I've been considering getting a rowing machine lately

I've been considering getting a rowing machine lately.

I'm obese, 160kg/180cm, and don't care much for going out on walks or gyms. Too boring.

So I've been thinking and figured that a rowing machine in front of the tv would do me good.
Keeps me motivated and mind off the exhaustion watching tv shows while I'm rowing.

I work from home, sitting down 8-14hours a day is a norm. My shoulders and back are starting to become unbearable at times.
Hence why I'm also considering a rowing machine.

The thing is the weight limit. The machines I found that could hold the weight are all around 1000usd+.

Are these prices to expect? I'm not american so I don't get your kind of deals.
Pic related is the WaterRower Club S4 for 1300usd. Overpriced?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/are-you-big-boned-truth_n_6075706.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>too boring

So you'd rather be a giant unhelthy inattractive subperson, than be a bit bored every now and then. Great.

What do you do at home sitting on your ass that wouldnt be possible to do from a standing position?

Just jump rope bro

I'm not one who wants to waste hours walking from one spot to another, then back. Min/max my friend.

Standing workspaces is a meme, we all know that.

Fat people don't jump.

160kg what the fuck mate
Just start with eating less, and START WALKING, rowing is even more boring.

Yeah, decent rowing machines are fucking expensive, don't go cheap, they're all utter shit. Never used water rower before, look up concept 2, they're pretty much the gold standard and you can get refurbished ones for around 800.

Also, look up proper technique videos, rowing badly is a quick way to fuck up your back, but rowing properly is pretty low impact.
Plus in my experience they're pretty damn loud, but they were air resistance not water.

Thanks, I'll look them up!
I'm a bit /diy/ so I can tell that some of the cheaper ones seems like a real bad deal, easily broken or unpleasant ride.

I've used some really loud machines, but water tanks seems to be fairly ok. At least it's a nice sound..!

Also researched the technique for rowing, I'm not going in blind at least.

At your weight just standing up is going to a massive workout. Not saying you should get a standing desk or whatever, thatd be a waste since your incapable of standing the entire work day anyhow. Just stand up more often when feasible and fix your diet

calories in calories out dont waste your money
>family member spend $1k on a rowing machine
>pic related when I was asked if I wanted to chip in and use it too

You're a fucking retard and will never make it. I hooe you die of a heart attack.

>hurr durr im 160kg and want to lose weight
>cbf going to gym
>die of heart attack at age 40

Fucking idiot

I won't be able to focus on my work enough if I stand up, I've tried. It's not about losing weight though, I should have clarified that.

Just need to build up my body to the point where my back and shoulders aren't hurting.

In my situation it's a good way to get started, won't be ruining it either so I'll be able to sell it one day.

Calm down, Chad.

I never said I wanted to lose weight. I need to fix my back and shoulders, rowing is excellent for it. Need the support of my core for the back.

waterrowers are shit

>Standing workspaces is a meme, we all know that.
Good stationary bike workspace is not.

losing weight would fix your back and shoulders

and it would extend your life expectancy by 20 years

but if eating less is such a burden enjoy your early grave retard

t. recovering fatass

Explain.

How are you supposed to get any work like that though?

Losing weight rebuilds your muscles?

Maybe if you eat roids, like a certain someone.

If you are starting from 0 you can build muscle and lose weight at the same time very easily.

You are morbidly obese, stop acting like you know anything at all about health or fitness

rowing on the water is better. I pay 66 dollars a year to row twice a week. Join a rowing club m8

best money spent

>all these Veeky Forums homos replying to this bait

Sounds like you don't want to do what it takes to get healthy. Just turn into James K.

I know more than you think.

I choose not to stay above average health, I got no reason to be.

I now have a reason, my shoulders and back.

It's something I'd maybe move onto later in life.
Need to crawl before I can walk.

>I choose to weigh 350+ lbs

chances are they have rowing machines at the rowing club, i think it is a good idea to check out atleast, would be cheaper than buying one for 1k

>I choose not to stay above average health
>average health
Well shouldn't you at least get to average health?

