Injuries /General/

Had some neck spasms last week. Pretty tight at my neck.

Is it okay to workout? Or does your neck get involved in majority of compound exercises?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah it does.
Traps attach to your neck and there is alot of smaller muscles that attach from your scapula to your neck which are also involved in traps movements.
So i wouldnt do any deadlifts or rows. You can try pull ups. also pressing overhead can aggravate it but pulling is a no no

Had a similar thing last week op, Luckily it only lasted 24 hours though. I'm fairly old and notice I get minor gainz gobbling injuries fairly regularly although rarely when actually lifting. All my injuries are work related or from everyday stuff. I pinched a nerve or sprained a muscle getting off the floor after helping my old man out yesterday and I couldn't walk this morning, I think my training is out the window for the rest of the week.
Does anyone else take pain meds and bust through their routine or just wait for it to heal? Ive been taking co-codamol + Ibuprofen and can function now, hoping I'm going to be well enough tomorrow.

I got tasered today and now I've got like three strained muscles on my back and chest.

What do?

I have a hip impingement. I went to the physio and found out yesterday.
No squats, leg press or power movements for like a month as well as extra stretching
I had to create a new routine based off 5/3/1 sans squats. how does this work brahs?

Day A
>Overhead Press: 5/3/1
>DB bench: 5 x 10
>leg Curl: 5 x 10
>Incline DB curll: 3 x 12
>crunch: 3 x 20
>Rowing machine

Day B
>Deadlift: 5/3/1
>OHP: 5 x 10
>Chinup: 5 x 10
>Leg extension: 3 x 20
>skullcrusher: 3 x 12
>Plank: 5 x 30 sec
>Rowing machine

Day C
>BB bench: 5/3/1
>Deadlift: 5 x 10
>Pullup: 5 x 10
>Calf raises: 3 x 20
>Hammer curl: 3 x 12
>Ab wheel : 3 x 12
>rowing machine

should I switch up 5 x 10 deads for 5 x 10 romanian deadlifts?

How about squats?

boards.Veeky Forums.org/fit/thread/41038932#bottom

Should I be okay to do squats with my neck spasm?

>don't do movements that involve the traps or scapula
>do pull ups, which involve the scapula, and depending on how fucked your form is, traps as well

Is it okay to do squats or no?

Wouldn't do them if you have any pain when turning your head to the side.
Or if you feel discomfort or pain when the bar squeezes your traps.
Maybe try front squats to maintain until you can go back to regular squats.

how to avoid using traps in pullups??

> tfw muaythai/bjj fag

Honestly the brushing dosent bother me. It's my lower back that is painful and tight every morning into the afternoon. I've been using R8535 religiously and taking either alive/ibuprofen/robax to manage the pain in the morning but it's pretty much constant. I use hot and cold treatments that help and roll out and stretch for over an hour some nights. Am I just over training? I do 6-7, 1.5hr classes a week. Would lower back specific exercises help?

Assume good posture.
Shoulders back and down, activate your scapula in the initial phase of the pull up, pull yourself up in a straight line upwards (so no bending of the body, which will result in light swinging motion, just to throw your chin above the bar), focus your mind on using delts to make most of the arm motion (which will also take some work off your forearms, which could let you do more pull ups)

BUT if you have trouble with those above, there's an alternative.
Try to imitate the bench press. Chest forward, shoulders back, and instead of going just upwards, try to pull yourself to the bar in a way that you will touch it with your chest horizontally.
Pic related for reference.

thank you jesus, ill try it out next time

No problem, mate.

>muay thai
try not living in an asian ghetto, maybe that will help with your back problems

Crossfit jesus, op here. So no squatting allowed? The spasm in my neck happened right under my ear on my left side.

Scoliosis and deformed vertebrae missing 30%. Afraid to lift heavy. Couldn't jump on trampolines as a kid cause it made my back hurt badly from being compressed. Doctors are useless won't tell me anything, tried a physiotherapist. He had me fucking around with machines with the lowest weight possible. I think he was just trolling me.

My neck doesn't hurt when I look side to side. But it does get a funny feeling sometimes, like its going to spazz out again lol. The first week was pretty bad. It was swelling inside, which made me go to the doctor and they said it wasn't swollen lymph nodes or anything. Just a muscle spasm.

Let me rephrase. My neck is pretty tight right now.

When I first had the spasm, I never even noticed anything wrong. Just felt a swelling on the left side of my neck, but no stiffness. Wasn't hard to swallow or anything either.

So I went to the doctor, and no nodules or swollen lymph nodes detected. They just said it was a muscle spasm.

Fast forward a couple days, here I am wondering if I can still work out or not. Right now my symptoms just consist of really tight neck on the left side. But I can still look side to side??? So confused lol.

If it hurts or causes discomfort, then don't squat.
If you can squat with proper form and without any funny feelings despite it, then go for it.
I mean, it's under your ear, so you won't be fucking with it.

Weird. Maybe you're putting unncecessary pressure on that place, so it stays.

i fucked up my shoulder a while back whilst doing ohp

i heard a pop as i was pressing overhead and my whole right arm just gave out, dropped the weight and everything
took a week off and was back lifting no problem
now my shoulders (both) constantly pop and crack and all that other shit, but it doesn't hurt
safe to start doing ohp again?

If they're popping and cracking, you should look for a doctor. My knee did that and I thought nothing of it until it started getting swollen as fuck and then I learned I developed the highest level of condromalacia patella on both of them. Don't let a problem that may be small turn into something big like I did

i usually give my shoulders 2-3 weeks to heal no matter what. But if there's no pain, you should be fine..

Yeah weird right? I'm extra careful now when I yawn lol. Yawning is what caused it to begin with I think.

i've had the popping and cracking way before this injury
my shoulders have always been a problem area growing up, and even now
but yea, i probably should talk to a doc

i'll probably stick to isolation exercises for now as user above stated a doc visit should be good, i've been meaning to go for a while

The fuck are you made of? Glass? Lmao, that's weird as hell, mate.

Dude.. when I yawned... i opened my mouth too big or something and my neck cramped up LOL.

btw I have a long neck. lol

GLASS
L
A
S
S

Make some neck gains, bro. Giraffe necks are impressive.

>tfw i become the weirdo at the gym doing neck workouts at the cables.....

My chest diaphragm or sternum muscle cramped while I was in my sleep, woke up thinking I was having a heart attack. It feels bruised or something but it gets better every day.

Get a harness and do it at home.
Or do bridges. Iron Mike only did bridges and his neck was thick like holy shit.

>I got tasered today and now I've got like three strained muscles on my back and chest.