pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/
discord.gg/qDDnc6B
twitter.com/AnonBabble

will start bumping with this question:

should I use arms doing cleans?
I've seen so many videos I am confused and don't know what to believe anymore...

youtube.com/watch?v=Hrxex6ZBEAw&t=310s

I've done 1 experimental oly weightlifting class and I got snatch pretty quickly, but I still haven't figured cleans out, is this normal? I have a standard 10kg barbell and I've been practicing cleans and the exercise in the video above with no weights but I just can't get it right...(the clean, the exercise in the video I can get right)

you should be lifting the bar with lower body extension (of the hips, knees mostly). Your arms are guiding the path of the bar, not pulling it up.

The confusion may be when people talk about "pulling themselves under the bar" this doesnt mean pulling the bar up, this means using the weight of the bar to pull yourself towards it (a horizontal pull).

Yeah, I get the idea, just can't do it... I can get the explosion from the hips on snatches, but I can't with cleans, I don't know why

guess I will have to wait for classes to correct it, shame its in 10 days, I am pretty excited to do it

lower weight and practice power hang cleans

also "tall cleans" with very light weight
force yourself to ride down your cleans into a front squat without rising up first

How do I get my traps strong enough to hold weight overhead and not have my shoulders feel like they are breaking

presses
presses behind the neck
push jerks behind the neck
you can also do multiple overhead squats after power snatches (or even power jerks if you can do clean grip ohs)

are you doing it properly? tightening you scapulas and such?

thanks, just watched a demo of it and seems like it will help a lot, will try it tomorrow, thanks

>tfw I can back squat 150, front squat 138, yet I only CJ 104 and snatch 68

Should I just quit lads?

Do any of you guys overhead squat?

How do you guys go about programming any sort of cardio into your weightlifting routine? How about upper body work?

Nah, I never program it, but I have clean grip overhead squatted 70kgs before.

All the time. With lighter weight it works as a good warmup before getting into snatches/cj that day

he's a big guy

I like doing oly lifting but I also want some size

If I'm doing 4 days of oly lifting could I conceivably do 1 or 2 days of bodybuilding on the side or does that generally not work out?

How do I into Olympic lifting?

How come the Chinese lifters always walk forward with their squats? I've always been told to unrack by walking backwards and it seems like the more common choice.

Are you sure it doesn't depend on the rack they're getting the bar from? Take: m.youtube.com/watch?v=MI0L7E_5Qac for example compared to the webm, Lu walks backwards. To me, the reason I don't walk backwards to rerack the bar is because it's easier to fuck up especially if I'm tired after a heavy set compared to walking forward. The rack in the webm doesn't have anything to bump into when walking backwards so it's harder to screw up and has a bigger area to hold the bar compared to the common squat rack (which is a scary bitch to rerack in backwards to me because of the recoil from bumping with a heavy barbell)

What you said makes sense, but wouldn't it still make more sense to rerack by walking forward even with the rack the Chinese lifters are using in that Webm? I've just heard it countless times "always unrack by walking backwards". Some people have said it's easier to rerack by walking forwards after a set, but I'm not sure.

most of the time i walk forward out on my last set if im gonna drop it anyway
but before that its always back out then forward in

While this STEPPE RAIDER is preparing to TAKE your women, you are discussing "feels" on the Internet. Think!

>push jerks behind the neck

it shoulder snappening

>How do I into oly lifting
>Will it make me big
>How do I into snatch
>what program is best?
>Muh Klokov no homo

Bring back the fucking sticky

sage

this
Someone post the sticky

Use your snatch grip, my dude

desu with you breh, i can back squat 150 for reps front squat 145 and only have a 100c+j and a 75 kilo snatch

Tomorrow I will go to my first ow training session. Coach is crossfitter. What should I expect?

>could i conceivably do 1 or 2 days of bodybuilding on the side
sure, thats what i do. though my body building work mainly consists of tonnes of shoulder and upper back work

Yeah breh just remember to hit those bicep peaks atleast 4 times a week. My favourite combo is 5 snatches followed by 5 DB chest presses! Really gets you ripped m8!