Have fun giving up in three days
Diet first so you know you can stick to something before wiping your ass with a thousand dollars

Oh I'm not american tier obese, I got a thick build, but I'm still overweight.

There's no club around, sadly.
I've tried machines though, so I know I'll enjoy it.

I'd say I'm at average health, got no health issues, just not physically as strong as I should.

Nothing severely wrong with my diet.

I wipe my ass with 3 layered soft paper, very nice on my anus.

You are a fucking idiot and will never make it

>350
> not burger tier
Post gut I need a good laugh

>thick build
M8, you literally weigh 160KG. Unless you're a powerlifter or a strongman there is no fucking thing as a thick build. You're fat. Eat less and maybe you'd have less shoulder and back aches.

you have a BMI of over 50.
a BMI of 50 or more has super obesity or super morbid obesity, according to a 2009 article published in "Archives of Surgery."

you are super morbidly obese.

morbidly

MEDICINE
in a way that relates to or is indicative of disease.
"the patients remained morbidly hypertensive"

drop the weight or you will die.

Nuh uh!

I'm not saying I'm not overweight.

I don't have the bone structure of a little a little girl weighing 160kg. I am thicker than the average male.

I'm too shy to show myself to people~

you are delusional , you don't realize how fat you are. you are over 350 pounds and you are only 5 foot 9. you are not 'thick' and there isn't 'muscle under the fat' and you really don't 'just have big bones' . you are really really fat and unhealthy.

even huffington post calls out the big bone myth

huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/are-you-big-boned-truth_n_6075706.html

While a larger frame may account for a couple of pounds, she says, it’s definitely not getting you off the hook for an extra 30. “Most people’s weight is carried in their soft tissue — muscle, fatty tissue, their organs,” says Lajam, “so blaming extra weight on your bones is not accurate.”

you are in denial and you are slowly killing yourself.

Just face it you're fat, lazy and won't make
Your won't even fucking walk, diet, or even fucking stand more than normal but you want to hop on a row machine?

I'm not morbidly obese. But yes, overweight.

Hold on, and I getting memed on here..? It's my first time on Veeky Forums.

You don't get 60KG+ of excess weight by being "thicker than the average male.
>too shy
Just post your gut so we can laugh at you. I know it's bait but at least it's an excuse for condescending rinposting

Stop trying to give OP advice. He's too retarded/delusional to see the difference between 'a bit overweight' and obese. He'll get his wake up call soon enough.

This is bait everybody go

Hey OP don't listen to these autismo gym fags. I was once like you. Not as big, but in a similar situation.

If you want some sort of home cardio trainer that you can watch tv while using, and providing you can afford it, then you go for it. A man is entitled to spend his hard earned cash any way he pleases. However, one you get on a roll with the fitness thing, you will want to go deeper down the rabbit hole. You will want to start using weights because you will realise that lifting speeds the process up. Having a rowing machine at home will just collect dust. Spend that grand on a gym membership, some fancy new threads for when you lose weight, and a bunch of pills and blow. And a Nintendo 64 with Goldeneye. I believe in you son. You can do this.

I'm thick and fat. I was once a bear.

Called you out and now you're changing tactics!

Thanks friend for being understanding.

I'll take your wisdom with me.

How much can I pay you to kill you for fun?

OP you're beyond saving with your attitude.
You should start with long distance walking + swimming + diet + lifting to get back to being healthy.

But as I can see, better call your local funeral service for an 5XL coffin before you die in the next weeks. But atleast you had a good life being morbidly obese never leaving your house and spending time on Veeky Forums.

Change now and accept our help or perish.

>You should start with long distance walking
No, he's too heavy for that. He'll destroy his feet.

I said walking, not running or jogging.
Alternatively, ride a stationary bike or go swimming.

In case you're not a retard here's some actual advice from someone sort of in your position

I'm 5'10 235lbs

1) Realize you're fat. You're not big boned. You don't have any sort of muscle since you sit all day. Not even the epic calvez fat fucks get if they walked.

