish, right?

North are Protestant and the South are Catholic. If Britain just said "Here you go, Ireland. You can have Northern Ireland back", the Northern Irish will go ballistic. They are literally keeping the peace by keeping them apart.

>britshits treated proddies better that Catholics
but we all are proddies you fucking moron

the government of the republic of ireland was genuinly terrified by the prospect of reunification behind closed doors, it would have fucked the whole country through a bin bag

Couldn’t they have just relocated the Protestants in England?

I'm sure that would go down well.

>Hey, I know you have lived here your whole life but now you have to either move to a different country or stay here with catholics calling the shots.

>You britshits treated proddies better that Catholics

Good. Catholics are fucking garbage.

This. Support one clan, crown them as the King of Ireland, and pursue dynastic ties leading to a union. The Irish despised the English far more than the Scottish because of all the brutal campaigns that took place on their island, leading to their refusal to convert to Protestantism just to spite them more.

The republic has roughly 1/13th the population of the UK and most importantly doesn't have a stretch of water seperating the troubles from it's major urban centers, their military is miniscule in comparison to that of the UK.
Imagine instead of a bomb going of in the center of Birmingham, a bomb devestating Dublin.
This is the kind of stuff that would happen which would more than likely cripple Anglo-Irish relations as a counterpoint, which given the fact that the Irish government couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery without taking a brown paper parcel or two would be a pretty horrible situation.
UDA becomes the IRA but instead skullfucks a country a fraction of the size with a poor counterinelligence agency and military and no border of any kind between you and the very very angry people

If Ireland today can tolerate Hindus and Muslims I'm sure they'd handle some fellow Christians.

>You realise that Britain isn't holding onto Northern Ireland just to piss off the Irish, right?
That's exactly why they're doing it.There's no economic or cultural gain for the bongs to keep stolen land.
>They are literally keeping the peace by keeping them apart.
That's the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in my life, and I've heard a lot of dumb shit. First of all, look at the demographic shifts. Ireland is accepting muzzies too, but they won't accept prots? Secondly those wars of religion ended centuries ago and anything more than a nod of approval is just paying lip service to Irelands catholic roots. Thirdly, after one year of Soros bucks they changed their fucking minds on faggots getting wedded. Now I'm supposed to pretend the lack of union is causing more peace? The whole point of the IR fucking A is to keep Ireland's borders and culture together, the only casus belli they had was northern Ireland and you think the bongs seizing it was a move in the name of peace? Holy fuck it gives me a headache trying to imagine how fucking stupid you must be.

>WAAAAAA I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT
>THE CATHOLICS WILL ACCEPT THEM SO IT'S OK :)))

It's the North who wont accept the South you stupid fucking cunt. Of course the Republic of Ireland will welcome the North back with open arms, the North is literally the opposite, they don't want the Catholic majority of the Republic of Ireland interfering with the way they do things right now.

Kill yourself you wikipedia warrior. I hate people like you who get mad because you think you're correcting somebody when you're actually just wrong. It gives me a headache trying to imagine how smug you were after you typed all of that stupid shit.

Why can’t it be an autonomous region then?

>It's the North who wont accept the South you stupid fucking cunt
Same rules apply retard. The north is equally as cuckable as everyone else. The "athorities" are literally just puppets with whichever bong captain of industry decides to put his hand up their asses and move their mouths like a fucking sock puppet. The people don't seem to give a shit either way, and there's always been argument over the real numbers behind what they want. Ultimately, it doesn't even matter because it's unquestionably Ireland, and no eternal bong scheming and select polling will change that. Bongs get nothing but Irish angst from it. No evidence they want anything other than that. Fuck you're so stupid it hurts. Are you a bong? Be honest.

End of the day bongs would rather suck African toes and give free money to street shitters than look out for their old neighbors. That's the only problem with them.

