What am I doing wrong?

I've been working out seriously for the first time in my life since late February and have been consistently going to the gym 5 days a week. My goal is to lose the fat and get toned (not necessarily muscular at this moment, just have some muscle definition). However my biggest obstacle right now is that I've seemed to reached a plateau. I started out at 165 lbs but I've been stuck at 161 for the past two weeks. Furthermore, I haven't been able to tolerate that much added weight on the barbells either.

My program consists of 5x5 stronglifts on monday, wednesday, and friday and the full fitness app weight loss workout program on tuesdays and thursdays. The only supplement I'm taking is creatine after my workouts and also fish oil. In terms of my diet, I've been trying to eat a little healthier but have been pretty much eating the same as before except keeping it below 1,500 calories a day as per the myfitnesspal app. I'm 27 y/o, 161 lbs, and 5' 7.5''. What am doing wrong? Also, what weight should I be aiming for to get a flatter torso?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Take a week off diet and eat lots of brotein.

Then continue diet.

You'll gain a bit but hopefully it'll remind your body that it's not supposed to make do with 1500 calories.

Also, usually as fate would have it, the area you want to improve the most is always the one improving the slowest.

Well it could be a few things.

1) Maybe you are swapping fat for muscle
2) Maybe you aren't doing sub 1500 like you think
3) Plateaus do happen. Just think about it as what you are doing is for your health first, appearance later. That should get you through the plateu
4) More cardio

If you want to get stronger, you need to eat more calories, 1500 isn't enough. Also, you will need about 130-140g of protein per day. If you want to lose fat, keep eating 1500 but do cardio instead of weights.

I love thicc girls.

A little too hairy for my likes but that thiccness more than makes up for it. Post boipussy.

you look fucking disgusting, kill yourself if you can't survive on 1k calories a day and trim your armpits you ugly virgin

youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

You're not eating below 1500 calories. Training is a small factor in weight loss, how about instead of "little healthier" you eat healthy if you want to see results.

OH GOD
UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this. also consider that when starting to lift weights, your body can gain weight for a little while. I forget why, but there you go

Thicc

>toned
not gonna make it

>1600 calories
>not losing fat

What the fuck are you eating? Are you macros 90% carbs?

>I've been trying to eat a little healthier but have been pretty much eating the same as before
Problem 1
>t keeping it below 1,500 calories a day as per the myfitnesspal app
You're miscalculating. You should be feeling quite hungry

>You're miscalculating. You should be feeling quite hungry

not true. For a month all I did was eat 4 servings of protein powder and water with 10,000 iu of vitamin d and 3 multivitamin tablets. I wasn't every hungry, the powder made me nauseous and full. In total it was about 500 calories a day.

you can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time unless your diet is on point.

Losing fat and gaining muscle could lead you to not changing weight at all, a better measurement of your progress would be to measure your BF. To have a flat torso, a BF below 15% would be optimal with a small bulge here or there. Overall, if you're eating on a cut, you should still be getting 1-1.2 grams of protein per bodyweight, so 161g of protein a day regardless of your total calories. If you do this and still can't add weight to your lifts, bump up back to maintenance for a week, still eating that amount of protein, than try again.

Don't listen to him. Lift weights. It burns more calories than cardio for the same length of time. And you will look better when you're low bf%.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A NO MEME POST
>calorie timing:
breakfast 40%
lunch: 30%
dinner: 20%

HIIT every other day

patience: you need to maintain your lifts and cardio at all costs. food is fuel

routine: find a balance
train too much: wrong
train too little: wrong
eat too much: wrong
eat too little: wrong

train and eat in balance: work to find that balance. you can celebrate when you hit your 4th week maintaining the training with your eating
FORGET ABOUT DIET. that comes after getting strong and fast
eat and sleep the necessary to keep your training

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A NO MEME POST

>It burns more calories than cardio for the same length of time.

