Rip

Why does Rippletoes get such a bad rep?
> tfw made bigger strength, size and aesthetics gains than "hurrhurr trex mode lol gomad" friends.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1xdf9WA359U?t=533
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_ZE2GJXJg
youtube.com/watch?v=98ETSo14cBA
cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/bench-press-low-grip.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=WnJd42b3EfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that isn't rippletits

yeah it's some other dude, Veeky Forums just tends to use ripple's current 61 yo physique as an argument against his program.

>tfw a 60 yo guy can deadlift more than 99% of fit

you know how someone says this and that about professional athletes while they are sipping their beers watching? Its the same thing

>Low chest
>Looking down
>narrows legs
>narrow feet
>Rounded back

How hasn't he snapped in half. Is good form a meme?

His back isn't poster-boy levels of straight in that, true, you are right. But clearly his spine is still neutral enough and he's got enough core tension to be deadlifting that much in his 60s.
Not sure how the rest of your points are bad DL technique tho m9

Because summerfags didn't understand that SS being a meme was a meme and started spouting this bullshit seriously as everyone becomes a fitness expert after spending a week in here

>What is kyphosis

Fucking mongs

R A R E rippetoe

Bet you're that guy who lifts 2pl8 but acts smug when guys have form breakdown while lifting 4pl8+. New lifters always overestimate the importance of perfect form

Have fun in Snap-city

The man in the picture is Doug Young.

>getting injured because of form lightly diverging from textbook perfect
Enjoy your shit genetics

>thinks looking down is bad form

You look forward at yourself in the mirror don't you? I laugh when I see dyels doing that with hyperextending necks thinking its helping them keep their back straight.

>The guy who you're worshipping has litterally injured every joint in his body from powerlifting.

Your rebuttal

Looking forward makes your chest stick up= more straight back

Narrow foot stance is safer than having them wider you retard.

which competitive lifter hasn't by 60 tho?

lol
I can tell you don't lift much.
You keep your back straight by bracing your core, not by thinking some cue will do it for you.

Not to mention that a neutral spine is actually more sturdy than one that is extended in one or more areas.

rounded upper back is safe, and narrow stance is safer than wide
kys

>rounded upper back is safe
?
?
?

Yeah but he's supposedly some kind of brilliant lifter and says that it's perfectly safe.
But the truth is that is bullshit.

wow.
How dyel are you? Sorry if it was a genuine question and you're actually new to lifting.
Rounded upper back does not put you at risk of injury. There isn't nearly enough leverage placed on the upper spine during a deadlift to cause any injury.

DO NOT pick your head up, keep it neutral, in line with your back for the whole lift, or you will snap your neck up right quick and won't be deadlifting for a couple sessions

How do you even round up your upper back without rounding up your lower back ? Is it basically rotating your shoulders?

>guys who spend most of their lives lifting very heavy numbers for sport somehow get injured
Obviously a form issue and not simply wear and tear on the body. Do you look down on a tennis player hurting his elbow too? A football player hurting his knee? Lmao idiots should've watched their form

The other guy is right. Your upper back is probably going to start rounding a little bit when you get heavier, it's just how things go. Besides if you're going to round any part of your back the upper parts would be safest one by far.

I don't think he's ever claimed to be a brilliant lifter. He's said he has normal genetics, put up some respectable numbers but nothing amazing in his prime.

Also lifting, of any kind (bodybuilding, powerlifting, weightlifting) with good form is far safer than any field sport.

It generally happens naturally when lifting heavy as fuck weights with conventional deadlift.
But yes it looks like hunching shoulders forward basically - the scapulae protract.
This actually lessens the ROM of a deadlift by about an inch or so, making it a more favourable form too.

That said, don't actively try and lift this way, its more something that will happen naturally as you get stronger, and by the time you're at that level, you will know what your body is capable of comfortably handling.

sorry, in response to

you are a gentleman a...oh you get it.

>is far safer than any field sport.

It was proven that the statistic was bullshit.
Had something to do with using school age kids who did soccer and the lifting was newb level bodybuilding stuff with relatively high reps and relatively light weight.

I haven't looked into it nor know which stat you are talking about obviously, but okay I'll adopt this mindset. Are you implying you shouldn't squat, bench, deadlift, or do any compound movement in your lifting career?
>stays dyel forever
>"I don't squat because my lower back hurts" form excuse

Deadlift is probably the most important lift to have good form.

