Rugby

Anyone on Veeky Forums play rugby? All my friends play on a collegiate rugby team, and they want me to join, will rugby ruin my Gainz or improve them?

Also how much serious injury comes with playing rugby? I would hate it if I had to stop lifting for a while or even longer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SSl80lZKnUk
youtube.com/watch?v=yFxMQfySywM
youtube.com/watch?v=FnYcRXVVcoI
youtube.com/watch?v=84eow3VAfF8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it will put your gainz to use. being big/muscular for and from rugby is far more respectable than aesthetics and shit. Also its great fun and makes you tough, not just looking tough.
Its probably a little more dangerous than soccer for example, but the really bad injuries, especially knee injuries can happen in any sport.
i played yesterday and i might have hurt my knee, i dont know yet. There is no game after that i aint bruised around the whole body and especially around the shoulders. but that doesnt stop anyone who isnt a pussy

Keep in mind though that if you want to play rugby at a decent standard, you're going to have to incorporate a lot of speed/power exercises and not just do a brosplit.

But yeah, some of the biggest, most intimidating people I know play rugby and will always be the biggest person in the room. Had a mate when I was 18 who was 6 foot 6 and 270 pounds...Not fun to play against

youtube.com/watch?v=SSl80lZKnUk

Rugby can lead to some nasty injuries, but isn't massively more dangerous than any other contact sport. As long as you fully commit to the contact and don't be a pussy you'll greatly minimize your chances of injuries

i dont know about the different levels. but i dont even hit gym. but it should be possible to do your whatever you already do workout and attend rugby training and then you should be fine

That would be fine for a social standard of rugby yeah

Do it, good cardio

if your friends drag you to rugby that would be the first step, i assume op isnt underage.
Also understanding all the little aspects of the game makes up for many physical imperfections

I dont understand (and this is as a player) how professional rugby players (mainly forwards) are able to train so hard and so consistently with the amount of injuries.

After a match I'm out for like 2 days, can't even think of lifting, can't train and lift on the same day becuase I'm physically exhausted, and if I ever got a serious injurie like shoulder or ACL then I'd not be able to lift for like a year.

>tfw our club's backs are bigger than our second row

Rugby will give you physical, social and mental gains. I play for my school in the US and honestly, I think it's the best decision I've made in my college career. Great group of dudes to lift, study and be degenerates with.

Play rugby OP, you won't regret it

Sterons, user.

Genetics, mostly. The academy selection process is brutal and only the biggest, strongest, fastest (often all three) will be picked by the end of it. In the U.K you'll have only 3 or 4 players being picked from a squad of like 30

it doesn't matter how much you're juicing, if you're shoulder's dislocated you can't bench press

i mean here's david pocock's fucking hand, how are you meant to lift ANYTHING when you're held together with little bits of bike chain and yet pocock is bigger than most bodybuilders

I do think Pocock was on steroids as a kid though, apparently he gained close to 20kg in a year in high school

Hell yeah it will

Yeah this user actually knows. Have 50 guys start training 4-5 times a week when they are eight years old. Same team, same exercises, same dedication. After a while, some leave the team and after a decade of training, the wheat is separated from the chaff.
Tendon attachments, muscle insertions, talent, ability to recover are all genetically determined. You can bust your ass all day long, at some point there will be people that train just as hard and are genetically gifted. Such is life

A question for any players.

I've been doing bodyweight and running for years and today I'm 5'9'' 130 lbs. Can I normally play rugby or by being skinnier than every other player I'm gonna have increased chance of injury/accident in every collision? Should I stay with solo sports or give it a try? I wouldn't bulk since I plan to go to boxing after I finish college and weight would be bad.

as i stated im dyel but if i play sunday, training on tuesday is no problem

Exactly. Take a pool of genetically gifted freaks, have them pick up a rugby ball when they first start walking, get them in the gym at 14-15, and by the time they potentially go pro they're going to be built like mountains

The latter, especially if you're wanting to play a decent standard. At your height weight I'd recommend scrum half, and you'd want to bulk to like 160 maybe? Depends where your body is currently

Sorry user, just read you didn't want to bulk. Honestly I'm probably overstating the bulk thing, I'm guessing you're playing at a social standard so just go out and have fun, no one really gives much of a shit about height and weight at that standard

I don't know a lot about sports, but how common are roids in Rugby Union?

Would play tennis if we had a grass court. I don't want to fuck up my knees running on hard floor.

