Anyone ever consider building a solar powered mining machine...

Anyone ever consider building a solar powered mining machine? I got a job and would rather throw my savings into a machine rather than losing it on shill coins. I would do it out of my garage.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/DDRF9hJ
wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/start-here/offgrid-calculator).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>muh solar energy

just use coal
>muh pollution

who cares. smokestacks look cool also

I don't actually care about the environment, I just don't wan't my energy bill going up and eating my profits. Obviously solar is expensive but has quicker returns when paired with a mining machine.

Not really worth it. You'd have to spend about $4k for just the panels, batteries and inverter, maybe more depending on where you live/how much sun you get. And that's just to run a rig with 1 or 2 cards. ROI would be like ten years, lol

BURN COAL

FREE ENERGY

WHO CARES IF ITS ILLEGAL? WHO GONNA KNOW SAY ITS A BARBEQUE

My setup would be simple, and looks pretty cheap so far...

4k? He doesn't need 20 panels lol.
The inverter and batteries will be the biggest cost, the batteries aren't needed if he only mines during the day or is happy to pay low peak energy rates at night.

4k would be closer to total cost.

You're going to need more than 100 watts, and remember that the one panel you have there will output 100w ONLY in perfect conditions, which is never

R u an engineer? How would I calculate my energy needs based on consumption?

Electrician wageslave, spent the first six months of this year doing only Solar installations.

I think you would be fine with 800-1000 watts for a decent mining rig.

A decent panel should cost $150-300 AUD depending on location and output, most panels that I've installed have been 260-280 watts.

3 standard panels you see on a roof should be plenty, but at least here in Australia, they are hard to purchase individually.

You will need a inverter to convert the DC power from the panels into AC power so your rig can use it. Might be a micro-inverter solition that is viable.

I would consider batteries at a later date, they can be quite expensive.

>100-watts in perfect conditions
kek. Have fun buying 20 of those.

DESU, you could drive around looking for in progress solar installations (look for the racking on the roof but no panels). Chances are the panels are laying around on site somewhere, wouldn't be too hard to find them and take 3 for your needs.

We've had people steal panels that we had left over night.

Thanks user thats alot of good information there. Would a rasberypi be cheaper/more efficient than a computer tower (keeping heat in mind)?

yeah thats extremely illegal

one antimer is almost 1300 watt

You're welcome pal

Theft is illegal? Crazy.

It's an option though. Installers are covered for the loss.

>Would a rasberypi be cheaper/more efficient than a computer tower (keeping heat in mind)?
I don't think you could mine much at all with a pi, maybe one of those coins that has a 1 click browser miner. You'd be better off with a tower

Try throw your money in PnD's instead:

discord.gg/DDRF9hJ

>rasberypi
The motherboard needs at least 6 pci slots to GPU mine efficiently. Have you done any reasearch into mining?

So... Solar is awesome. Great. Works well in the right climates.

The people here doing the math on solar, however, are fucking retarded. 3x300 watt pannels will not power a mining rig for 24 hours a day. Here's some easy math for you nugget munchers:

Assume mining rig requires 1000 watts / hour to operate (1 kw /h ). That mining rig will, then, require 24 kwh per day to operate, 720 kwh/month and 8640 kwh/year. Not bad, but let's hop into a quick solar calculator and do the specs on a system (wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/start-here/offgrid-calculator). 14-20+ panels. For one rig.

The solar system will cost more than the mining rig by a factor of 3-7 depending on how bad you get gouged for the mining rig and how shrewd of a negotiator you are for solar. Don't forget the battery system (assuming you're not tied to the grid for net metering) at another $5000-7000.

Basically, solar for mining is fucking retarded.

I'm going to be a millionaire when I build a miner that runs on Linkie tears

>3x300 watt pannels will not power a mining rig for 24 hours a day
This is completely true, he would have to use grid power when there is low/no sun.

3 panels would be enough to eliminate most of the energy costs during the sunnier parts of the day, assuming that you're only powering the rig.

I'm not saying this is viable, just the better option out of the 100w panel OP suggested, and the 20 panels that would actually be needed to be completely independent from grid power.

This is why I listed stealing panels as an option, it's probably the only way this could come close to viable. Certainly shouldn't connect them to the grid if you did decide to steal them though.

3 x 300 watt panels would produce, at most, around 800 watts for 4-5 hours a day (during the sunniest part of the year) for a few months a year.

Thanks my dude, I guess I'll have to suck it up and stick to the grid

>not using hydro
>free electricity and watercooling

It would make more sense to just have an electric mining rig and outsource the solar power from a solar power plant....

He can always steal someone's. The insurance would pay for it so really he wouldn't be hurting anyone.

>Not just mining on library computers
lel

>Why has no one thought of this

You don't see the big mines on solar because it isn't cheaper, whether or not it is cheaper than your local power doesn't even matter, you will not be competitive with solar and would be better off to buy and hodl.

or get a alcohol still and license for less than 200 bucks and use it as an alternative.

Holding btc, ok, grs, vox, xvg, and shitty bmc & Nav.
Omg I literally can't stop laughing at your smarts. I imagine myself Wheeling in a tower and plugging it in with a 4" plug

$SANP perhaps?