Reconcile the existence of God with the existence of evil

Reconcile the existence of God with the existence of evil

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FcaarqK2qKk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God is evil.

evil is medicine for the soul. So that we do not become animals, or wyrms.

Easy. God gave us free will, so we have the option to sin (to do evil). Sin leads to death though, so sinners are continously auto-purged. A good example is AIDS, if you sin by fucking other men in the ass you get AIDS and die.

Not fedora aetheist btw. Just looking for sensible replies/arguments.

Evil is when people distant themselves from God, because evil is not the negative of good, but rather the lack and absence of it

Basically evil comes from hunanity not listening to god's rules.
The more I look at today's social problems the more it makes sense.

Yes, 'evil' is the absence of 'good'. But how/why does it even exist if there is a omnipotent being.

I guess because the omnipotent being lives in heaven, not on earth. He is not bothered by the actions of mortals. Mortals need God, God does not need mortals.

Because he gives us liberty to either accept his light or reject it, aka free will

Good =/= nice

Why not giving us a straightforward choice instead of just making many religions and then deciding that anyone who choose the wrong one willingly rejected him?

Abrahamic religions don't deal well with religious determinism (most people follow the religion of their parents so most christians are just luciy to be born in the right religion) and unconvincingly deny the notion of genuine error. (someone who meet christianism just can't genuinely not see is it true, he must be a bad person only pretending to not see the self-evident truth if he died without ever converting).

I've never read a convincing explanation about that.

There's no "right" religion. Religion isn't the end goal, it's rather the means by which we can approach God. God didn't make many religions, men did that. God is right and true and good, if men want to be they have to get to know God, a lot of different cultures have tried this by making different religions, with varying success.
It's interesting that when a Christian culture came into contact with heathens, they tried to convert them to the "true faith", because they saw the heathen deities as false gods. But when the Romans, during their expansion, came into contact with foreign religions, they had a different approach. They tried to interpret the deities of the foreign culture as corresponding to a certain deity of the Roman state religion. This was because they believed all religions had a common transcendent goal, in that they all tried to achieve knowledge of the same truths about divinity.

That is up to interpretation user.
The way I see it any good person will enter heaven, even atheist and people who follow other teachings, because if good can only come from god, then any good person must have god in their hearts, even if they don't know it. Remember that humans are fallible and easily corruptible, don't take anything you hear for granted, religious authorities can commit mistakes, even Jesus called them out on misinterpreting the word of God.

>eat monkeys like God intended us to
>get AIDs
What the fuck I hate God now.

Don't fall for bait user

>The way I see it any good person will enter heaven, even atheist and people who follow other teachings

Isn't this blasphemy?

evil is a religions concept, proving religion with religious concept shouldn't be taken seriously.

For many christians it might be, for many others not, blind dogma is a dangerous thing, personally I choose to take a more practical approach to religion, then again remember that in the end of the day we all are humans prone to mistakes, the wisest thing you can do is to inform yourself as much as you can, be introspective with knowledge and arrive to your own informed conclusions.

It's more reasonable for sure but how do you know if any of that is true?

This but unironically.

Nah you've got it backwards "goodness" is when people distance themself from God. That's why the bad guys always seem to win, because they are the one's closest to God.

A personal conclusion reached after partying from religious axiomas and trying to find a logical answer that seems to coordinate in harmony with them and reality, in the same way you solve mathematical problems with axioms that you assume to be true, as always in this life we won't get a definite answer about whether I'm right or wrong. Only god knows the answer.

Btw, recommend you to read the books written by saint.augustine on the whole subject if you want a deeper response to the question, if you are curious that's it, his logical approach to religion was obviously more advanced than mine. Would love to keep up with the conversation but I'm hitting the bed rn

Ok, thanks for the answers.

t. aquinas

God is good.
Everything in the universe has an inverse.

Unironically saint Thomas of Aquinas writtings are perfect for this subject too

"God" and "evil" are two concepts you like to constantly use in your shitty fanfics about real life so you can have a good LARP session.

I don't write fanfiction. Wtf, i just asked why does evil exist if there exists a being most perfect. Why are you so hostile?