That is an outright lie, and if you don't think it's a lie, then you're functionally fucking retarded.

programs like stronglifts are good for building strength

but if you want to look better and be slimmer then do more cardio almost every day. or throw in plenty of high-rep accessory exercises like curls, tricep push-downs which give you some mass and burns more calories per workout.

eating 1500 cals worth of bagels wont help bro... intermit fast, dont eat from 8pm to 12 noom next day, drink alot of water, if anything for breakfest have coffee no sugar and a brotien shake, that there is 200-300 cals, then a good lunch, then dinner, portion your food. walk one mile 5 days a week and run on the treadmill on the weekends for an hour or two, you will drop it fast

>My goal is to lose the fat and get toned (not necessarily muscular at this moment, just have some muscle definition)

Muscle tone is just muscle size gain+fat loss. You don't get muscle definition without becoming more muscular. You're worried about looking like an orange, veiny bodybuilder with saran wrap skin? Well luckily for you, that shit doesn't happen by accident. You're not going to explode into muscle by working out in the wrong way.

Your goal is to gain muscle size, you should be doing higher reps with lower weight. Doing sets of 5 is recommended if you want to focus on building strength/power, sets of between 8 and 12 put more focus on the actual size you gain.You'll still get stronger when focusing on size, and you'll still get bigger focusing on strength, but know what your goal is and work out in the most efficient way to achieve that goal.

For calories, google a calorie counter to calculate how many calories you should eat.
For protein, google a protein counter to calculate how much protein you should eat.

Your workouts should be short and sweet. Keep them under half an hour and don't take breaks between your sets for much longer than a minute.

Drink more water throughout the day. And If you're focusing on cutting calories to lose fat, you should just be drinking water instead of juice/soda/alcohol.

Get a good night's sleep. Building muscle is the process of breaking down your muscles, but then healing them back up to be bigger and better than before. Gotta give your body time to heal up.

>Also, what weight should I be aiming for to get a flatter torso?

Get that shit out of your mind. Numbers don't matter. You want to look better, so look in the mirror and judge for yourself. If your reflection is still awful, then you've still got work to do.

Yea it does. 30 mins of jogging when you know how to jog doesn't burn more than 30 minutes of heavy SS with good form. The recovery process with lifting men's you end up burning far more calories than running. This is all within the context of an underdeveloped athlete, of course

you're a goddamn retard

You need to eat less calories, that is it. If you only lost 4 pounds then you haven't been on a deficit as you would expect to lose more than that in water weight alone if you actually cut down on calories significantly.

Nice tiddies

Start doing at least 30 min of cardio after you lift

bruh go on keto. the weight will pour off you

your body is fucking disgusting

Most disgusting body ive seen on Veeky Forums

grats

Why do uneducated subhumans try to get fit?

Honestly you need to throw cardio in there...big time. You're not going to have definition with a shit load of fat covering it.

Get some of the ketosis strip and pee on it

If it turns purple then your body is burning up the fat as caloric deficit, which means that you're doing ok and maybe you plateau because you're building muscle.

If it doesn't turn then you dun goofed, maybe you miscalculate the calories and ate too much

These strips 100% help me through plateaus, as usually I know that I'm still burning fat regardless

t. 14 year old skeletal virgin

You must be under 5' 7 lad

>According to this exercise list from Harvard Medical School, a general 30-minute strength training session burns an average of 90 calories

>The formula for total calories burned per mile of running is 0.75 times your weight in pounds. At this rate a 200-pound person burns about 150 calories per mile.

>400 calories in 30 minutes of jogging
>150 calories max in 30 minutes of strength training

kill yourself you retarded ass faggot. Stop spouting your memes as fact before you get fucking hit.

your TDEE changes when you lose weight. cut carbs and lay off the creatine. Cardio is important too. You want your body to burn off the fat, to do that you need to have your glucose levels depleted so the body starts using your fat as fuel. thats why its there. cardio deplete them fast enough, then your body burns fat.

lifting won't necessarily lose you weight. you might be losing fat and gaining muscle.

>My goal is to lose the fat and get toned (not necessarily muscular at this moment, just have some muscle definition
Time to read the sticky, and really try to internalize it this time

I'm actually 5'8''. Just measured might height again.

my*

You can do KETO if you want to give it a shot. It's a different kind of weight loss (No carbs or sugar so your body always uses fat).
Could work for you.