>Gives bong propaganda
>Won't answer whether he's a bong
Obvious blind bias

great post user, it really helped

The United Federation of Greater Britain doesn't have the same ring to it to be fair

What would help is bongs doing something instead of shitposting and deconstructing themselves

I tried to make some Veeky Forums related posts and didn't shitpost at all, unless you mean by 'do something' reunify ireland

I mean stop giving money to street shitters

Not him but christ shut up you stupid cunt

why are you even in this thread?
and it's a bit rich complaining about blind bias while screeching about brown people shitting everywhere

I meant as in if North Ireland and Ireland unified,they’d become an autonomous province

>you stupid cunt
Yup, it's you again.

No, it wasn't necessary. Nothing is necessary, but the problem is that once you have power, you can do whatever you want.

Actually yes, it was. As Britain because a global power, having a hostile Ireland that was allied to Britain's enemies became a huge liability.

Are you referring to the Union Jack? Because England already had control of Ireland well before the union with Scotland.

Ireland was conquered centuries before the Union even existed.

Well a bit yea
But the Union was already good to begin with since England can exert power directly without depending on their navy to control Scotland and Wales.Taking Ireland seems overkill since they could’ve supported one clan to unify them

>North are Protestant and the South are Catholic. If Britain just said "Here you go, Ireland. You can have Northern Ireland back", the Northern Irish will go ballistic.
this is true. however it's inevitable that the Catholics will be a majority as they make more babies then the protestants. tis only a matter of time

The English had nominal control of Ireland since 1171, and took formal control of it in 1542. I don't see how that was overkill at all considering that they had also reigned in Wales by this point too.

If the government had simply treated Catholics better in the nineteenth century, would Ireland still be part of the Union? If the hatred between Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and Protestants was dulled?

>stolen land
Do you honestly believe this? After hundreds of years in British hands, it's British land. Not to mention the fact that the people who actually live there don't want to join, either.
How can you possibly equate shitskin muzzies with no real history of animosity with either side, Catholic or Protestant, with people who have hated each other for generations? This issue isn't Catholics versus Protestants, it's Irish Catholics versus Irish Protestants, people who hate each other and have for ages.
Besides that, Ireland should still be part of the Union.

Reasonable Micks here, would you support reunification on the condition of adopting a government similar to the UK, and forming a personal union?
Also, assume the UK had a true rightwing resurgence, has deported Pakis and Caribs, and the monarch has at least as much power as in, say, George III's time.

>Not to mention the fact that the people who actually live there don't want to join, either.
This was already covered. Most of the people living there are indifferent about everything from politics to religion to whats on the tube saturday night.
>After hundreds of years in British hands, it's British land
Not yet it isn't, and it never will be.
>This issue isn't Catholics versus Protestants, it's Irish Catholics versus Irish Protestants, people who hate each other and have for ages.
So your argument is that Muslims can integrate better than two types of Christians can? wtf
>Besides that, Ireland should still be part of the Union.
Oh, it's a bong. I thought it was too easy to imagine you sucking muhammeds toes from your posting style.

>This was already covered. Most of the people living there are indifferent about everything from politics to religion to whats on the tube saturday night.
This is incorrect and irrelevant.
>Not yet it isn't, and it never will be.
It is and has been.
>So your argument is that Muslims can integrate better than two types of Christians can? wtf
No, my point is that they hate each other, and don't care about Muslims. I hate Muslims, too, but the fact of the matter is that the Irish of both sides haven't been hating Muslims for hundreds of years. It's a bloodfeud.
>Oh, it's a bong. I thought it was too easy to imagine you sucking muhammeds toes from your posting style.
I'm Canadian, fuckwit.

>I'm Cucknadian
bahahaha he says that like it's a good thing! Lad, you should've shut up when you had the chance

Not an argument. Besides, I say that only to prove that I'm not a bong, you """proud Irish-American"""

>Not an argument
Yes it is lad. Just not one that you care for.
>"""proud Irish-American"""
Not even, but right is right. If Scotland gets a vote for separation, that's when you know times are changing. Of course it was rigged though.