God maximizes good at the expense of the creation of evil. When men do good through their own will it is a greater good than if they were compelled. When God creates a self-sustaining Universe it comes at the expense of natural distasters because there was no other logically possible way of doing so.

Even if your individual life is completely awful, you may take solace in knowing that this is the best possible Universe that could have existed.

You're stating that God is ambivalent. But wouldn't that contradict the very idea that God is the epitome of perfection?

for the equillibrium of the universe

how would you know god is good without something to measure him to

Humans are animals - animals are bound by natural law.

Humans are animals with souls - souls are bound by divine law.

youtube.com/watch?v=FcaarqK2qKk

isn't the christian god the alpha and the omega? it's stands to reason that the good and the bad are within it's realm of 'being'

It's not for humans to decide what is evil. When we consider something evil it's possible we are mistaken. Only God has perfect knowledge. It's presumptuous of us to think we know better than God

you don't write fanfiction
but you sure LARP like you do
faggot

evil is the conscious transgression of the Law. since only free being can be a personality and since god is a personality, god is a divine abyss of freedom in which we participate, but whereas god is the eternal sun, we are creatures because our centers can be extinguished or usurped. the groundlessness of freedom is inseperable from the possibility of evil. love and evil are like a snake with a head at both ends trying to eat itself

Light needs darkness

But how then do you reconcile the existence of the demiurge with the existence of good?

Okay. Tell me, how did you come to that conclusion?

Because of free will. He leaves it up to us whether to choose good or evil.

Destruction doesn't always mean evil.

Look at all these Christ tards trying to defend to justify this shit
>light needs darkness!
>muh free will
>he didn’t we did!
Like as if this all powerful, all knowing being couldn’t find a work around to any of that shit or isn’t responsible for literally everything. Either accept your god isn’t real or he’s a evil fuck.

I now regret making this thread.

God is neutral at best and is far beyond our comprehension.
Believing a bunch of desert savages wiping their asses with their hands 2000+ years ago had a single truth of the universe uncovered is the real fallacy famalamadingdong

How do I reconcile a vague abstraction with another vague abstraction?

>implying humans can see the bigger picture and know what evil truly is
When you stop a child from putting his fingers in an electrical socket, the child will get upset and complain. Doesn't mean you did something wrong.

We deserve it

Read Augustine

God is evil

Gnostics out

Your shitty heresy got BTFO a long time ago, get over it

The world is fleeting.

how can there be good without evil?

>god doesn't act how I would
>therefore doesnt real

weak

Because is not evil merely the absence of goodness?

even if thats true if everything were good and just would we even be able to conceive goodness and justice without evil and injustice to compare them to?

I don't have to. God doesn't "exist" in the same sense that evil does. God transcends existence with aseity. On the other hand Evil doesn't, its existence is only continues so long as it is permitted by God.

Then whence evil? Well, in order to provide mankind with liberty and rationality as creatures, God gave us the ability to commit evil (i.e. to act contrary to His commands). What we would call "free will" was corrupted by the fall of Adam and Eve, and we have totally degenerated to the point that the only inclination of our wills is to commit evil.

It is worth nothing that eschatologically speaking, evil will not exist forever. It will be judged on the day of God's choosing.

1) God is evil
2) God doesn't care
3) God is not powerful
4) God is not real
5) Evil is not real
6) Neither God/Evil are real

Concept of Zero is good for shitters like you.

Baseline called neutral state or null state.

This goes one of two ways:
>1: God is logical
>2: God is illogical
If statement 1 is correct, then God cannot eliminate evil as it's as much a part of the human experience as hanging out with people or learning new things. If statement 2 is correct, then you're basically complaining that an illogical being isn't being logical and your opinion should be promptly discarded.

The soul performs actions out of his own free will; sinful actions lead to suffering and pious actions lead to enjoyment. Both types of actions bind the soul to material nature therefore one has to become freed from his karma through bhakti-yoga.

go on

A world of only good isn't interesting. The best way to test humans is to introduce some tempting evil.

If there is no such thing as God, then there is no such thing asGood or Evil. If there is no such thing as evil, then Hitler did nothing wrong.