What is your favorite writing system? What do you think the world should use as its writing system?

What is your favorite writing system? What do you think the world should use as its writing system?

Anglo-Saxon runes

I think it's best when different places have different systems.

>What do you think the world should use as its writing system?
ASCII and balanced ternary

my nigga

Orthodox Slavic countries should use both the glagolithic and cyrillic alphabets like the japanese use katakana and hirigana.

IMO hebrew alphabet is the most efficient and aesthetic
do you know why katakana and hirigana are used? cyrilic is a complete alphabet

the Japanese fusion of their native scripts and the Latin alphabet is definitely comfy

But Glagolitic was used in Croatian chatolic church until 19th century

I just see a lot of people walking.

bump

>IMO hebrew alphabet is the most efficient and aesthetic
The extant authorized conventions for the formal handwritten script weren't always around and as evidenced by older Hebrew documents and manuscripts, requirements for the formation of the letters weren't always as specific. Maybe Islamic calligraphic codification influenced Jews to attempt the same. Also the Paleo-Hebrew/Phoenician script while not necessarily aesthetic is probably more efficient and is more resemblant of western alphabets.

Arabic calligraphy looks neat

Is that actually readable?

Hangul. It's legitimately incredible, I'd suggest using it for other languages if not for the fact that part of what's great about its design is how well-adapted for Korean specifically it is.
Phags-pa was also cool- adapted for multiple languages, and pretty aesthetic.

bump

Kanji/hanzi looks and feels good until you reach certain number of strokes.
Don't know about what the world should use, each language has it's quirks so you can't just force a single script and expect to not lose meaning.

Yes, Phags pa and certain squared mongolian script looks beautiful, if too repetitive and impractical for handwritting. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth to learn them.

>Don't know about what the world should use, each language has it's quirks so you can't just force a single script and expect to not lose meaning.
I mean theoretically you could just write everything in IPA.

English

Plebeian taste at best.

Devanagari is pretty cool since it is perfectly adapted to the languages it was used for (Vedic Sanskrit, Sanskrit and Prakrit), so that every letter would represent exactly one phoneme.

What you call the "Hebrew alphabet" is simply one of about 16 Aramaic scripts. Yes, 16. This is 20th century Aramaic calligraphy. Truly the master script-family.

Is that the Semitic equivalent of 1960s psychedelic calligraphy?

Inca Quipus are by far the most unique "writing" system ever. Very practical for statistics and census record keeping.

I've been meaning to teach myself Glagolitic. Cherokee syllabary is pretty cool too. It's one of the few indigenous American scripts, along with Cree and maybe a couple others.

Is there any language you already know that was historically written in Glagolitic? Or would you just be learning it for the sake of learning it?

漢字 and kana of course. Objectively the best system.

Just learning it for the sake of learning it. I taught myself Cyrillic already. I've wanted to learn Russian for years but I keep putting it off. When I learn Russian, I might use that as a stepping stone to learn a bit of Old Church Slavonic. But for now, my Russian is pretty much limited to writing "secret" messages in Cyrillic when I'm bored. I'd probably end up doing the same with Glagolitic all things considered.

Actually, that's pretty much the same with me, I use Cyrillic to write things to myself in English or Esperanto. Except I'm not particularly interested in learning Russian.

It's hella aesthetic, sure, especially with things like assigning non-standard readings/glosses to characters using furigana; frankly I kind of wish we could do that in English.

I propose the entire world switches to the finnish language, and the writing system will be kanji adapted to finnish.

Haиc!

Џи ecтac cyфичe бeлa aлфaбeтo.

皆イ人セト生ヴェト自由イナヤ等シナ尊アンヤ權クシルタ
I used katakana for the case endings. I may have made mistakes, since I don't speak Finnish.

Georgian because it looks so aesthetic

>What is your favorite writing system?
Tengwar
>What do you think the world should use as its writing system?
The Japanese system. Kanji/Hanzi would be the universal written language and there would be a proliferation of syllabaries a la hiragana/katakana for various different language groups that would all feed into the kanji system. In this way all words are rooted in a common ideogram that can be expressed in dozens of localized forms.

Why not just use Classical Chinese and read it in your own language, kanbun-style?

>orthodox slavs
Glagolitic is the croatnigger trait

Georgian elf runes

Runes came from Italic influence. Snowniggers didn't have the IQ to create alphabet

And Italic from Greek, Greek from Phoenician, Phoenician from Egyptian. What's your point?

Islamic/Arabic calligraphy is beautiful. And yeah, my friend can read Arabic and he says he can read it.

This is fucking cool af. Does every federal building in Croatia have tablets both in latin and glagolitic?

It looks more artistic than practical, pass

Easiest and worst option, by far

>No spacing

Efficient

Some of them have in cyrillic.

Ithkuil
Everyone should use it

Translation: "As our vehicle leaves the ground and plunges over the edge of the cliff toward the valley floor, I ponder whether it is possible that one might allege I am guilty of an act of moral failure, having failed to maintain a proper course along the roadway."
Romanized: Pull̀ uíqišx ma’wałg eřyaufënienˉ päţwïç aŭë’yaļt xne’wïļta’şui tua kit öllá yaqazmuiv li’yïrzişka’ p’amḿ aìlo’wëčča šu’yehtaş

IPA: [ˈpʊlːˋ ʊˈJˊqJʃx ˈmaʔwaMɡ ɛʁjɑʊfɤˈnJɛnˉ ˈpæθwɯç aʊˈxɤʔjaɬt xnɛʔwiɬˈtaʔʂʊJ tʊa kJt œlːˈaˊ jaˈqazmʊJv lJʔjɯɾˈzJʂkaʔ p’amːˊ aJlɔˈwɤtʃːa ʃʊʔˈjɛhtaʂ]

Sure, the calligraphy, but normal Arabic script is really efficient because it's cursive- you can write a whole word only lifting up your pen once or twice depending on the word, plus there's usually no vowels.

I unironically love the Ge'ez script and how it works.

It looks like it's an abugida.

>anglo-saxon
>not a copycat of the etruscan alphabet
snowniggers as usual

>etruscan alphabet
>not a copycat of the greek alphabet

>greek alphabet
>not a copycat of the phoenician alphabet

>phoenician alphabet
>not just simplified hieroglyphs

bump

What is that, futhark or something?

bump

nice digits

>favourite writing system
Kanji and kana, beautiful and so peaceful to write. learning kanji must have been the happiest time of my life.
>why should the world use it?
The World should stick to the alphabet and english for international purpose while keeping its own language and writing system just as it is today.

English
English

English is not a writing system. It is a language, and its writing system is the Roman alphabet.