This is literally nightmare mode
You're going to have to put in the work of both a fatty and a skelly. Thank God I was at least lifting heavy back when I was fat.

you just need a boob job thats all your probably really cute bby :/

poo in loo

IF I were you, I'd be less focused on weights. Run motherfucka RUN!!!!

Better start saving up for dat dere gyno surgery my boy

I'm not the other dude but 200 lbs is fat as fuck, anything they do strenously will burn a bunch of calories. Plus Im guessing that study assumes someone is running the whole time which only fit people do. I think the dude is better off lifting.

I started dieting down from 161 in January on 1900kcal and am now 141. You have been eating much more than you think dummy.

I want to suck your beautiful titties, bro.

>a general 30-minute strength training session burns an average of 90 calories

Absolutely not. I guarantee you their threshold for what counts as strength training is very low. Old man lifting 15lb dumbbells for 30 minutes is not the equivalent of squatting and deadlifting. SS will absolutely burn 200+ calories over the 40+ minutes is takes you.

So you are the fucking guy that posted on /int/ ?

>If you want to get stronger, you need to eat more calories, 1500 isn't enough. Also, you will need about 130-140g of protein per day.
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS IF YOU LOOK LIKE OP!!!!

OP doesn't have much muscle that would spend the calories he gets. Same goes for the protein he gets. There's not much muscle to build with protein. It means all of this extra will become fat on his body.

DO DAILY UPPER BODY EXERCISE,
GET PROTEIN AFTER WORKOUT,
EAT LOW FAT FOOD,
WORK ON YOUR LEGS TOO,
DO CARDIO LIKE RUNNING, BUT WORKOUT YOUR MUSCLES AFTER EACH TIME.

If you disagree, please reply. I have no sources here, but it makes sense. Calories are your fuel. Muscles are your engine. Small engine needs smaller amount of fuel or it will be stored in the tank(stomach). Keep growing your muscle, so you can increase your calories.

STOP LOOKING AT THE WEIGHT SCALE, START LOOKING IN THE MIRROR.

You are replacing fat with muscle. Eat less calories, eat more protons. Do cardio immediatly after weight training.

t.ex-fatty

Eat Less

Nigga looks like the Venus de Milo

Why haven't you posted your boipussy yet you faggot?

I'm gonna tell you this from personal experience.

Increase your calorie intake. I was doing 1800 a day and I'm 180cm and 92kg. Some days I barely ate 1450 (not starving just no appetite)

It's been 4 months and I'm 87 right now. That's only 5kg of fat. On a deficit that's supposed to knock off 1kg a week. My calculated TDEE is 3000.

The only reason I'm motivated as fuck is because I've been putting on nearly 1kg of muscle a month (noob gains I know). I keep my protein intake fairly high 189g a day which also helps curve hunger, like I said before I was barely getting 1450 a day. Also you can cuck your metabolism and it will adjust to your "new lifestyle".

Knock 500-600calories off your TDEE and calculate how much protein you need. (To gain muscle and lose fat).

Don't do the same mistake I did and wait until my body was asking for more food, I was going 1900 and feeling guilty for going 100 over. The more muscle you put on the hungrier you'll get and more often adjust it regularly

You're 2 months in calm the fuck down.

And don't try and keep it below 1,500, eat consistently 3-500 calories below your TDEE, low carbs, high protein.

Calculate youe TDEE with myfitnesspal.

At first he should. If you're changing your diet it's always gonna be uncomfortable, especially if it's a big change.

>1,500 calories a day
>5x5 stronglifts on monday, wednesday, and friday and the full fitness app weight loss workout program on tuesdays and thursdays
>stuck at 161 for the past two weeks
>haven't been able to tolerate that much added weight on the barbells

You're burning the candle at both ends.

Stick with 5x5 3 times per week, and do light cardio on your rest days. Make sure you always rest on Sunday / for at least one day a week.

For now your main focus should be attempting to get stronger so you can move weight that, in the long run, will get you a better looking body, so you have two options.

Option 1: Maintain your weight
Option 2: A light cut, as in, less than a pound a week in weight loss.

Either way, you need to increase your protein intake, and rest more.

>It burns more calories than cardio for the same length of time

Yeah let's see you lift continuously for 120 seconds, for a start.

>It burns more calories than cardio for the same length of time.
False

fucking FREAK