This isnt a picture of Rippetoe

I'm not trying to say you are wrong, because I don't have the info. But I feel like you tend to hear about pec tears so much more than anything related to deadlifts for example. But maybe I'm just not noticing it (srs no sarcasm).

>tfw a 60 yo guy weighs more than 99% of fit

>literally says "you'll get stronk but you'll get fat"
>people complain about getting fat, therefore rip/ss is a scam
it's just retards being retards

You don't have to ever do those lifts. Not ever.

It's only a choice.

Your lifting career? Most people who go to a gym don't want that. What they do want is to exercise in a way that will make them feel, look, and function better with little or no chance of injury.
Ego lifting with the heaviest weight they possibly can because someone online said that's the only way to do anything is going to make them hate lifting in general.
And once that new pr smell wears off and they don't look like how they want or worse injures themself then...they're done.

By the way. Many people, because of the way their bodies are built can't do certain lifts. Especially tall men.

>most important lift to have good form
That would be anything including shoulders because those are some joints you really don't want to fuck up

Of course good form is important, but the point is that beginners often see perfectly acceptable lifts and start shitting their pants thinking the lifter is going to die because everything wasn't pin point perfect to the latest YouTube instruction video they watched. A rule of thumb for deadlifts is a tight core and neutral spine. Keep those checked and you will be lifting safely

Fair, not everybody wants to be a competitive lifter in all senses of the word. I can respect that. But I challenge you to show me one person who has been able to get an aesthetic muscular physique physique without progressively overloading on compound lifts, where you can handle the most weight. There is only so much you can accomplish doing a few bicep curls, even in the casual lifter.

People's bodily "structure" is overrated. Nearly everybody can perform these movements unless they have a severe muscular strength or flexibility imbalance. In this case, you can do things which will correct this. Truly irrecoverable conditions like scoliosis or not common enough. Obviously we want to perform any compound movement, including a bench press (which structural special snowflakes claim is the only lift they can perform while completely neglecting proper shoulder girdle positioning, something which will lead to injury just like lower back rounding), with the best form possible. Ideally you want to avoid all form breakdown. Eventually you will stumble across a weight which is quite heavy, and so you will experience minor form issues (something a poster above alluded to). This kind of minor form issue that occurs very slightly during something like a max attempt, will not cause injury, and should not be repeated. Smart lifting, aka not lifting maximally all the damn time, prevents this easily.

Of course, you can always take a hypertrophy targeted roid stack and get huge doing curls and calf raises

I didn't say NO COMPOUNDS AT ALL I said the big three are entirely unnecessary and are close to impossible for certain people.
There's no amount of flexibility that will get a natural 6'+ guy who has long femurs into an A2G squat.
That's just how it is.

Strength training should not be pushed as the end all be all.
But it should be shown and pushed as a great enhancer for peoples lives and if they can't do the lift then they should not be conjoled into doing it.

>This actually lessens the ROM of a deadlift by about an inch or so, making it a more favourable form too.
Not in competition. You have to lock out with your shoulders back in most competitions or it's a no lift, rounding your upper back makes that final lockout almost impossible.

Friendly reminder deadlifts are pointless if you're not a powerlifter/strongman and you can still snap your shit when you have good form.

How do you account for literally everybody taller than 6ft who does these movements then? Brian Shaw, the World's Strongest Man on multiple occasions, is 6'8. He is just one in plenty of the winners of that title being over 6'5, let alone just being over 6ft...

If a 6'5+ lanky ass dudes are able to do these lifts and get insanely strong doing them, I'm not sure where 6ft full rep squats becomes an issue? Furthermore if I want to be a smartass, Rippetoe doesn't think A2G is optimal nor useful for strength training, SS teaches squatting to parallel.

I agree with you saying that strength training isn't an end all to fitness, but it's not conducive to spread the idea that compound lifts are not accessible to people. Very, very, very, very few people truly are so structurally fucked that they would never be able to do these moves with good form.

Plenty of top level deadlifters use a rounded upper back in competition.

Arguable that they are "pointless". They are as "compound" as it gets. It's pretty damn efficient to hit up some deadlifts to get protein synthesis happening around like 80% of the body, even as a bodybuilder. Taking a 8-12 rep range with flawless form on deadlifts might be efficient as shit for BB (MIGHT be, I'm no scientist). But for isolating shit and if you are able to go heavy enough in something like a row, then yeah it'll target that specific body part a lot better.

