Memes, Myths, Dangers

ITT: memes, myths and dangerous practices in regards to lifting weights. let's start with some old memes/myths that need to die and we'll get into dangerous lifting techniques later.

> genetics don't matter
> getting a good pump and being sore are a sign of good training
> 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight is needed to build muscle
> the type of protein (beans, chicken, milk) you eat matters a lot
> benching with a wide grip = a wider chest
> wide grip pull ups = wider back
> slow controlled negatives build more muscle than fast explosive reps
> you need to "contract" and "feel" a muscle working for it to activate and grow
> there is a special rep range for strength and a special rep range for size
> strength and size are not closely correlated
> doing cardio kills your muscule development
> full body training programs are not the most effective for natural lifters and are only for beginners
> bodypart splits are the best way to get aesthetics
> it's good to feel drained after a workout
> bulking and cutting isn't hard on your health
> being shredded as a natural isn't extremely bad for you
> the bodybuilding lifestyle at the proffessional level is cool and admirable and isn't just about drugs, gay4pay, and more drugs
> lifting will get you laid

If anyone has questions on any of these don't hesitate to ask

Any advantage to wide grip pullups?

I usually do normal grip ones and then some wide grip behind the neck ones because it looks cool and just because I can.

>> slow controlled negatives build more muscle than fast explosive reps

never heard anyone question this before. explain mister.

You forgot the most dangerous one of all:

>OP isn't a faggot.

>it looks cool

dude no one is watching you lmfao

His ass

Dangerous lifting techniques. You might have seen or heard these at your gym. Personally I see them every time a go. If you want to stay safe please never do these. Again, ask a question if you want clarification on anything.

> "pouring-out-the-water-jug" when doing lateral raises
> bench pressing above your nipple line because it "activates the pecs better"
> using too wide of a grip on bench long term
> dumbell shoulder pressing on a 90 degree bench angle
> dumbell shoulder pressing in line with your head and ears
> grinding reps/ attempting PRs too often

"Slow reps build more muscle" is one of the biggest memes in lifting.

We already know that the only thing that matters in regard to muscle gains is your TOTAL TRAINING VOLUME over time aka the amount of work the muscle does.

It doesn't matter what way you aquire that volume. So there is literally no difference between doing fast reps and slow reps as long as the sufficient volume level is met.(aside from the fact that fast reps will make you more explosive and strong).

Your muscles don't magically decide to grow bigger because your doing slow reps and "feeling the muscle work". All that's happening is your fatiguing faster, causing more unnecessary tissue inflammation, and making yourself more sore.

Literally only noobs believe in the slow reps build more meme.

Not really man. Compare the pullup to the chin up. Which one allows you to stretch all the way down in a longer range of motion? The chin up.

Now you've probably heard that chin up is biceps and pullups are back... Not really.
Just because you feel your biceps working harder on chin ups it doesn't mean your lats aren't. It's not one or the other.

It's like close grip bench. It doesn't hit the chest any less than a regular grip bench, it just hits the triceps better.

>He doesn't go slow on the negative movement

Wide grip for me works the forearms way more

Controlling the negatives give you the benefit. Going slower decreases the number of reps you can do so you don't get much more eccentric work, but you get much less concentric. Concentric work should be done with as much speed as possible for maximum effect.

>these are the people who give you lifting advice
I hope you people realise soon that the only purpose this board serves is memes.

> genetics don't matter
they don't unless you compete and are already at elite level. 99.9% people here won't reach their genetic potential so it doesn't matter

>slow controlled negatives build more muscle than fast explosive reps
depends. i don't think enough study has been done into this type of thing. isometric holds do build muscle and hypertrophy

>there is a special rep range for strength and a special rep range for size
define size. there absolutely is if you are aiming for hypertrophy. for muscle gain it's a meme though

>strength and size are not closely correlated
they aren't. strength has a lot of other components other than muscle size. muscles are a small part of it

>doing cardio kills your muscle development
again depends on type of cardio. study showed that long endurance cardio does fuck with hypertrophy and strength gains

>it's good to feel drained after a workout
well you shouldn't feel relaxed. you should feel tired after a workout otherwise what's the point if you don't give it your all every time?

