New evidence of Islam in Viking age Sweden discovered

The discovery of Arabic characters that spell “Allah” and “Ali” on Viking funeral costumes in boat graves in Sweden has raised questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia.

The grave where the costumes were found belonged to a woman dressed in silk burial clothes and was excavated from a field in Gamla Uppsala, north of Stockholm.

Annika Larsson, a textile archaeologist at Uppsala University, discovered the Arabic characters in February, as she was preparing some of the items for an exhibition on Viking couture in Enkoping, Sweden. Upon closer examination of the band from all angles, she said, she realized she was looking at Kufic script. The words Allah and Ali appeared in the silk.

“My opinion is that those who wore the fabrics must have understood the symbolism,” said Dr. Larsson. “Some Viking women most likely converted to Islam.“

Christian Skoldborg, a spokesman for Fenris, a Viking re-enactment group that travels to markets all over Europe to sell crafts and show how Vikings lived, said the thought of a deeper cultural exchange between the Vikings and the Arab world was not such a shock. “This notion that Vikings were a pure race — that picture is something we need to wash away,” he said. “There are so many artifacts that show Arabic writing in the bands. It is very likely that they came here and lived,” said Mr. Skoldborg.

Solveig von Malmborg, who belongs to the network Vikings Against Racism, which tries to combat the extreme right’s appropriation of Viking heritage, said Viking enthusiasts were often mistaken for racists and Nazis. We think they should find their own symbols.”

nytimes.com/2017/10/14/world/europe/vikings-allah-sweden.html

Other urls found in this thread:

thelocal.se/20171006/we-cant-let-racists-re-define-viking-culture-far-right-runes-swedish
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/allah-viking-burial-fabrics-false-kufic-inscription-clothes-name-woven-myth-islam-uppsala-sweden-a8003881.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Kufic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The discovery of Arabic characters that spell “Allah” and “Ali” on Viking funeral costumes in boat graves in Sweden
But that's completely wrong.

Yeah, what an absolute shocker that people who are known for far trade has foreign trinkets.
This must obviously mean that the vikangs wuz muslim

>square Kufic hundreds of years before its usage
> للله ‘lllah’,
Gotta loathe the fucking Swedes.

Old news that has since been debunked.

We've discussed this before, and it's been debunked

>my feelings debunk the scientific research

>Felaktigt utnyttjande av runskrift
>Wrongful usage of the runic alphabet
Wtf do they even mean by this? How can you wrongfully use the alphabet?

>A small minorty of retards represents the entire population.
Why don't we both neck ourselves?

All Swedes are bad.

>A small minorty of retards

When a Swedish neo-Nazi group staged a demonstration in the country's second largest city last weekend, they were by far outnumbered by counter-demonstrators. Group which protested the march was Vikingar Mot Rasism (Vikings Against Racism), a network set up by Viking fans to challenge the use of Viking symbols by white nationalists.

"Viking enthusiasts get mistaken for racists and Nazis all the time, and we're very uncomfortable with that. White nationalists don't get to reinvent what Viking culture is," says Solvej von Malmborg, an admin for the network's Facebook group.

Vikingar Mot Rasism (VMR) now numbers over 10,000 members; predominantly LARPers, historical reenactors, heathens, and others interested in the Viking Age, while there are other similar groups for archaeologists and historians.

"The National Romantics were looking for something exclusively Nordic, and they settled on the Viking age as a symbol for nationalism. But that's not an accurate representation. We know that the Vikings had lots of intercultural relations, and positive ones too, which you don't often hear about. They were traders and mixed with cultures all over the reachable world. Viking women often had foreign husbands and we do know that women were empowered, and that there were female warriors, for example," she says, pointing out that one Viking burial grave long believed to belong to a male warrior was recently discovered to belong to a woman.

thelocal.se/20171006/we-cant-let-racists-re-define-viking-culture-far-right-runes-swedish

But it's not a scientific discovery.
It's some crazy rando that basically lied about a 'discovery' she only found by manipulating a sample through mirroring etc in a computer.
You're basically saying that flat earthers can be proven right by photoshopping an image of the globe.

