What were some major political movements/social upheavals throughout history in which the underdog came out on top?

What were some major political movements/social upheavals throughout history in which the underdog came out on top?

peloponesian war

Their appropriation of the word "normie" is one of the biggest atrocities of our time.
Even pewdiepie complains about "normies" getting hold of memes now.

Interesting topic. Shame you you used a meme image trying to pretend the "alt-right" will have any major influence on history.

That being said.. Would the Wars of the Three Kingdoms fit this profile?

Anyone who says "normie" is a colossal normalfag

Where do I start with Chinese history?

the union in the american civil war

The dixies weren't underdogs?

>Reddit ruins a word
What a susprise

dixies had significantly more able marksman and calvary at the start of the war, and the confederates had the advantage and momentum until Antietam.

Doesn't matter if the Union had a massive industrial and population advantage.

What 'appropriation'? 'normie' was from its very beginning a way to repackage 'normalfag' in a social-media friendly way. It was never some unsullied private part of Veeky Forums vernacular it was literally THE OPPOSITE, a distortion of Veeky Forums speech to make it palatable to the internet at large. If you think 'normie' was some significant part of Veeky Forums that was stolen and tarnish you are undoubtedly a cancerous newfag who doesn't know jack about shit.

This, you loose-hair tacos

Nice trips

Also, speaking only in the US context, most any social movement that ended up in some way victorious started out as a small movement.

Examples include: civil rights mov't, women's vote/liberation/whatever you want to call it, gay rights mov't, unionism, etc.

given, but
>population
training soldiers takes time
>massive industry
had to gear up for war because of america's essential lack of a professional army. training workers, increasing capacity, and actually filling the need takes time.

the confederate soldiers already had arms and needed little training in comparison. i would argue enough to win a quick war, but it wasn't a quick war.

It's literally the same notion. Tacking on "fag" is inconsequential.

it's not inconsequential since most other gay-ass forums would consider it a form of hate speech (looking at you leddit). scent of a newfag, etc

Be honest with me. What year did you start posting on Veeky Forums.

"fag" does not change the meaning of the word at all.

>other forums
newfag

>fag is inconsiquential
nomrie is merely a descriptor, while normalfag clearly show derision and insult. see above.

At the same time, "fag" on here has become completely colloquial. Buyfag, Xfag, Yfag. I've probably referred to myself as fag so many times it's unbelievable

It's used in positive, negative and neutral ways.
>X fag
>Y fag
It just means "this is a kind of person"

No the Union pretty much had it in the bag from day 1

I'm almost incredulous someone who started posting in 2010 would attach the site so strongly to a word that didn't even become common use until years later.

why?

Massive industrial and manpower difference

It's not about ownership, it's about the degradation of its meaning.

"Normies" was never common vernacular on Veeky Forums until 2015 and it wasn't the 'oldfags' that made it popular then. There was no 'degradation' of 'normies' because the term in itself was a degradation of 'normalfags' in order to make it amenable to every platform of social-media. 'normies' is essentially 'normalfag' with the 'Veeky Forums' taken out. The aspects of it that made it particular to Veeky Forums specifically and not reddit or twitter or 9gag. It's not a coincidence 'normies' exploded in popularity across the internet and 'normalfag' never did. One is syntactically and culturally linked to a single website by its very construction and the other is sheared of any particular prejudice or cultural requisites making it ready-made to be posted absolutely anywhere.

Holy shit this is really important to you isn't it?
They do mean the same thing "those people are mainstream and we are better than them."
"fag" is completely inconsequential to its meaning, sure it's a cultural marker but it doesn't actually mean anything apart from what i already said above.
It annoys me to see the term gaining widespread usage among, for example, the fanbase of the most subscribed person on youtube. Since, by what stretch of the imagination are they not "normal"?

Do you know what is a quarter-tone in music? Like a note in between C and C#. You can't call it C because it isn't. That's what "normalfag" is. It doesn't just mean "boring, ordinary and lame" it also conveys "I'm a special sort of person who understands in a special sort of way". It carries with it the speakers place and his involvement in the site. If you say "normalfag" I understand where you're at, see? Now if you go around spouting "normies this" and "normies that" there's nothing that makes that inherently 'Veeky Forums', you could and probably would be someone from reddit, twitter, 9gag, twitch or anyone of those many many other sites where 'normies' finds itself perfectly comfortable. Nothing about 'normies' IS Veeky Forums in the way that 'normalfag' is born specifically out of the site and its culture.

>It doesn't just mean "boring, ordinary and lame" it also conveys "I'm a special sort of person who understands in a special sort of way"
And that's exactly what they mean by "normie"

No it doesn't because the word is sheared of its particularity as I elaborated in the post. Without that unique aspect it loses its unique meaning.

Your post is nothing but pseud garbage.
It's like saying "waifufag" and "someone who has a waifu" mean different things, they don't.
The only thing it tells you is where it is being posted, which is irrelevant to the meaning.

Your poor example tells me you've utterly failed to understand what I've written but I hope some anonymous lurkers see what I mean.

And if you want to claim that "normalfag" implies some sort of allegiance to this website, it fucking doesn't.
Would you describe chris chan or a group of diaperfags from deviantart as normalfags? i fucking wouldn't.

Alexander vs Darius III