>bulking and cutting isn't hard on your health
meme science. you do realize that people who never track their calories are either cutting or bulking every day, right? nobody eats at maintenance all the time. TDEE varies every day

>being shredded as a natural isn't extremely bad for you
it's VERY hard to get under 8% as a natty let alone maintain it. why do you think so many people who are shredded have to use drugs?

>lifting will get you laid
it won't but it might just give you that final confidence boost that you need to finally talk to girls

>these are the people who give you lifting advice
I hope you people realise soon that the only purpose this board serves is memes

Wanna explain how I'm wrong here?

How slow do you go? 1 second? 4 seconds?
The negative does not matter. Total training volume does. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Just go slow, Idk why you gotta make it complicated.

If you just let the weight drop it will be due to gravity, not your muscles resisting it. That's makes a better use of your time for the movement

Don't drop the weight - go slow. Not so hard!

Who wants to bet that this dyel is also a yank?

>taking yank bait
ISHYGDDT but I will.

Any evidence to back up your outrageous claims?

What's that?

No?

Thought so, little man.

>depends. i don't think enough study has been done into this type of thing. isometric holds do build muscle and hypertrophy

Yes they can build muscle and hypertrophy - as long as your sufficient training volume is met.

You do the same Work (movement) except it's more intense when you go slow on the negative and therefore build more muscle

you are retarded seriously consider suicide

>gets btfo because he cannot provide a single piece of evidence
>b-b-but y-you're r-retarded

Kek

Nice try, little man.

I watch myself nigga

Yeah, talking about actual things like total volume/workload is an "outrageous claim." Now I know you're trolling lmao.

heres one danger you might get laid fasterhaha

It doesn't build more muscle anymore muscle than reps at regular speed as long as your sufficient workload is met

>little man
Post body.
Not even the same user, just fuck off with this bullshit or back it up.

>The negative does not matter
you heard it here first folks

Just came here to say OP's list is good shit. lol @ gymrats claiming 8-12 reps done slowly and "squeezing" is the best for muscle size when they use 15lbs on a db press.

Read the next part
> Total training volume does

3 sets of slow negatives or 5 sets of regular reps. Does. Not. Fucking. Matter. As long as your volume is sufficient, you grow. All negatives do is add to your workload and make you more sore.
You guys read way too many BB.com articles lmao.

Thanks. Glad someone else has a brain. This thread is full of noobs who follow broscience it seems.

>getting a good pump and being sore are a sign of good training
how is this not true

He's too busy doing negatives with 185 on bench
Gotta feel that pec contraction right "bro"?

> "pouring-out-the-water-jug" when doing lateral raises

How? Every thing I've ever read about lateral raises say to do this.

I learned yesterday that high bar squatting is the biggest meme of all. I squatted 405 for 3 yesterday just transitioning to low bar. If you arent doing low bar you should start

well high bar is less stressful on the lower back compared to low bar but unless you do oly lifts or actually feel more comfortable doing it which i doubt, high bar is pointless. muscle load is pretty similar between the two but you can lift like 10-15% more weight with low bar which means better overall gains. if you want to work your quads do front squats or leg press

Doing that shit will seriously fuck your shoulder up as the years go on. Your internally rotating your shoulder joint under a weight.

Always make sure your thumbs are higher than your pinkies when doing a side raise.

Agreed

>> genetics don't matter
Genetics can matter but only if you're one of those lucky son of a bitches whose muscle doesn't degrade.

Wtf are you serious? I can add 10% with low bar?? I've always done high bar squats lol.