But why not throwing their support behind one clan to unify Ireland and forming a Dynastic Union based on Anglo-Irish monarch marriage.For all we know,we could’ve avoided the shitshow that is Northern Ireland or the entire crap about Britain oppressing the Irish

Blame the French. Ah, but this board thinks they can do no wrong.

Was taking Ireland necessary? Nothing really is but the benefits at the time outwayed the negatives.
However it would prove to be a pain in the ass that never stopped throbing.
The real question is was the union between Ireland and Britain saveable or was pick related an inevitable result?
If it wasnt him would it simply have been someone else?
How would the Brit anons have prevented the breakdown of the union?

Not British, but I think transitioning to equality between proddies and Catholics during the 1800s could've kept them together forever.

it really feels wrong that it isn't part of the UK any longer.

What would Italy be without Sicily?

THE DNA, LINDY.

They truly were history's great villains, on the continent and abroad, striving for dominance and conquest of weaker peoples. Of course, they've largely settled these past few centuries, only turning their lust for chaos on a few occasions towards the bosh, so, the memory of their deeds ebbs.

Exactly my point. The Normans are French, right? Well you have the conquest of Ireland on your hands.

You clever devil you, I've never thought of it that way, right, hands clean.

You're a retard who doesn't know what he's talking about

No, we needed more colour. Deal with it

No arguments from the people arguing against me. Not even properly arguing my person. Interdasting.

>Britbonks trying to validate and justify their genocidal campaign against yet another nation they've oppressed and subjugated for centuries: Thread #2456
The Americans should've honestly waited for the Germans to overtake Britain. Anglos are subhuman.

Hey cuntlord, we're talkng abou a country that had actual riots over what flag was flown over Belfast City Hall, a country that 25 years ago was still considered an active insurgancy by the British Army, a country that has had its own assembly suspended for the better part of a year becasue the two side of the argument simply won't talk to each other.

Pretending that Northern Ireland works or that unification can happen without an *overwhelming* majority voting in favor in a referendum is a fallacy.

They can't even agree on their 2nd cities name for fucks sake.

>t. LARPing Frenchstain
Anglos stick together.
Also, the Irish weren't oppressed in the slightest. It was Roman Catholics who were oppressed, and for good reason. It just so happened that most Micks were Catholic.

That is without a doubt the most retarded thing I have read on this board. Why are Americans so fucking stupid?

"muh catholics" is only the surface of the problem, Protestants in Ireland were also treated oddly by England. Huge tariffs and limits on their prosperity as well as continued mistreatment of people lead to general consent.

It wasn't a case of "England was mean to the catholics so they rebelled" it was "England was so utterly and entirely inept at running Ireland that they lost it, several times, only to conquer it more brutally-never once learning that this might have consequences."

You literally only got permission to invade Ireland from the pope.
Your claim to Ireland, the Irish or pretty much anything on that rock is based upon your loyalty to the pope, faggot.

>Your claim to Ireland
Right of conquest, DWI
>faggot
Fuck off yank

But that isn't why you invaded, it wasn't by right of conquest. You never claimed right of conquest. You begged his holiness to invade bogland to make them more catholic. Ireland wouldn't have been such a nest of Roman Catholic loyalty had you not invaded them and turned their already functioning society on its head in favour of what you reckoned was right.

English-Irish relations are such a fucking mess, you faggots never knew your arse from your elbow the second you landed there.

>DWI
>Ireland is currently an independent republic which England has pretty much 0 say in
>England is currently forced to pay millions annually to keep the last remnant of their presence in Ireland propped up, which has become an economic and cultural backwater
>Catholics are out-breeding protestants in this backwater
Yeah looks like they already did m8

You don't understand anything about Ireland nor British politics for that matter but you keep droning on and making these long pointless posts. Why? And why is it always an American that does this?

They're """proud Irish-Americans."""

Because English faggots like to act extremely cocky and proud of themselves whenever any self-respecting anglo would do the rightful thing and pretend Ireland doesn't exist to save himself the humiliation, since regardless of how many times you amazingly butchered or massacred the people or how many times you fucked up your administration or how many times had to deal with rebellions the point stands that every second you faggots spent in Ireland was utterly and entirely wasted time as you lost infinitely more than you gained.