I'm 6'4" with 24 inch femurs, I had no issue hitting depth on squats at all, always did highbar calves to hamstrings depth

that being said, squats didn't do much for my quads and I had much better results adding in direct quad work

deadlifts are a great mass builder, people just usually don't perform them in volumes high enough to see this

doing one working set of deadlifts a week is obviously not going to build as much mass as 9 sets of squats a week (going by the SS model), but if you do your deadlifts with Sheiko levels of volume you will blow up your traps, mid back, hamstrings, erectors, and glutes

I think he's talking more about proportions rather than height. Long limbs are much more common on tall people though of course. Look at Simeon Panda when he squats. He's at a massive disadvantage, and he's better off doing heavy split squats, à la Eric Bugenhagen.

Deadlifts with long arms and legs? good luck trying to pull more than 500 when your back is parallel to the floor. it's just inefficient and you're not getting the best hypertrophy as you could.

can i have link to video, don't believe panda atg squated that much

considering his spotter is cupping his pecs and helping him stay upright, he didn't squat much of anything there

nvm, lol at the pretending not to spot but spot at the bottom of the lift

I think that was the lift he failed but here ya go
youtu.be/1xdf9WA359U?t=533
He definitely has it in him, this is an old ass vid.

no, he def. doesn't have it in him, hes being spotted heavily

For sure, there is 100% going to be variation in technique based on structure. To keep it on thread topic, SS recognizes that too for both squats and deadlifts, showing how back angle will change depending on limb lengths. According their model at least though, there is ALWAYS a way to keep the bar over the middle of the food on both movements (controlled by back angle) thus performing it the most efficiently and safely.

I defo don't know enough to argue the extent limbs limit someones maximal strength potential (from what I understand being taller will actually help your deadlifts), but then the conversation goes into what is someone's final strength goal. If I'm using your example and assuming that with shite genetics I can only reach 500 for a DL, that's certainly not a terrible number for a casual lifter who wants to be strong, functional or aesthetic. You could still get great muscular development with that kind of DL I reckon, and it'll be supplemented with high squats, rows, bench, chins, etc. as well.

there are some limb proportions where it will literally not be possible for you to hit depth on a squat, usually very long femur and very short tibia

but this kind of build is pretty rare

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk

Fair, but yeah again, how many people are truly this genetically fucked.

If you want traps, lats, and upper back you can just do rack pulls. if you want hamstrings you can do sprints. Too many newbies are getting injured on SS.

A lot more than you think. Anyone with short arms is bad for deadlifting and at high risk for back injury

yeah i don't think most people with short arms should deadlift, and i don't think most people with long femurs should squat

both of them really kill the effectiveness of the exercise and make the injury risk dramatically higher

Newbies get injured on SS because newbies don't bother learning how to actually perform these lifts. Starting Strength, the book, is 80% about technique. The whole damn thing, is how to perform the compound lifts, why they are performed a certain way, etc. Yes, an impatient newbie will skip this, try do this program with shite form and fuck shit up. Perhaps that is a weakness of the program, that it actually requires reading. Eventually, anybody looking to take their strength to the next level will need to do some kind of reading on technique and programming, whether it be from Rippetoe or not.

And I really don't know man, obviously no convincing is gonna be done on a Veeky Forums thread, but I can personally say that as a torso dominant, 5'10, stubby as fuck armed dude I have never had any issue with deadlifts myself. And I don't consider myself a genetic anomaly in the slightest. The reason I'm supporting Rip (not just SS, but his model's in intermediate and advanced programming too) is because I have made the fastest and most drastic strength and physique changes when I first, started out and found SS, and then when I got on a Texas Method style routine later on after trying out other bodybuilding or "powerbuilding" style routines. That's all.

The funniest thing is that guy in pic did bro split.

are you stupid? its ed coan

>bodybuilding, powerlifting
>sport
top kek

I'm just saying I don't think deadlift is a necessary lift. SS will get you gains absolutely, there's no denying that, but everyone should know that depending on your goals and your body structure you can get even better gains by replacing the main lifts.
youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_ZE2GJXJg here's a vid of some examples that are far safer and could be stronger for you.

Many people have injured themselves doing deadlifts correctly as well. youtube.com/watch?v=98ETSo14cBA this guy for example and a few guys I know irl.

Have shoulder issues when you bench press? Do weighted dips, or do overhead press instead. long legs make loading the squat and reaching depth harder than it should be? Do single legged lifts. Don't like the risk/reward of the deadlift? Do rack/block pulls.