>Vikingar Mot Rasism (VMR) now numbers over 10,000 members; predominantly LARPers, historical reenactors, heathens, and others interested in the Viking Age, while there are other similar groups for archaeologists and historians.
>10 000 members
Thanks for proving my point.

Well you gotta remember that there is a lot of space between neo-nazi and complete everything goes immigrant and muslim acceptance. I am not in favor of modern European immigration policy but I still wouldn't support neo-nazis.

this isn't that surprising, we know that the Vikings imported some stuff (notably iron) from the middle east which would end up with middle eastern cultural symbols and the like

>Implying the Jew York Times hasn't talked about Kangs and Black Celts.

DEBUNKED

>swedes
>Vikings

I don't argue that they didn't find some ring with Arabic writing on it, but they're making the worst possible conclusions from it.

Most pagan organisations in Sweden are infiltrated by new-age communists, there are only a select few that are genuine. It's no secret that the Norse people of the Swedish peninsula went viking all throughout the east all down to Baghdad and Persia and conducted trade, but that means fuck all. How would an illiterate Norseman know if the exotic golden ring he's bought for his daddy's grave know it stands for the Islamic God Allah?

This is a way worse thing actually.
The girl behind the claim manipulated the material in a computer program to make the pattern say what she wanted. When caught she, IIRC, claimed that she brought forth the artistic truth or some such nonsense.

>Norsemen were illiterate

>he believes modern-day States existed in the 8th century
There were only Norsemen and Germanians. Hell, you could argue that the fucking Saxons went viking when they settled England.

A vast majority of them were, because literacy was fucking useless

WE

Do you have a source about that ? That's quite frightening.

Wasn't this debunked a long time ago?

Didn't a bunch of muslims say that this was propaganda and that the leftists should stop pushing it

It's just another fabricated anti-white bullshit claim.

>Sweden

But of course.

No, the actual research debunks the feelings-based claims made by a researcher who wasn't even qualified to make them in the first place.

Larssen's background is in studying the production of textiles, and she doesn't have an background in history or interpreting designs, especially not Kufic script. She fully admitted that she thought it was Arabic because it vaguely looked that way to her in a mirror (even in her own press releases), and the only way words could be found in the designs was by manipulating them and filling in blanks on a computer. Other researchers have come forward and called her bullshit in various ways. She was wrong, and that was put to bed a long time ago; the only reason this shit still gets posted here is baiting.

>Some Viking women most likely converted to Islam.
Wink wink nudge nudge

>literacy was fucking useless
This is how we know that you're a brainlet.

but they were kangs of the meds how can you say that

Unfortunately my source was in swedish and since it has been some time since I read it I can't find it but if you google something like viking allah textile debunked you'll probably find a couple sources.

They once told me in school that some Viking era fort in Pomerania got excavated, they found more English coins there (of that particular mintage or something) than have ever been found in England. The archaeologists came to the conclusion it was where the geld ended up going.
It's known that the Vikings roamed as far as modern day Tabaristan and there's contemporary reports of them pillaging as far afield as Galicia and the Mediterranean, if those fuckers can make it to Canada and back it's not too far a stretch that some Longboater liked the look of those silks and brought back a souvenir or myabe he swapped some mead with his mate Valadislaus who got it from Ibrahim from Itil, they maintained trade links to central Asia FFS.
But wait nevermind that, we wuz always multiculti weren't we?

>because literacy was fucking useless

Swedes larp as danish and Norwegian vikings.
Swedish vikangz didn't do shit but start the Ruik dynasty in Russia

>This notion that Vikings were a pure race — that picture is something we need to wash away,” he
NO NON NO NO NOOOOOOOOO

Lol what a crazy bitch

>“This notion that Vikings were a pure race — that picture is something we need to wash away,” he said. “There are so many artifacts that show Arabic writing in the bands. It is very likely that they came here and lived,” said Mr. Skoldborg.
Who the fuck would want to be a viking? The modern day equivalent would be like wanting to be a hoodrat.

>a network set up by Viking fans to challenge the use of Viking symbols by white nationalists
Fuck yes. The memory of Tolkien will be avenged.

