Martial Arts

A thread to discuss all martial arts.

Got my first boxing fight coming up in a couple of months. Does anyone with experience have any pointers to share? Tricks for weight cutting, dealing with the nerves, things you don't expect. Any extra training advice is appreciated too.

Other urls found in this thread:

expertboxing.com/boxing-strategy/boxing-styles/how-to-beat-a-shorter-boxer
youtube.com/watch?v=26ftWDNReLc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

avoid getting punched in the face

I generally do, I'm a tall fighter and I use it.

PUNCH HARDER

Try to put yourself in stressful situations and then try to remain calm

Working on it! I've been trying to switch into kill mode because I'm a very relaxed person.

Do you speak from experience? I'm not a guy who tends to get nervous, I have no problems with public speaking for example.

If you lose it'll be by punch to the liver.
Almost 100% sure of it

Body shots definitely hurt me more than head shots. I haven't been dropped to the body in 13 years of on/off training so I'm confident I'll get through it.

I don't know how much sparring you've done, but you're probably gonna panic after you get wobbled, the adrenaline is gonna make you gass out very fast, so try to waste very little energy.
Or just be reborn as Lomachenko.

Have you done any sparring matches?
Stay relaxed, watch your enemy.
Weather he's angry or afraid relaxation gives you the upper hand

I would estimate off the top of my head I've done about 500 rounds in my life. Whenever I have been badly wobbled in training we tended to ease off or stop the session so it's something to keep in mind for sure. I'll work on my turtling up and clinching.

Im a taller boxer too
I can take a million power shots to the head but i took one to the liver and couldnt move.
Maybe it was the weight cut, i was starving.
But as a taller fighter your core streches out more especially during sidesteps and leanbacks, so if you get punched while trying to pullcounter you'll be really hurt.
Also try not to talk at all, i almost got disqualifide for that. If its amature, dont get punched at all.
The ref might count those pussy punches as knock downs of they move your head slightly.

mindset is key. go in there looking forward to the fight, be excited that it's happening. remember to breathe. trust your training. protect yourself at all times is the first rule of boxing for a reason; just about everyone will foul you on purpose because refs are shit and even if caught they just get a pointless warning as long as it isn't super obvious (elbows, etc). Prioritize sprints over distance running for your conditioning because all of your early fights are going to be short as fuck. get your nose cauterized.

>Maybe it was the weight cut, i was starving.

Mind sharing your height and your out of competition, training and fight weights?

>Also try not to talk at all, i almost got disqualifide for that.

kek what were you saying?

>The ref might count those pussy punches as knock downs of they move your head slightly.

Good point. I'm a constantly moving volume puncher, not a power hitter, so that could play into my hands.

Look kid, i was like you once, full of hope and dreams.
Untill that day, i was so close.
The guy was scared and wabbely.
He couldnt walk straight, but he got me right in the gut.
I stood up before my gloves touched the ground but i couldnt tell the reff i was ok.
God dammit kid, win for me and for abu basher (some kazakhstani guy, same thing happened to him)
You gotta win kid

>show me somethin sucka, you ain't nothin, you hit like a girl

Im 70 kilos out
64 in
190 cm

I got him with a good hook to the chin, and then two more so he started running.
I said "come here mother fucker"

I hope you got good stamina

One more thing, the reff gave me the count even though i wasnt hit at all.
Dont argue with him or he'll take off points

I only do and did fullcontactkarate fights but I think its probably more or less the same from the feelings,

My advice to you, stay the fuck calm at the beginning. U will have an adrenalinrush through ur body and mine and u will 99% get a tunnelview, so its very important to stay calm and not fighting like a monkey. U have to feel the ground, your body, ur fists. breath slow and study ur opponent, how he walks and attacks. after maybe 30sec when cool down a little bit u can start fighting. The faster u get in the normal state the better it is.

If there are extra lights it will be way hotter than you think, you'll get exhausted a lot quicker. Also immediately take the middle of the ring, if it's close that will make a HUGE difference.

This might help you then:

expertboxing.com/boxing-strategy/boxing-styles/how-to-beat-a-shorter-boxer

Practice breathing prior to the fight. 3-4 second inhales from the nose, followed by 8-10 second exhales from your mouth. Don't hope your opponent is having a bad day or coming into the fight with a broken hand -- if you do that, you're setting yourself up for the possibility of giving less than your 100%. Hope your opponent had a good night's sleep and a great meal, and is a talented fighter that will force you to overcome and give it everything you've got. It's much better to be mentally prepared for the toughest fight of your life than to waltz in hoping you're fighting a 12 year old boy.

Just because you're not supposed to burn yourself out in the first round doesn't mean you should let the other guy kick it up to 100% while you try to pace yourself. Be cool, be strategic, but be ready to match your opponent's intensity at a moment's notice.