>who has been able to get an aesthetic muscular physique physique without progressively overloading on compound lifts
Gymnasts, wrestlers
inb4 NO THEY LIFT TOO!!!!

Also while Newbies are struggling to master the lifts. Chads are using roids and bro splits and are sprinting light years ahead of them. Literally guys who eat pizza and don't know what squatting is are posting on instagram and getting modeling gigs after doing a few curls here and there.

This infuriates the newbiw who starts rushing through the program, hurts himself, get's way too fat and then eventually moves on to other exercises.

Squatting and dead-lifting is way too complex to do halfheartedly or off of youtube videos. It took me weeks to realize that my wrist, injured years ago, was caving in during the back squat, causing the barbell to shift back and forth during my lifts. Absolutely excruciating pain that was fucking up my lower back. I managed to make it from 275 when the pain started to 310 before it got so painful I couldn't walk. (I also found it in a blood test that I have a vitamind d deficiency.) I stopped doing squats, regressed to junk food and video games and only recently started doing lifting again.

I tried 175 just to warm up and was folding like a pancake. Fuck squats to death. my routine is basically cardio and bodyweight now, deadlifts was never a problem for me so I still do those. Did 355 the other day.

Post a youtube vid or a webm here.
I'm curious.

>perform them in volumes high enough to see this
You do not do something like deadlift with high volume. It is litterally one of those lifts that you can seriously fuck up and have life long fucking injuries.

They goddamned well shouldn't do highrep deadlifts

user, do you have recommendations for wrist flexibility issues? I shattered one of my wrist bones years ago and it's hard for me to flex it back and forth but I can do well in lifts where I keep it one position.

For instance dips,deadlift and parallel grip pull ups are easy for me because I can lock my wrists in one place but OHP, bench press and Squats are hard because my wrist starts giving out and I have to spend more time balancing the weight then actually lifting.

I've been doing some rehab exercises to make my wrist stronger but in the meantime, can you suggest some good alternatives for the bench press and squats that don't require wrist work? I'm going to try the land mine press in the video. I've been doing arnold press to compliment dips and have been thinking of adding weighted pushups too.

>tfw literally me
>tfw femurs so long i can't physically grab the bar to deadlift without lower back rounding
>arms too short
>even highbar is a parallel bent-knee good morning
at least my bench and OHP are great.
SS type programs are shit if your goal isn't to become a powerlifter right away. For general athleticism, strength and size gainz you'd be better off doing W4SB or another method with a fuckton volume and more exercises. What puzzles me is that both Joe DeFranco and Chad W Smith have more or less said at one point or another that rip style 3x5 programming wasn't optimal for beginners, yet people still follow this shit.
I mean who would you rather listen to, someone who has trained literally dozens of world class athletes and spends their whole time experimenting with rep ranges, new lifts etc. or a fat bloated toad-looking, alcoholic, "manly man" geologist entranched in his bullshit stance about muh manly squats being literally the cure for everything?
t. wasted 3 months on GSLP (3x5 routine basically, not even as bad as SS from what I hear) before moving on to a more productive, high volume routine like every single beginner should do (beginner= less that 2 years lifting)

My femurs are as long as my torso, I think each a cm or 2 bigger. I can squat A2G, but recently stopped and switched them for A2G front squats. THe back squats put so much pressure on me once I got to 5x5 with 250 +.
Dead lifting, my back is almost parallel with the floor so I almost always have some lower back rounding, but been doing hyper extensions to strenghten the part so no pain when deadlifting 4pl8s

It's bill Cosby
>newfags

well I owe him my current gains and my 3pl8 squat after 6 months

but I also owe him what is probably the highest fat percentage I've ever been at

it's a give and take that I'm utterly satisfied with

volume has nothing to do with rep range, you imbecile

more importantly, how do you make sure you have the correct body type in order to avoid squats/diddlies?

you do them
you absolutely do deadlift with high volume if you would like gains on it

also volume =/= rep range, best way to think of volume is number of hard sets

>trying to rationalize to yourself that you dont need to do squats and deadlifts
>missing out on the two most fundamental lifts because you're a pussy

That's actually a big debate in fitness isn't it, is high or low volume a better approach for beginners. I personally got fried on high volume programs (and still do today), and really respond better to low-moderate volume, using a lot of 5s.