>carving short phrases into rocks
>literature

they did not even have parchment technology

Thank you user

>the concept of ethnic self-determination is invalid if you engage in foreign relations

Too bad Tolkien was a supporter of the Falange and the National Front, you mong. Why do you think a radical Catholic monarchist would in any way support contemporary leftism?

>supporter of the Falange and the National Front
which, while being in general against foreign mixing also purposely avoided autistic race mongering and we wuzisms
>Why do you think a radical Catholic monarchist would in any way support contemporary leftism?
I don't think he would, but he would also oppose the fuck out of nazi tier germanic wewuzism, like the good catholic he was
Remember he regretted not giving redemption to the orcs

Nice moving of the goalpost.

>I don't think...
No one cares what you think.

Yet you are outright wrong, as he called himself unironically a "monarchist anarchist" and know shit about his thinking
while he showed support for franco, he kind of retracted after the civil war and he outright chimped out against nazi use of germanic religions you stupid fuck

>“My opinion is that those who wore the fabrics must have understood the symbolism,” said Dr. Larsson. “Some Viking women most likely converted to Islam.“
LOL no. The ring was probably acquired by a viking after splitting some poor cloth-noggin's head open with an axe somewhere near Constantinople.

This was proven to be a heap of shit.
The Arab style of writing she was claiming it to be written in didn't even exist yet.

fake news.

>vikings traded with Moors
>got a sweet ring for the wife/daughter
>1000 years later
>lol they got blacked
How much longer?

This.

Get off the fence, fegget.

Nice art, do you know who made it?

not that guy but i think its Zdzisław Beksiński
might be wrong and confusing it with another similar artist but w/e find out for yourself

Why does he have blue eyes?

Based Shia Vikings

>Never heard of trade
>implying it isn't fake as the last shit

Get out

>Be Bjorg Bjorgsson, living in 10th century Scandinavia
>Your chief organises a distant expedition to mediterraean sea
>why not, the further the distance, the more riches there are to plunder
>arrive in Iberia, the land of funny dark people worshipping a faceless sand god
>slaughter their soldiers before plundering the village
>discover on their bodies jewellery and ornaments with funny scriptures
>laugh how feminine these guys looked wearing that stuff,
>take some of it home for your wife and daughters. Your buddies do that too.
>after coming back, your female family members proudly wear what you brought to show gratitude and love to you, and to impress their friends
>10 centuries later
>your distant descendant assumes your family worshipped the funny faceless desert god
>yfw

Because he's scandinavian.

Kek here take thiss

A while ago I read about something similar regarding early British coins that had legitimate Arabic inscriptions. It turns out they were basically just ripping off coins from the Mediterranean that they thought had neat designs.

>Vikings are a race

This is already debunked.
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/allah-viking-burial-fabrics-false-kufic-inscription-clothes-name-woven-myth-islam-uppsala-sweden-a8003881.html

>Moors are black
ISHYGDDT

Tolkien's entire motivation for middle-earth was we wuz

The non-est of the non-arguments

If there's a race of men I've ever been disgusted by, it'd be the Anglos, very very closely followed by the Swedes, followed by 'white' Americans.

>Some Viking women most likely converted to Islam

Fake news not even in the article.

I'd argue its the opposite my man
he was angry there was nothing "ancient" (like hellenic or biblical, guess keltoids and saxons and shit didn't cut it to him) that an englishman could we wuz about, so he invented it

Odin was a cum-guzzling faggot, and Umar fingered his ass with jizz.
God bless.
God bless.

>Swedish merchant bought clothing from the Middle East

Yeah, I guess there is no other choice, Sweden will have to open its borders and accept unlimited immigration from the Middle East and Africa. How can they justify keeping their borders closed when they bought products from Arab merchants in the Middle Ages?

Americans ARE white dumb fuck. Aslo, whats with the pic? Japs were degenerate sub-humans, and that pic just proves that.

But the entire point of we wuz is imaginary ancestry.

>>slaughter their soldiers
>vikings
>capable of dealing with actual soldiers

Wasn't there some German shop event, where they emptied shelves of foreign products and
>See? Migration is good!

This is the actual image she presented. She didn't doctor anything, she just said "hey, this generic geometric pattern kinda vaguely looks like kurfic writing, and if you add this random bullshit to the sides then it says 'For Allah' therefore it totally 100% means Vikings had Islamic text embroidered on their shit."