2) If you buy a rower you're gonna kill yourself in 2 minutes or less. You're too fat to use it properly. I can just barely use the thing without smashing my balls to pieces because my thigh fat gets in the way. IDK if you can even do a proper form with a gut like you have.

3) You're not gonna lose weight with just a rower. You won't be able to use it long enough. Diet first, when once you drop to 250ish consider it.

4) Concept2 is the standard, w/ a waterrower you can't compare your stats to other people since the computers read differently. Since this shit is out in the open I got a Waterrower since it looks better, but a concept2 is cheaper/arguably better.

5) Stop being a fat fuck and go out for a walk. And no more twinkies.

1300, so I can die on the machine.

My size 46 feet are very strong and I can walk far for being overweight. I just sweat and get out of breath easily.

I didn't need advice apart from the price of the rowing machine.

1) I haven't said that I'm not fat.
2) I have used a rowing machine and I enjoy it, it will be of a lot of use to me.
3) I do not aim to lose weight as my first goal.
4) I did find the concept 2 as another user recommended, it's about the same price really.
5) I am fat I stated that walks are too boring for me, a major part in exercise is having fun.

I'm a reforming fatty myself and there are numerous good reasons to have a rower.
1. If you're having back and leg stiffness, it will really help stretch you out.
2. You'll know right away which of your muscles are the weakest because it works your entire body.
3. It's low impact. As a fatty, I've just started jogging after losing 50 pounds, because attempting that early on would explode my knees.
4. You'll always feel better afterwards.

Some things about walks that I like are varying up my routes, listening to music (trying to keep pace with a fast beat), going faster and lengthening my stride. As I said before, I've started integrating jogging in intervals now.

I row while watching TV, specifically sporting events being jealous of world class athletes.

I bought a Concept 2 rower. It was $1,000 and worth every penny.

Finally someone who understands!

All those applies to me and it's what I have been thinking about.

Good to hear, user.

I'm sure I'll change my mind about walking once I get into exercising.

Any decent used rowing machine that wont break in a week is $700 and hard to find. New are always more than $1000.

You really should just stop being a faggot and walk. You could take up fishing local creeks for under $100 and get in 2-3 miles while having fun.

After a few months of fast walking, lifting light weights and rowing, I added in basketball and finally getting to the driving range with the improving weather and walking some hills with grades above 10 degrees.

I didn't read the whole thread, but all of this was combined with cutting out fast food entirely along with sugary drinks, then making manageable dietary changes after that. Less portions, more fruits and vegetables and that was the hardest part for me. After that, any amount of exercise is just daily routine.

I'm addicted to seeing my clothes fit better and seeing bodily changes all over.

Can someone please explain to me why you would spend $1000 on a rower when you can achieve the same results by simply eating less?

Rowing works the hamstrings, quads, thoracic spine, rear delts, and is cardio. Also puts a good stretch on your calves and ankles.

If being a fatty who sits 12 hrs a day has made you a cripple with short tendons, only full ROM activites like rowing provide a one stop mobility solution that is also low impact.

There are benefits to working out other than weight loss. In fact, they vastly outweigh weight loss. Welcome to Veeky Forums please read the sticky.

>I have used a rowing machine and I enjoy it, it will be of a lot of use to me.

How much have you used the rowing machine before? The vast majority of people who have experience using ergs for any serious workout will tell you it is complete hell. The only reason people use it, is because the river they row on is probably frozen..

So are you saying the erg is useless?

>american tier obese

lol fuck off i've been gorging myself on shitty american food without exercise for 20 years and i was 270 pounds at my worst. (6 feet tall) 240 now, a few weeks into turning my fitness around

Don't insult bears. Bears are strong, you are weak.
Sage this bait.

alright faggot if this isnt bait post yourself in a shirt, no face, so you can see your fat fucking self on the screen you have wasted your pathetic fat life in front of