English people don't give a shit about Northern Ireland we would have rid of it tomorrow if a vote were held. This is what you dumb plastics don't understand, you're not digging a knife in or getting a reaction the way you think you are because we're not emotionally wedded to anything in Ireland and really don't care either way. The only people who don't want to upset the status quo are British-identifying northern Irish and they're clinging to us not the other way round.

Its because they live in a permanent stats of 1920s era Irish nationalism that they have made even more extreme because they have no genuine connection to Ireland.

Ah right so it is an unhinged plastic then. Yes grr I'm very angry about Ireland, please accept my apologies on behalf of the user who posted a srs business potato meme and set your trigger off

And here you are, debating that you don't care about the fact that your country lost something that is literally within throwing distance relative to anywhere else in the world.

I already told you I'm not? why do you keep insisting and putting sets of quot- oh that's right you're a fucking cucknadian lmao

Try using arguments sweetie.
>"NO YOURE WRONG!"
>"A-AMERICAN!"

The globe is rightful Anglo clay

I couldn't care less if I tried, you have no idea how little connection English people have to Ireland it's as foreign as Spain or France for most of us. But you are so desperate to imagine I'm overflowing with rage (because typical plastic with a chip on the shoulder) you won't accept what I'm saying and will probably continue to make embarrassing posts about places you don't understand

You realise the two things you're talking about happened in two completely different eras.

a) Being a yank is an automatic disqualification
b) Anyone who thinks the Irish in ROI are Catholics because of a 12th Century Norman king can only be a Yank
c) see a)

>Necessary
Yes, Ireland was a route through which England could be invaded and so needed to be closed. Security wise when this became irrelevant, the island dwindled in relevancy.

So based on the demographics meme, how long until catholics outnumber protestants in the north so we can finally remove this tumour and get our flag back?
Literally no one in Great Britain wants you faggots. As other posters ITT have pointed out, if the Republic is ok with Muslims and Hindus, they shouldn't have a problem with their fellow Christians, it's northern Irish shitstains who wouldn't be able to keep the peace.

>it's as foreign as Spain or France
lol ok kid

france is closer than them

Why are they Catholic, then, limey?

>some potato niggers living right next to your great island empire,a starving people who consider getting drunk more important than feeding their kids being and also being generally annoying to deal with
>not annexing them
it was for their own good, whether they want to admit or not

>was taking Ireland necessary?
They took Ireland first you dense cunt.

No it doesn't, there's still a giant red vertical cross in the middle of it.

>Ireland was a route where England can be invaded
>Implying they didn’t have a big fuck off Navy to wipe out invading forces

The only way i can see it seriously working is ensuring that the govenrment is different at different times, the liberal government famine alone probably caused more damage to the idea of union between ireland and the UK than any individual arbitrary arrest.

>That's exactly why they're doing it.There's no economic or cultural gain for the bongs to keep stolen land.
How about the populatioon that lives there? self determination is more important than historical claims to land.

>declare independence without northern ireland
>GIVE BACK MY STOLEN LAND

The navy was important but it wasn't some godly force of destruction, splitting the navy between the Irish Sea and the Channel would've stretched resources further, not all of Britain's navy could defend the British isles.

This is a stupid question because it relies on the premise that the British state as it was had a choice; in reality it inherited the problem from pre-modern societies. The Norman invasions are what formally tied Ireland and England together, in that the Norman invasion of Ireland (they were invited by a beggar king) and every subsequent interaction has been a result of this .It's the largest mission creep in history, with English and later British involvement ebbing and flowing but always built upon the need to secure previous commitments (mostly about keeping the Pale safe) until the 'modern' British involvement in Ireland from the Glorious Revolution onward.

I'm a catholic Britbong with Irish roots and I couldn't give a fuck about Northern Ireland, it drags us down more than Wales. Potatofamine 2.0 when

When I say foreign I don't mean the culture, I mean in the sense of having anything to do with Ireland on a day to day basis