Interpreting Genesis as literal truth is a Protestant meme that only came about in the 19th century

>interpreting Genesis as literal truth is a Protestant meme that only came about in the 19th century

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_calendar#Comparative_list_of_dates_of_creation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accommodation_(religion)
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know much about religious history. Please, explain your post

>implying that Catholics never believed in Biblical fairytale creation myths.

>This one ivory tower theologian had a nonliteral interpretation.
>This means 90% of the other people at the time also had a nonliteral interpretation

There have always been Christians who preferred to interpret Genesis's account of creation on a purely allegorical level, but there have also always been people who thought it literally happened that way. (There were also some church fathers who said that the six days of creation weren't literal days, but were each 1000 years because of a Psalm that says 1000 years is like a day to God.) Many people have tried to calculate the actual age of the world based on the Bible and the Byzantine Empire based their official calendar on the idea that the world was created in 5509 BC. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_calendar#Comparative_list_of_dates_of_creation

The Gospel of Luke gives a direct genealogy from Adam to Jesus and Chronicles also gives a genealogy from Adam to recent kings of Judah, so it seems likely that the authors of those texts believed Adam really existed. Now that the Biblical account of creation has been conclusively disproved as far as being something that literally happened, Christians try to damage control by saying no one except Ken Ham types ever thought it was literal and only recently.

wow the priest chosen by god to interpret his word had a better understanding than the peasants durrr

>protestants

I don't know
so many of the Germanic kings were descendants of Woden or Odin or whateer as well
did they REALLY think that or was it just a common justification for sovereignity?

Augustine of Hippo hasn't.

Well I don't know about the Germanic kings themselves but surely a lot of their subjects believed it or else the propaganda wouldn't really work. Same with Roman emperors and apotheosis, or the Chinese/Japanese Emperors.

only low classes and priests believed it literally. It has allways been like this with religions. Even the republic promotes inventing a religion for keeping the poor stable.
But i think that is cool, brainlets will brainlet, so just lie them to not chiimp out

pretty sure virtually everyone took it literally

allegorical readings were in addition to, not replacing the literal readings.

maybe you could argue adam was only the first Jew, and gentiles were created separate, because of the different creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2. I know fundamentalists basically add up the ages of everyone in the bible to get the Earth’s age, but I’m confused as to how they explain people who live to be 700 years old. How do Jews deal with this shit anyway?

>allegorical readings were in addition to, not replacing the literal readings.
That's just false. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accommodation_(religion)

Most People just didn't read it literally until the reformation.

>pretty sure virtually everyone took it literally
*blocks your path*

>thinking the waters in the beginning were terrestrial bound oceans
>thinking Eden is a place on Earth and hunting for it in the middle of Saudi Arabia instead of finishing the book first

it was open to interpretation though, something you can't say about muh sola fide muh sola scriptura faggots

If you actually read what Origen said you'll find he believed most the same things that modern literalists do.

For example, he believed that the "Mosaic account of creation... teaches that the world is not yet ten thousand years old, but very much under that".

And also that the flood happened, the ark carried a pair of every animal, and that every human alive today was descended from Noah.

When people not talk about ancient Christians "not taking the bible literally" it's really only true for the first chapter of Genesis, and even then just a few people with their own idiosyncratic interpretations.

>implying anyone believes in salvation through one thing alone

yeah, maybe untill the enlightment this is true. But not later.

Some did, others didn't. The educated elite really didn't. I doubt the peasantry paid much attention to whether or not the was literal or not. By the time you reach the 13th century, the Roman Catholic Church had fully adopted the Aristotelian Cosmology.

>I know exactly what every ancient christian felt even though I've never read any ancient christian works or any scholarly commentary on them

That's the people saying ancient Christians weren't literalists

Tell that to my Fundie Baptist family.

nigger

>thinking the waters in the beginning were terrestrial bound oceans
What were they, then?