Also try to squeeze your pecs when you jerk to make it explosive

try looking up the chinese lifters' train.

they pretty much always do bodybuilding exercises after every oly weightlifting train, though it consists mostly of heavy triceps and abs training (specially weighted dips and weighted situps), but I guess you could do whatever you like as long as you don't exagerate. also, clarence0 does other compounds like bench press and though not that often, deadlifts.

you can learn it by yourself but you have to be VERY conscious that you might do something wrong and you have to progress slowly. try looking up stuff and then practicing while recording, so each time you correct minor mistakes.

a youtube channel that has helped me a lot is torokhtiy's, nigga speaks russian but there is subtitles on almost all videos.

well I created the thread, but since the regular /owg/ died, apparently no one has the sticky. maybe you could help creating one.

I went to my first oly training session last week with an actual oly weightlifter and he said that there are few things crossfiters do wrong in oly lifts, I don't remember exactly what they do in an incorrect form but somebody/some site/youtube channel might answer that

here you go

>Favourite Accessory Exercise Edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

not sure if all the links work and I accidentally the first line

Thanks for posting this man.

here's the opening with pastebins
just got them from the archive

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

I disagree about the deloading. Until the weight is comparable to that of your own body, you physically can't pull yourself under it - the bar is too light and you'll just pull the bar up higher.

These are 100% safe

A reasonable cj is 85% max front squat, so you're not /that/ far off. Your snatch on the other hand...

the chinks do a ton of isolations for tris, bis and delts. there's no problem. however i suggest adding exercises in sparingly and gradually, and if they don't affect your main lifts, keep adding them.

bump

Is it true that fat will turn into muscle if you eat and train hard enough for long periods of time?

My coach is from Bulgaria and was on the national team but I swear a lot of it sounds like bro science.

Not true at all. He either means something different than 'fat turns into muscle' i.e. you recomp or he's wrong.

got rostami webms?

Kind of. Your body has the ability to turn any macro into any other macro. However, the process during which fat is burned off is cathabolic and happens mainly during the fasting stage, while protein synthesis related to muscle growth happens mainly when you're fed, since it's anabolic. So yeah, if you are stimulating muscle growth and have fat to burn, maybe the former will be used to stimulate the latter, but it's not exactly "fat turning into muscle".

Imagine being under that snatch and feeling the imbalance. That took not only a hell lot of physical strength, but mental strength as well.

WHY ARE MY JERKS SO SLOW?
I'm doing jerk drives and I'm not sure it's helping.

thanks a lot, trained today and tall cleans really helped me a lot, I believe I improved my clean with it

Because your arms are slow. Legs move bar, arms move body. This is the principle for all three movements.

Once the bar is passing your forehead you need to start 'punching' with your arms into the catch. This needs to be a deliberate and explosive movement.

>Once the bar is passing your forehead you need to start 'punching' with your arms into the catch.
Oh, right. So I gotta think of pressing the weight, sorta?

No, not really. That will likely slow you down. You aren't actually using your arms to move the weight up; all it's upward momentum should come from your legs and your shoulders in the drive. Your arms are moving your body down into the catch position. 'Punching' is quick and powerful, while 'pressing' is slow and not very powerful.

>'Punching' is quick and powerful, while 'pressing' is slow and not very powerful.
Well, yeah, but same principle, right? Essentially I should also be thinking about straightening my arms as fast as possible, innit? To put pressure on the bar as if I wanted to press it before doing the dip and jerking the weight, right?

I have some questions figured this would be the best place to ask.
I am doing an oly program 3 days a week with coaching. After a year, ive finally hit body weight snatch, 120k, and am looking to cut to 105 over the next 6 months or so.

First question is, should I worry if my maxes drop as I cut?

Additionally, I have been doing push and pull twice a week and cardio on those days as well/ Anyone have a good hypertrophy program to supplement my other two days?

If thinking about it that way helps you, then yes.

I hope it does. I'm just asking if it makes sense - keeping the tightness as if I were about to do a press.
I'm having a hell of a hard time understanding jerks. ;_;

Jerks are a weak point for me, too, bb, don't worry.

Yes, stay tight. Shoulder girdle and diaphragm raised and rigid, core locked, mid back arched, neck stretched up and taut.

>To put pressure on the bar as if I wanted to press it before doing the dip and jerking the weight, right?

Except for this. Arms start working after the bar is passing the forehead. Until then it's all legs and shoulders. Stay tight, though, regardless.

Bump
don't try and die until I come back from the gym.