SS (and Rip's writing in general) is not targeted at powerlifters. They are general strength programs. A purely powerlifting program will not have power cleans or overhead presses in it, and would focus much more of it's volume on the bench and deadlift relatively to what SS actually has. Rip definitely isn't a looker, and I personally am open to different training philosophies, don't agree with his politics etc. But I find it a science based approach which really I don't see as extremist as people think it is, if people just read the book I think they would understand. Progressive overload isn't a meme is it? I also think his views on rehab are legit, again because they have worked for me and people close to me.

But I also recognize that different things work for different people, and the fact that you found what works for you is sick, assuming you tried the program correctly and it didn't work for you. The best program is the one we can stick to, at the end of the day.

I'm no physical therapist, but it's interesting that you can do pushups and dips but not ohp or bench press. Pushups would definitely required more wrist flexion than a bench or ohp.

When getting your grip for the presses, try and hold the bar in a way that puts it OVER your forearms. Not too far in your hand which causes the bar to extend your palm backwards, and thus flex your wrist backwards. Think about the way you dip and try have the bar in the same position during your presses.

cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/bench-press-low-grip.jpg

Like that. Changing to this grip for OHP and Bench made sure that the bar was nicely balanced over the rest of my arm rather than flexing my hand a weird way.

As for squats, a low bar approach typically prevents too much wrist flexion. Look into technique on that.

>general strength programs
There is no such thing, it's a meme

>fundamental lifts

>I'll mock him even though I know he's right

>gymnasts
>never touch a barbell in any "fundamental" lifts
>still more athletic an stronger then any ripfag

The spine extends up into the neck, why the fuck would you overextend it when you try your hardest to keep the rest of it in neutral position? Look down when deadlifting, period

Try to invest in some wrist wraps as well and see if that helps. Also have you tried reverse grip bench? There's a guy named John Phung that has written many articles about it and how it's better than bench pressing. I definitely recommend checking him out, he's strong as shit too and is one of the only people on the planet that can OHP 1.5x their body weight.

Do gymnastics them you fucking tool. We both know that youre just benching/curling

1.5 times bodyweight OHP? That's not that much, I hardly doubt he is the only one to be able to do that.
Any source on that?

lol pussy, how can you hurt yourself squatting 275

i started SS in august and my first day was 80kg squat 5x5, today I did 172.5kg 5x5 during texas method and hit 215kg for a single last week

try putting some effort into learning the correct form instead of bitching out with featherweights

He just said he had a bad wrist you faggot.

ONE of the best pressers, not the best presser. Since it's not really an "official" movement there's no record books for it, but i legit can't find a video of anyone that weighs around his weight that can press over 300 lbs. Most people that press as much as him weigh as much as it and take tons of steroids. I'm talking strict press too from the collarbone.

youtube.com/watch?v=WnJd42b3EfI

Slight rounding is perfectly fine in fact many powerlifters do not maintain a perfectly flat spine. They tighten their lumbar spine and use slight forward curvature in their thoracic spine.

No newbie should ever do this because they lack the insane amount of back development in the rhomboids, lats, etc. that support their spine and keep it protected.

klokov is a beast but he weighs 30-40 lbs more. Also i belieb asian man is natty, klokov is not.

Rippletits on perfect form:
>perfect is the enemy of good
Stay weak faggot

>gives up when he can't perform a movement correctly because of muh genetics (literal fat woman logic) instead of stretching and adjusting his technique until being able to perform acceptable squat and deadlift
>eligible to give programming advice
Pick one. You won't be attempting any world records but stop acting like it's fucking impossible

>SS type programs are shit if your goal isn't to become a powerlifter right away
How is making the most out of your linear strength progress while learning good form on the big lifts shit? It's a fast way to get to respectable numbers and build some strength provided it's done correctly. People act like choosing to do SS dooms you into doing powerlifting for the rest of your life. And then there's the paradox of it making you T-Rex mode while at the same time being shit for building mass

>not squatting, deadlifting, and clean & pressing every work out
>not building a serrated capable of balancing a small Cessna to an error of +/- 0.05 from 90 over your head
>not being able to just find the wave of your linear gains and ride it out with any routine you pick
>not beating the diminishing returns curve as a natty
>not being able to match your bulk with your volume
>implying rippedtoes doesn't give instant gratification which is 90%of lifting fitizens that have been at it less than a year
>implying zyzz would mire your progress as you debate a program for new lifters, that will probably wash out in the next four months
Sometimes I feel like no one here even tries anymore

you're right about squats but long limbs + tall = bigg deadlifts