At the lower levels, massively (especially the Welsh, everyone and their mother is taking steroids) Professionally, rare, though a few questionable physiques

playing rugby is better than lifting/cardio/nothing at all if you want to start boxing i guess. you dont join a club and wont be able to scratch your back two weeks later. I know ists an odd saying but rugby has room for all shapes and sizes. Ofcourse a man of a 6´2 240lbs frame will play a different role on the pitch than you, but anyone can be an asset. (In my team for example, we bully other teams with our big forwards but we sure could use more fast and skilled back better than another big forward) just dont be a fragile skeleton

I imagine steroid use in professional is comparable to other contact sports but in rugby, size isn't necessarily everything. Players are better off working their skills and running than becoming beefcakes

Power, more than size is important, it's just that training for power often involves developing size

basically yeah

wear head gear. idgaf if you think you look like a cunt. Wish someone had made me desu, I had too fucking many concussions in my teens.

No one cares about headgear really, everyone wears one

headgear isnt for concussion prevention, its orignally to keep the ears of locks attached to their heads

lovely, gainz put to use

that and just a general sense of confidence going into the contact

i have its great

bro, just flex your brain before contact

>fragile skeleton

At moment I can do 5x10 dips, 5x5 Lpulls, 5x10 elevated push ups and planche leans. Is this enough?

What about free weights?

must be common now then. few used to wear them.

OK. I'll change it to *wear head gear if your going to nut people in mauls just in case

>Contact
Tried that, wasn't fun

I only do bodyweight, dont know.

There's a great culture around rugby that gives you a total platform for your social life and physical improvement.

Loads of fun.

Can't stress the first one enough, social gains are definitely made

I am 5'10, is there a place for me in low level rugby?

loooooaaaaads of top level players are 5 10 user, go for it

just show up, do the training sessions and let the coach be the judge. rugby training has literally no downsides or restrictions

Dude fucking start living your life. You won't need your knees that much when you're 60 years old. But not playing a sport like tennis because you are afraid of your knees is stupid imo.

Exactly, it's an extremely inclusive sport when guy pictured played at the highest level

Oi lads, what's the social life like in your clubs

I moved from a pretty serious team to a drinking team which occasionally play rugby. Our socials are more practiced and structured than our game play. Do you boys have different masters? What games do you lot play?

We have a game called station fruit, where you have to either associate a station to the previous person's fruit or vice versa. You have to provide an explanation for why and if you get it wrong you down your drink. Except that only a few people "know" the rules and everyone suspects that there are actually no rules at all so it's a massive pisstake.

as i mentioned, that guy compensated with world class game understanding and decisionmaking

wat?

I'm gonna try next session.

I don't know why you enjoy this. I like a beer or wine like once a year but drinking to get drunk is unfunny. I drank heavy less than 10 times in my life and at it lost the appeal when I hit 20.

Social, lad. DYES? Rugby lads top lads, Rugger mugger sister bugger etc. etc. DYER

OP here, I'm probably gonna do it, I come from a family of tough ass Cajuns and I feel like I definitely could be tougher, also just met some of the players and they are some fun ass don't give a fuck people, my kinda shit

M8 if you don't enjoy getting drunk in a rugby club I don't know what on earth you're doing. Work hard, rugby hard, drink hard brother

wat? was directed at the station fruit game as a did not understand it

good to hear that.but cut out that ((probably))

I'm not denying that for a second, it's more to my point that physique comes second a lot of the time to pure game understanding

yup

But is still an important part; could you imagine how out of this world Goode would have been if he was explosive, powerful and fast as well as having god tier game understanding?

A bunch of my friends play rugby and have been trying to get me into it as well.
Now that my back isn't bothering me anymore, I'm going to join. They got like 1 game left this season though, and I don't know how it goes during the off-season... So we'll see when I'm actually going to start.

Not sure how I'm going to perform, as I'm a small guy (5'7, 165), but not very agile/fast.
We'll see how much Rippetoe's teachings help in rugby.

>Brother user, the starting station for this game is Waterloo. If Waterloo happens to be the station, what fruit would you associate it with ?
>Well... Brothers, waterloo happens to be on the bakerloo, jubilee, waterloo, and northern lines. These stations all happen to be of brown, grey, blue, and black colours respectively, so the fruit's colour at first glance would appear to be relatively conservative and non-descript. This leeds to me to be inclined to believe it would be the Kiwi
>But wait! Far from being conservatively coloured, the kiwi, despite its drab appearance, is actually remarkably brightly coloured on the inside. So it cannot be the kiwi. So I'll go instead for a fruit very similar to the kiwi. Which in this case means the kumquat.
>Hmm... Brother Measures, what do you think of this answer?
>Well, Brother Drinks Master, I could see where he was going, and I thought he almost had it there for a second, but he just couldn't make the final intuitive leap of reasoning. So I'm afraid to say, that's wrong. Top it up with guinness and see it off.
>Right. Now, brother user n.2, were Kumquat the CORRECT answer, what tube station would you associate it with?

