Redpill me on lat pulldowns

Redpill me on lat pulldowns

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ImATh1ZTffc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're good for your lats

For people too DYEL to do pull ups

correct

If you're lifting more than you weigh, wouldn't you just be puling yourself to the bar?
Is that not just a pullup machine for people who can't actually lift themselves?

There for if you can't do a pull-up
Great for skeletons
> I would know

u ppl are goddam retards i swear, do pull ups before this and then do this and go for 3-4x8-12 and you will experience gains beyond your wildest imagination, dont let autistic neckbeards deter u from getting bat wings user

Not necessarily.
Lat pulldowns do not do much to help get a first pull-up, the movement is not the same.

Negative pull-ups and band assisted pull-ups are a much better option for those who struggle with getting a single pull-up.
(also worth noting the assisted pull-up machine you see in many gyms is a pretty bad option also, as it changes the natural posture of the movement, which means it doesn't help learn normal pull-ups very well)

Obviously all that said, stronger lats will help pull-ups generally. But learning a pull-up is as much about teaching your body to move correctly as it is about strength.

Anyway, Lat pulldowns are a great way to work the lats hard. A good assistance to most of the big strength movements. The lats serve a function in deadlifts, squats, bench and OHP.
I would recommend doing lat pulldowns in the later half of at least two workouts each work.

Pic is my back. If you think I'm not in any shape to give advice then feel free to ignore this post :)

>at least two workouts each work.

Each week*

pfffft, I looked like you after my first month

Ur knees are locked under the thingy so this doesnt happen bro

DYELs are great at pullups because of their light weight though.

Why don't people use reverse grip on these? Most people tend to do chin ups over pull ups, so why is that not the case with lat pulldowns?

>Wide grip wide back bruuuh.

Really though its mostly because of monkey see monkey do. People just copy what they see others doing.

Doing supinated grip pull-downs is a great way to work the biceps and lats together. Worth doing.

All I know is that "Dorian Yates" (who?) said rows and rowing motions are quite more effective than pulling things.

>who you gonna call ?

People who start off skinny maybe

Only old people do them because they can't do push ups.

because, differently than pull/chin ups, it's not a compound movement

They're good for overloading your lats. People tend to think they need to grip as wide as the bar goes. Don't do this unless you want to slow your progress. Grip width should always be natural ie you raise your arms directly up and grip there. They also help you incorporate more of a rowing motion into pullups. Always arch your back, and don't do that girly shit where you basically pushdown the bar when you reach your chest.

>Movement at multiple joints
>Not a compound movement

Stop talking about things you don't understand.

Yeah, that's my thinking too as a replacement for weighted chins when I can't be fucked to load up the dip belt.

I find chin ups easier as a skelly

good for burnouts

lat pulldowns aren't as good as widegrip pullups for building big lats, but it does have its uses. for instance, if you're too bulky/fat to pull yourself up.

dont do pull-ups every back workout tho, that'll really ruin your rotator cuff especially if you do other exercises that can hurt your rotator cuff (eg barbell benchpress) i recommend switching on and off lat pulldowns and pullups

my fuck, who is this grill?

I do both and I can do bw pull-ups x10 faglord

I think the constant tension from doing a row is good for your back but doing a wide variety of back exercises will always been better than sticking to rowing

Pull-ups are for stick people and manlets, lad.

t. fatass whos too lazy to give up his donuts

good for lats, also good warmup before.

i'm not dyel, im just 230 pounds and have weak biceps and back

LAT PULL DOWNS INFERIOR TO PULL UPS IN EVERY SINGLE WAY

how is being 230lb relevant? you should be doing pull-ups with 3 plates added at that kind of muscle mass levels

but I guess you're a fatshit?

you're assuming he's a lean 230lbs, which he hasnt claimed to be, and that he trains pull ups, which he hasnt claimed to do

Because it's harder to do pull-ups when you're heavier, fucking retard

This is very true when the extra weight brings no additional muscle mass. So...clearly this guy is a fucking fatass.

So the Mexicans at Golds Gym have have something else to hog for 35 mins that isn't the 30lb dumbbells they use for their 10x20 sets of curls.

Worth doing if you use the single handed grips. I have a lat imbalance, so any unilateral work I can do helps.

youtube.com/watch?v=ImATh1ZTffc

i am too fat to do a pullup

>bw pull-ups
>having to specify that the pullups were unassisted

great job proving his point

PLS HELP

I always see this argument...do you not realize you can do heavy lat pull-downs? Like weighted chins, but you don't need a belt. Go for the whole stack.