DUMB BELLS

Anyone have a good PPL routine using only dumbbells?

I've been doing a lot of thrusters and farmer's carry, but I want to make sure i hit everything. Do thrusters pull or only count as push?

I'm a 28yo skinnyfat guy, going for noob gains

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn7VbJX5sM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can't really do a good routine with dumbells only unless you have some weird ones that can load up to 40kg+ each.

Do you not have access to a gym?

Depends on how heavy your dumbbells go athleanX has a pretty good video about how to make the most out of a pair of 30lb dumbbells

not really. and i would rather do it from home anyway. i dont want to have to use barbells if i dont have to

thanks ive been watching that. im using 25lb dumbbells

bump

Just get bars like this. I can put about 100 lb on each.

>I want to get Veeky Forums but I don't want to put in the work
Shaking my head, family.

so you're saying its not possible to hit every muscle with only dumbbells? or that there is something else wrong with it?

i achieved ottermode from skellington in 1 year so its possible to get somewhat fit with only dumbells

thats awesome. what was your routine? any advice?

im not skellington though, im 25lbs overweight

check buff dudes and lee hayward dumbell workouts

You absolutely need an adjustable set, or else you will never be able to progress. Progressive overload is crucial.

I use dumbbells only in a push pull routine.

Push
Bench
OHP
Squat
Dips

Pull
Chins ups
Rows
Deadlifts
Curls

Squats also hit your pulling muscels with dumbbells, as you are not resting the weight on your back. My back has exploded on this routine.

You should also buy a bench, and a Chin up bar.

Let me know if you have an questions.

thanks ill check it out

Thanks. I only have 25 lb dumbbells now so I'm thinking of getting maybe some 10s, 15s, or 20s, not really sure

youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn7VbJX5sM
doesn't a dumbbell thruster like this technically hit everything? is it stupid to base your workout routine on only one compound movement like this? im scared to do some of the other things messing up my back due to poor form since im new to this. i was thinking of taking a crossfit prep class where they will teach me good form

if your autism is so severe that youcant go to a gym, recommend at least getting a bench press/barbell at home. can do the more memey core exercises that way. certainly will get further with that than dumbells lmao.

isn't it dangerous to bench without a spot? im doing this alone

yeah. it could fall on your chest and choke you to death. but thats a risk you have to take if youre too retarded to go to the gym.

How the hell do you expect to make your legs safely lift 250-500+ lbs using only dumbells?

You need heavier ones, not lighter ones. Goddamnit the whole point is to progress to lifting MORE weight. The smaller dumbells are good for burnout sets but not much else.

If you're using dumbells, theres not much risk of bodily injury. If it's too heavy just drop it.

Where do you get those type of thin plates? Are they decent price?

Buy an adjustable set, that goes up to 100 each side. You want to add weight not take it away, bozo.

I got mine off amazon. CAP barbell standard 1 inch cast iron plate

>40kg+ each.

Don't listen to this pathetic cunt.

>and i would rather do it from home anyway. i dont want to have to use barbells if i dont have to

NEVER
GOING
TO
MAKE
IT

Read the r/fitness sticky.

Buy a bench with a mechanism that bends the legs close to your head. Reach for it in an emergency. Back of your head will fall down onto the ground along with the barbell, but it won't hit you in the face since the plates will stop the bar before it does.

Just put a pillow on the floor there if you're afraid of a concussion.

If you set up the safeties correct the absolute worst that can happen is that the bar drops and touches your chest a bit before it's caught. It amazes me that people want to bench alone without them. There's literally no downsides if you bench with a proper form

Assuming those existed (they don't) that would sound like and excellent way of choking yourself on a barbell.

I do work out at home, and I don't have a barbell. I like it much better than going to a public gym. Depending on you goals, you can achieve good enough results, so don't listen to people saying you're not going to make it.

imo your best bet is to do bodyweight based training and supplement it with the dumbbells. You can make the BW compounds harder by supersetting them with DB exercises, eg. pushups+floor presses, pull ups+dumbbell rows. Also you can throw in some isolations on their own, there are a shitton of shoulder, biceps, triceps etc exercises with dumbbells. You can also do clean&jerks, snatches, swings etc. The possibilites are nearly endless.

Is there any real reason not to replace barbell bench with dumbbell bench until you run out of bigger dumbbells?

Is there any reason not to do dumbbell press rather than The Press?

No. The only case when you have to use barbell is when your main goal is to be good at barbell bench pressing (you are a powerlifter and/or your goal is to hit high number PRs). Dumbbell presses are better for literally everything else: aesthetics, general strength (what average people actually need), shoulder health etc. Also they are safer, there is no need for a spotter.

>Push
Chest
Bench press
Incline press
Decline press
Flyes (flat)

Triceps
Overhead extensions/dips

Shoulders
Standing press
Lateral raises
Front raise
Reverse flyes

>Pull
Bicep
Curls
Concentration curls
Hammer curls

Forearm
Curl over bench
seated one arm curls

back
pull ups
hyperextensions
one arm db row/standing db row
shrugs

>legs
Romanian dead lift
body weight lunge
DB squat
standing DB calf raise

3x12 for basically everything (I assume you want aesthetics). Trying to get every set to around 45 seconds. You're going to need a shitton of weights though and looking at $1000 to $2000 for enough weights. You need a bench. You need somewhere to do dips and pull ups. Mix up these exercises, do drop sets sometimes as well.

I don't get why everyone says barbells. Can't you replace every barbell movement with dumbells? Unless you are using really heavy weights, does it matter to start with?

BB is for showing off strength. Its the 'quintessential' weightlifter thing.

You can do a fully effective workout with just DBs if you want.

Why not do Scooby's Intermediate workout? The whole thing is built around being at home with dumbbells and a pull up bar

You can't squat, power clean or deadlift with DBs. Doing a standing press with heavy DBs is impractical/dangerous. Benching heavy DBs is possible, but it's harder to get into position, easier to fuck up and get injured. You also need special equipment to microload DBs. So it's not true that you can just replace everything with DBs.

If you know the proper technique to get into position it's no big deal. Also you don't have to press the same weight with DBs as with barbell. I beleive it is also not easier to fuck up. The key to DB presses is technique, control, full ROM, time under tension, not big loads, ego lifting, getting stuck under a bar etc.

>good PPL routine using only dumbbells
>good
hahaha no

but have pic related, served me better than nothing while deployed with no gym or barbells in sight. I also added a fuckton of calisthenics but thats not the point here.

I have the same ones but mine start to bend at 75lbs tops. Have I been jewed?