Are you strong?

yeah, but he did pretty well and now serves as an obvious example of how importand mind is

>played for a couple of years
>didn't even get fit
>team was shit
>we didn't even speak to each other out of the camp
>coach made a shit job at explaining tactics and shit
>never learned anything
>never won a game

And then I stopped playing and never went back, pity because it's the only sport I've ever liked.

????????

actually the best timing to start. watch that last game and train with the for the first game of next season

Sorry to hear that lad. Come join my team, I'm this bloke and we talk to each other all the time, coach ourselves, and somehow hold ourselves up in Div 1.

Agreed. I've also met the bloke, great guy

Literally spelt out how the game is played m8. If you can't figure that out you don't have the awareness needed for rugby or you're a prop

you sound like a massive douche

Which country do you live in? If the U.K there are so many clubs around, find one that suits you

ok user, ok.

Southern europe, sorry lads.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

I play in Germany our rugby culture isnt as great/weird as in the typical rugby countries (but still way better than any other sport around here)

He does a little bit

Move country desu

i would have guessed so

I played in germany at heidelberg for a while (on tour, not with their club). Heidelberg had a decent culture actually, a bit of nude streaking here and there.

Sorry you're not a fan of station fruit lad :'-) it bamboozles even the best of us. I'm quite partial to a good game of the witch, the bismarck, bunnies, rifle ranger, and Daddy daddy no.

U.K rugby culture can be fucking strange sometimes, but always top bants

Upper Body yes, Lower Body relatively weak because of back issues I had. I'm now doing SS for a couple of weeks to get my Squat and Deadlift back up. But yeah, overall I'm probably "strong" for my size. Not necessarily by Veeky Forums-standards, but definitely for normies.

Yeah, that's the plan.

What team do you support out of interest?

i was the original "wat?", not that ??? guy.
i understood and i play prop, everyone knows locks are the most stupid

That's a great start user, you'll have a massive leg up at a social level rugby wise. Make sure to really focus on lower body development especially, getting dat dere speed and power gains

I wish.

I understood none of your references.

Yeah, but you wouldn't say it to their face

i went on a little tour including a game against the home club of one of our players in england. That was great fun. We have Traditions and Games here too, but we dont go in that deep we have no master or that stuff.

We do stuff together from time to time but i´d wish a drinking evening or a pub crawl or that shit would happen more regularly after games

Nw m8, was just baiting. And yeah locks who aren't lineout masterminds are usually thick as pigshit, and I say this as a back/second row utility.

Top bantz full stop lad. Never stop the bants

youtube.com/watch?v=yFxMQfySywM this might help with bunnies
youtube.com/watch?v=FnYcRXVVcoI this is the bismarck

On the others I can't help

Very big fan of the bismarck

You need to bulk and build a strength base. Boxing will sure as shit slim you down from all the cardio, but if you have a good strength base you can keep a lot of it even after the cardio takes some mass back off thanks to CNS gains.

im actually taller than the average lock at our club

when you start rugby and are big -> start by playing lock
when youre small -> wing

Make it happen then user, politely nudge the team towards going out for drinks after matches; you don't have to get plastered, just a few drinks

Play rugby enough and soon enough you'll turn Samoan and leave humanity behind

youtube.com/watch?v=84eow3VAfF8

Bismarck is top tier. bunnies is god tier when you have the celebrity starts: the ben johnson celebrity start is almost as good as the manchester university girls hockey team one

that seems pretty lame tbqh

It is, I justlike it

ofcourse we always have beers right after, its the norm that the home team hands out atleast one case of beer also bratwurst is mandatory.
I think the culture also depends on the people we have some university students (me included) but the most guys have regular jobs and often wife and kids. So on the occasions where a party isn´t planned long before (season end, christmas party) its always just a few guys.

But damn, it is great to hit the pubs with some guys from our and the opponent team all in shirt and club tie

My Friends and I have a game we call 3/4ths, you can only play it with 1-2 people who are new to the game at a time.
The rules
>you dont explain to them the rules
>every one takes a turn saying a word with 3/4ths before it
>when its the new players turn they are wrong NO MATTER WHAT, dont explain why they are wrong just offer replacement words
>the new players should get frustrated but you need to string them along so take breaks, tell them they got close, if they had said sign post instead of fence post, etc.

Its great, maybe we should start a rugby team

Brilliant idea