WIN. SLOWLY. Don't expect to turn the tables over the course of a minute by landing a killer combination. While it might happen, it's a much safer bet to try to establish a clear dominance and slowly having your opponent yield more opportunities for you to take the offensive and put the hurt on him. Try to make the fight one steady jog where you are constantly one step ahead of him, and he'll eventually break. You might get hit, you might slip, and have to compensate and try harder to stay above him, but keep this as a general rule and you'll notice your opponent's body, strategy and spirit begin to deteriorate. When that happens, you can start to ramp up the instensity, leave him well behind and, hopefully, land the killing blow.

Keep your hands up and your chin down.

Chin ups or pullups for boxing?

Get knocked out first round.
That way we can all go home early and shitposting up a storm on our favourite pinoy pie pastry preparation parley site in peace.

Unironically kipping pullups

chin ups, biceps are important for hooks nad uppercuts

been training muay thai for 2 months and I get scared when sparring

can't help you yet, pal

oh, don't lose your shit or you legs balance.

How do I escape a double wrist grab where they hold my wrists from the pinky finger side?

Saw some vids and they mostly instructed escapes from thumb side wrist grabs.

youtube.com/watch?v=26ftWDNReLc
Throw two frisbees

Do more cardio than you think you'll need

Bas Rutten never did that thing where you dehydrate yourself before the fight then drink loads after you get weighed so you're heavier than your opponent because he says it made him sick and weaker by the time of the fight because it's not a long enough time to get better so the weight advantage isn't worth it

Get deliberately wobbled in training then work on what to do then to avoid going down
Have your coach/training partner seriously put the pressure on you, maybe with real-fight gloves and no headgear or something but get a taste of what it's like to actually get punched in the face

>Tricks for weight cutting
First - cut all sweets and sugar, some fruit is okay though. If you need to cut on a short notice before the fight, dehydration is the only way, it sucks ass but you can get used to it if you train your body do take it.

>dealing with the nerves
Nothing beats sparring here. As soon as you know who your opponent will be, try to find a guy as tall as him and with a similar reach to spar. Make sure to have serious a few rounds of sparring (about 70-90% power) about twice a week.

>Any extra training advice
Try philly shell defense. It could work miracles if you're a lanklet. Roll that front shoulder to defend against his cross and return a 2-3 combo. Remember, straight punches are the lanklet's greatest and most effective tool.

Forget about pick-a-boo and defend your body with them forearms. As other anons pointed out, a shorter fighter will most surely try to attack that liver of yours. Wait for that uppercut/hook to the liver after he throws a 1-2 and fuck him up with a powerful right cross.

Just keep your distance and avoid using too many slips and bob and weaves; shorter fags prey on that and just wait for an opportunity. Jab him into oblivion and make sure you train shoulder roll - cross, it really is that effective against just about anything except incredible head movement.

Terrible fucking idea.

Getting hit and getting rocked are miles apart. If you want to lose your chin and suffer brain damage you will purposefully try to get rocked

I'm a 6'5 skelly who's just started lifting

A kickboxing gym has opened up near me, bit expensive but I'm curious. Should I wait until I bulk up more? I've got the same muscle mass as bubble wrap currently and my punches probably have all the power of a sneeze from an athsmatic old man

If you want to kickbox then go, if you don't want to don't go.
It's not that fucking hard.

I've been in a couple boxing fights. Won one. Turn off your head monologue, don't think just use your training. Breathe etc and listen to your corner.

I did Tae Kwon-Do for like 5 years, and would cry whenever I got punched hard in the nose. (I gave it up when I was 14, wanna go back in, but I've gotten fair heavy)

Chin down, hands up, and have fun.

Why are you getting punched in the nose in TKD? Also that literally doesn't hurt me at all

Just go

spar with me op?

I'm not saying let yourself get KO'd to experience it, I'm saying get your partner to put some pressure on you like a real match would offer.
No use training if you're not gonna train to the level of toughness you'll need.

I already do full chinups, why should I kip pullups?
Btw, cant do full pullups, not even one, but can kip about 6 or 8 of them

How many hours should I spend training Muay Thai per day? I go train 4 times per week but I want to get good fast. Should I upgrade from one hours sessions to two?

First fight? Don't forget to breathe! The adrenaline rush you'll get will make this hard but try and remember you need air to move and punch.

In the amatuers you shouldn't be weight cutting, you have same day weigh-ins anyway so it's healthier and easier to just stay at fighting weight. If you can't manage it properly, move up a couple of pounds.

Nerves will pass over time, the more you do something the easier it gets. You should always feel at least a little flutter before a fight though, it is a dangerous sport after all. Train hard, spar people better than you and practise relentlessly, you're a lot less nervous when you know you've prepared well

I didn't expect to get so tired in the first few fights. Seriously, you are going to be dead on your feet. Just listen to your coach in between rounds and keep pushing

Sharkbait drills. You're in the ring for 6+ full rounds of sparring, fight pace, but every minute you get a fresh opponent. Really helps weed out those who don't have the mental toughness for fighting, without causing long term damage

Just go and check it out ya pansy

I was an obese stoner when I first walked into a boxing gym and wound up fighting for four years. You'll be fine