From an American or European perspective, is much known about Canadian history? Is it taught at all in public schools...

From an American or European perspective, is much known about Canadian history? Is it taught at all in public schools? What is your modern perspective of Canada and its history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o7jlFZhprU4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nah

lol no

In the Netherlands we only really know that it was ruled by Britain and France at points, part of the Dominions, and that they were pretty cool guys who liberated us during WW2.

how is this even a question? of course's it's gonna be hell to the no lmfao

Only that you torched the White House, even though for some (((reason))) they conveniently leave out it's cause we torched Toronto first and that they were British regulars, not canucks

All I know is Canada was another British colony but instead of fighting for your freedom you kind of just hung out for a while until the British gave it to you of their own volition for whatever reason.

If you count England as European we don't tend to learn foreign history at all except at a young age.
What we may learn (depending on school) would be about the fact it was part of the empire and helped in WW1 or WW2. Sorry to be dissapointing but that's not even the short story. The empire is hardly taught and the provinces even less so.
We don't even learn about the American revolution or the fact that it even happened

youtube.com/watch?v=o7jlFZhprU4

American, here's what I know..
>Canada starts off as french colony
>exists mostly for furs
>Brits and British American colonists BTFO France in French-Indian war (it might be called something else in other countries)
>American Revolutionary war happens
>War of 1812 happens
>during War of 1812, America invaded Canada
>we thought we would be welcomed as liberators
>Canadians tell us to fuck off
>Canadian theatre is a total failure
That's literally all I know. Excuse any mistakes, the
>American education
meme is very real

euro here, and nothing
not that canada has any history anyway, just another colony doing fuck all

>We don't even learn about the American revolution or the fact that it even happened

No, you're the slaves still under the boot of the same bloodline.

Why would you be taught anything about the country that won their freedom?

Pretty much, we call it the Seven Years War even when referring to the North American theatre in Canada

The fuck is canada?

I think he’s talking about east Alaska

Frogfag here, nobody knows anything about the history of Canada, and for us Canada equals Quebec (i.e lumberjacks and simple/stupid people with funny retarded accents)

What even...?

are the Quebecois associated with old france/monarchies? I've been doing a lot of reading about the Anglo-French tensions in Canada during WWI and apparently the Quebecois didn't feel the same connection to France because they mostly immigrated before the french revolution

54 40 OR BUST

No, they're not associated to anything politically, they're basically running jokes for most of the French, we look down on them and make fun of their accent , but we'd still defend them against the eternal Anglo, like someone would defend its retarded little cousin because he's still family.

Was there support for their independence movement?

Yeah I'm pretty sure every French would an independent Quebec

Before the Quiet revolution in Quebec, Quebecois culture was basically traditional, very catholic, conservative, and essentially as near feudal as a Western state can be (think Spain I guess). You had people clinging to church & old French traditions. With the quiet revolution, Quebec basically got 2 centuries of French decadence in 2 years

I was taught Canadian (and Mexican) history in 5th grade, which is pretty much the only reason I know about shit like the rebellion of 1837 and the incorporation of the provinces. Then again I'm a Jew Yorker, so less liberal parts of the country probably wouldn't give a shit at all (unless your from one of the border states, in which case Canadian history actually would be relevant to you).

>(unless your from one of the border states, in which case Canadian history actually would be relevant to you).

50 year old metro Detroiter here, and we were taught nothing at all about Canada in school.

bit of colonialism bit of war of 1812 and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

t. USA

I bet most americans don't even know that Canada is a monarchy

Unpopular opinion
This flag is better than the leaf but not as good as the Acadian one

>go to DC for vacation
>canadians in our tour group
>tour guide starts talking to them
>"so do you guys consider the queen as your leader?"
>"NO!"
lol

>Canada be good at hockey