Pls hurry

bumping with webms

Everything I've learned is from youtube and trial and error, as well as this older dude from my gym. So far my power clean is at 210lbs and it's pretty decent form. I'll just go over everything after the set up and before the rack. First thing is that the bar doesn't pop off your hips, it's more like 1/3-2/3rd the way up your thigh. Pulling with your arms isn't going to make a difference once you get up to higher weights, but you do shrug the bar up to get it high enough to get yourself underneath it. Honestly, I'd throw on some light weight and try it because cleaning with an empty bar feels totally different than cleaning with real weight. Empty bar means no full extension and all that, otherwise the bar goes shooting way too high up. I hope this helps, and if I'm entirely wrong I hope someone gives both of us some insight.

also I thankfully had a barbell and 45lb plates at home so I could practice in my spare time. record yourself doing them and fix the mistakes

Based Clarence.

How do you guys stop yourself from running into shit when you're coming out of the bottom of the snatch and the weight isn't entirely centred?

this kid is a future olympian medalist imo barring a fucked up injury

by dropping the bar early and not trying to force it

desu I don't, I always lose my snatches in the hole forward because I have shit tech

A-alright lads, I'll keep those in mind. Next C&J day is on Tuesday, I'll report then.

how do you use your shoulders without using you arms?

Why don't you just post a form check? There could be so many reasons why you are slow, and focusing on arms when your drive sucks just makes it worse etc.

consider arms just a rope to connect the shoulders to the bar, its like a power shrug, and not an upright row

Please reply.

discord.gg/qDDnc6B

you

What kind of progress should I be aiming for weekly? +5kg every week?

Currently snatching around 85kg. I know I could do more, but I'm hitting a mental wall. So I'm probably going to lower the weight, and get extremely comfortable with 75kg, then 80, etc..

5kg per week is A LOT. Bear in mind that oly is also technique. So your strength may go 5kg per week but not your techinque.

>+5kg every week?

lol no.

Like 10-20kg on your total every cycle/quarter if your training and recovery is on point.

>push jerks

crossfit plz go

Nah, just means you have big technique gains to make.
Free gains without having to get stronger!

Cardio during the intro phase of every cycle, and on average a day during the main phase.
Upper body work literally every single day what the fuck is wrong with you.

If you're lucky you should expect weightlifting
If you're unlucky you'll get horrible meme form

Also be prepared to translate all lifts to their actual names.
Use "squat clean" in an actual oly gym and you'll be laughed out of the gym.

>Your body has the ability to turn any macro into any other macro
no
stop posting

every quarter of the year I should be aiming for 10-20kg?

yes it does dummy I have had an entire semester (which still isn't long enough) of biochemistry classes about it
It's not that the body gets a protein and says: well I'm gonna turn this into a carbohydrate! It's that when a macro hits your system it starts being a part of a huge, complex and highly regulated metabolic maze
pic related

I told you to stop posting.
You're cluttering the thread.

I just wanna get 90kg senpai, get that a blue & a yellow plate on there.. then after that I'd be so close to 2pl8m8. I've been pulling 5kg a week until this week, but I think my noob gains are over now

>It's not that the body gets a protein and says: well I'm gonna turn this into a carbohydrate!
then what you said is wrong fucking idiot, way to contradict yourself

listen to that other user and stop posting

About, yeah, in the early stages of your 'career'. That's 40-80kg in a year--a lot of weight. Going from something line 80/100 to 115/145 in a year is MASSIVE progress.

Nah, y'all are just thick.

these are all me

cheeky cunt

chinese a t l a s

Is this the one the prophesy spoke of? The King of Manlets?

Bump.

even though I can deadlift and squat 120~140kg 3x5, my lower back gets sore from mid-train up to around 15min after finishing the training (have only done 2 oly weightlifting sessions). Is this normal? is it because I never did oly snatchs and cleans?

>detail: i've stopped doing squats and DLs for a while, last time was last week

Might just be because you're not used to the high volume of pulling that olympic weightlifting workouts entail, or maybe you just have a weak core

you are nothing

I backsquat 185 front squat 155 and snatch 80 and clean and jerk 105

>maybe you just have a weak core
not denying or going defensive, but I am doing oly lifts with extremely light weights, so even if I had weak core, 130kg squats and deadlifts would be enough for a core able to handle 30kg snatches wouldn't it?

but I guess it is just the high volume of pulling as you said, thanks

Is anyone here thinking about going to the America Open in Miami this year?

Nah but I might be in Miami during Pan Ams, so I may go to that depending on who's lifting.