Do any of you guys practice the martial arts...

Do any of you guys practice the martial arts? I'm looking to learn how to fight but would like to in the confines of my room.

*appears behind you*
Care for a little training session?

*smirks*
*unsheathes Katana*
'Now, where were we?' *chortling*

buy a boxing bag.

You will never learn to fight well without someone to fight against. Your best bet is to actually join a gym that teaches some type of technique I'd suggest starting with something like judo bc it's wide spread and usually pretty affordable and when you've got some basic then think about a more striking focused martial art but throwing yourself around your bedroom pretending to fight is only going to give your body muscle memory of bad habits that will get you hurt

nah i live in society

>I'm looking to learn how to fight but would like to in the confines of my room.

Let me be clear about this:
YOU CANNOT LEARN TO GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE WITHOUT GETTING PUNCHED IN THE FACE

You can box with a bag or something, but it'll just teach you to punch and kick, fighting a person is a whole other ball game.

Before /asp/ turned to shit, the usual recommendation was:

One of:
>muay thai
>boxing
>kickboxing
>kyokushin

AND one of:
>Judo
>BJJ
>Wrestling

Do that and you'll be able to fight properly.

I do Muay Thai. Just pay for a class. You cannot teach yourself any martial art.

I'll be starting muay thai in a while, and I've boxed since I was 15 so I'm pretty good, but how do I choose the second one? muay thai seems like a better choice for number 1 beacause there are more ways to hit, how should I choose the second one?

my mate who's been boxing since 9 years old said that if you have no prior experience, jumping into something that has many techniques such as kickboxing or muay-thai isn't a good idea. so it's better to keep things basic.

he told me to join boxing classes, and just keep at it for about a year to literally just learn how to "walk" properly and move year head out of harm's way. he said that learning how to take a punch (or dodge one) is the most important thing.

it sounded like solid advice, so I'll probably join that.

the problem is my cardio. used to compete in powerlifting back in high school, and I'm a naturally big guy who's clumzy (6'4, 200lbs now and I don't even lift)

are big clumzy guys doomed to do no-punch sports like judo or wrestling? I just seem too slow and clumzy for boxing. it just seems like a sport for fast nimble fellas who got small legs and fast feed.

10/10 b8

Yeah when and why did /asp/ turn into a cesspool all of a sudden? I browsed there 2 years ago and there was a variety of topics among the preponderance of wrasslin threads. Now all the other topics have dried up and it's devolved into wrasslin autism. Even bodyweight general has come back to Veeky Forums after they kicked it out to /asp/. I've always thought "this board is/was always/became shit" was contrarian memeing until I made a return visit to /asp/, then the meme became real.

>but would like to in the confines of my room
Then it's pointless because you have no full contact experience and will get rekt the second someone slightly grazes you

this, also you learn retarded habits, when you eventually take a class your teacher will drive himself mad trying to undo your faggot habits

>been shadowboxing every day with no training for almost a year in

am I fucked?

>lifting your leg against people that might know how to grapple
No thank you

if you're fighting in the street you don't want to roll around on the ground, if you try to choke the guy his friends will just come and stomp your face in

I just started Hapkido. Don't really know what to make of it. I just want to be able to defend myself.
Thoughts Veeky Forums?

if it's like aikido it's a meme

1. Grappling is gay
2. Hapkido doesn't work

How?

Just check out a book on boxing from your library, then practice doing the one-two 5000 times a day in your room until you're able to defeat any street punks that try to hassle you with your blinding speed

>if you're fighting in the street you don't want to roll around on the ground
Exactly, which is why I'll try to keep balance by putting both feet on the ground before some fuck that did judo when he was a kid grabs my leg and sweeps my back onto the asphalt

You could probably learn it from watching amateur and professional fights and shadwoboxing/hitting a punching bag a few hours a week.

Learning from an actual coach would be much faster though.