She also made some pants on head stupid claims about how Viking women dressed.

Annika Larsson, the researcher in question, isn't even an archaeologist or historian. She's something like a "textile researcher" or something.

Before this whole "Allah" thing started she tried claiming that this is how Vikings actually dressed, based on.... nothing. She more or less made it up based on her own interpretation of how things were found in graves. Y'know... completely disregarding that things tend to move after the body beneath them rots away...

really makes you think it's too late for them
their history is going to be erased

Take the (You) and go home.

You will get no reply of course, they'll just move on and repost the same tired lies again and again. It's all about muddying the waters.

>as a good catholic
>says the guy that hasn't been to mass in over 10 years
>hasn't confessed in over 15 years
>and thinks that the current pope is in keeping with the dogma

The Church has no problems with pride in ones race or place as long as it subservient to ones Catholic identity.

>fake olds thread

>My opinion is that those who wore the fabrics must have understood the symbolism
AAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAHAHHAAAAAHHAAAAHAHAAAAAHHHAHAHAAAAHAAA

>when you take a widely used tablet weave pattern found all over pagan scandinavia, flip it upside down and side to side with a mirror and add some extra letters it misspells "allah" in cuneiform
>therefore vikings were muslim and we should let in more fucking apes to replace the native population

It's even next to a huge swastika on the pattern, but they casually leave that out.

FUCK THESE PEOPLE

>ruin your exquisite gown every time you walk
>not receive any warmth and pick up every piece of dogshit and mud when you go outside
>look fat and retarded
>wear a necklace as a belt
Just because that bitch's tits are dangling round her waist doesn't mean they didn't know how to use broaches, this woman just wants attention

>muh islamic contacts of viking era sweden
>muh black brits
Whats their fucking agenda? What will be next? Ceasar was bedouin?

It reminds me of Latvian folk patterns. Maybe that's Kufic as well.

Why do you assume I am catholic?
When did I say any of that shit?
Why do you think having "pride in ones race or place" would be in opposition to tell skinhead spergs to fuck off?
How does it feel to know the Second Vatican Council shall never be reversed?
kek fuck off paranoid retard

Ahaha fucking Swedish nationalists got BLACKED.

Y'all fucking white devils are on BLACK land, now get the fuck off it.

>When a Swedish neo-Nazi group staged a demonstration in the country's second largest city last weekend, they were by far outnumbered by counter-demonstrators. Group which protested the march was Vikingar Mot Rasism (Vikings Against Racism), a network set up by Viking fans to challenge the use of Viking symbols by white nationalists.
Good for them!

>"Viking enthusiasts get mistaken for racists and Nazis all the time, and we're very uncomfortable with that. White nationalists don't get to reinvent what Viking culture is," says Solvej von Malmborg, an admin for the network's Facebook group.
That’s fair

>We know that the Vikings had lots of intercultural relations, and positive ones too, which you don't often hear about. They were traders and mixed with cultures all over the reachable world.
Not wrong

>Viking women often had foreign husbands
[citation needed]

>and we do know that women were empowered, and that there were female warriors, for example
Oh, never mind, it’s all bullshit.

How come everyone who stands against neo-Nazis/white nationalists recently have to be total fags? What happened to anti-fascist conservatives a la Churchill or de Gaulle. It makes me want off this gay Earth.

>"My opinion is that those who wore the fabrics must have understood the symbolism."
Its literally already widely known that Europeans would buy silk and other luxury cloth from the Islamic world and it would often have Arabic script or whatnot on it but the Europeans literally had no idea what it said. There are examples of paintings of christian saints wearing this clothing and some of them literally say "Allah is one" and directly refute trinitarianism...all the while the European painters just thought they were copying some nifty Arabic design.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Kufic

>heathens
Is there anything more cringeworthy? It's like calling yourself 'Snake' or something.

>she brought forth the artistic truth or some such nonsense.
>Swedish education

A SJW feminist immigrant-lover zoomed in on a part of a piece of cloth, mirrored it down the middle, squinted, rubbed vaseline in HER eyes and then saw what she desperately wanted.

It has already been proved that this was fake and gay as fuck.