>> dumbell shoulder pressing on a 90 degree bench angle

why

> genetics don't matter
False
> getting a good pump and being sore are a sign of good training
False
> 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight is needed to build muscle
Mostly false, but perfectly fine
True
> benching with a wide grip = a wider chest
False
True,works the lats which makes your back wider but any lat exercise also will. But wider grip vs narrower doesn't mean wider back
Kinda true. Time under tension is important and quality reps make a difference.
> you need to "contract" and "feel" a muscle working for it to activate and grow
False, but proper mind muscle connection helps
> there is a special rep range for strength and a special rep range for size
Very true, but there is carryover between the two
> strength and size are not closely correlated
Size means strength potential but not neccissarily strength
> doing cardio kills your muscule development
True, doing cardio in the same session most definitely harms muscle growth
> full body training programs are not the most effective for natural lifters and are only for beginners
Everybody reacts to training differently, genetics plays a role. So this is true
> bodypart splits are the best way to get aesthetics
True
> it's good to feel drained after a workout
True
> bulking and cutting isn't hard on your health
Much better then ring a fat sack of shit
> being shredded as a natural isn't extremely bad for you
True
> the bodybuilding lifestyle at the proffessional level is cool and admirable and isn't just about drugs, gay4pay, and more drugs
False
Ish, lifting makes it more likely for you to get laid

This is a half truth. Soy protein is bad.
This is controversial but some people claim that wide grip pull ups do widen the clavicles and the ribs if you do it at around 17-20 years old. I myself got a wider frame but Im not sure what the cause is. Wide grip pull ups do put too much pressure on the joints though. I dont do it anymore.

Very debatable.

Very debatable.

It's just like a saying " money can bring happiness". Being a big, strong virgin is still 1000 times better than a weak, out-of-shaped virgin.

>doing cardio kills your muscle development
Cardio during bulk is the most insane bullshit in existence. you raise your burned calories and have to eat more on top of probably already having to eat like 3600kcal daily. this just reeks of dyel who goes like "but muh heart health" jesus christ unless you're 90% sedentary/obese this is a zero issue.
>slow controlled negatives build more muscle than fast explosive reps
both work. however slow reps with heavy are still the center point of muscle development for natties
>the type of protein (beans, chicken, milk) you eat matters a lot
yeah let's just eat any kind of bullshit quality protein with incomplete amino profile. fucking christ.
>lifting will get you laid
implying a nice body doesn't add to your attractiveness. indeed getting laid requires more work than just your body, but it's one hell of a plus
>bulking and cutting isn't hard on your health
"muh bulking and cutting is only good for roiders" "muh leanbulk 4 netshurels" "muh bearmode"
>bodypart splits are the best way to get aesthetics
ultimately it matters less what split you use than it matters what frequency/volume/intensity you use
>full body training programs are not the most effective for natural lifters and are only for beginners
after a certain point you won't get the needed stimulation for your muscles to grow. you can't go heavy enough on your whole body in one session
>you need to "contract" and "feel" a muscle working for it to activate and grow
yeah let's just have shit form and don't care about anything. of course you should feel the muscle you're working properly. this gives you the signal that that shit is working and working hard enough aswell.

>This is a half truth. Soy protein is bad.

soy is actually the best one after dairy based protenos

The "total volume = gains thing" is misguided BS. For example: if I was to do a set of 10 pink dumbbell curls 4 times an hour every day I would have an enormous total volume but absolutely 0 gains.
Its a balance of intensity, volume and frequency that matters.

enjoying that exogenous estrogen you faggot?

LITERAL WARNING FOR ALL MALES:
Stay the holy fuck away from any and all products that mainly/purely consist of unfermented soy. That shit is cancerous to your hormone balance. literally estrogen in edible form. Also overpriced as fuck
>200g soy patties => 5$
>1kg of chicken breast => 4,50$

fuck that shit

It works out lats better

>1kg of chicken breast = 4.50$

Jesus christ, that must be some disgusting, factory farmed, antibiotics-filled, never-seen-sunlight "chicken" youre buying there.

Whst?