What can i add to ss to replace power cleans and build a big butt?

what can i add to ss to replace power cleans and build a big butt?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/artofmanliness/search?query=rippetoe)
startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Light deadlifts

just do SL it's objectively better

and you're objectively a retard

do DL instead of PC and add hip thrusts

I would tongue her ass for days at a time

name a single thing SS does better than SL

i can list multiple that SL has over SS

1. more volume overall which is incredibly important in a beginners program
2. a better choice of exercises (powercleans are not good for anyone other than people who actually do weightlifting)
3. proper programming (not just "well you did well last workout you should put weight on the bar and stop when it feels like that's enough)

ripptoe is a fucking nobody
outside of this board and a few random websites no-one knows of him because he's never ever produced a single athlete in any sport of any noticably quality
his program is decent but SL is better in every concievable way

- SL has you start with babyweights. It will take you forever to actually start getting stronger. SS, on the other hand, tests you on the first workout and let's you kickstart progression

- SL has you add 2.5kg on every workout. This will make progression incredibly slow on the beginning, and incredibly hard after a month or two. SS, on the other hand, has you add as much as 8kg to your deadlift on the first few workouts, and it eventually lowers progression on certain lifts like the ohp and the bench to 1kg per workout. This means you will not get stuck on the 50kg-ohp-deload-loop everyone who does SL gets stuck on

- SL was "written" (copy pasted in a dumb manner and without any thought behind it) by a marketing team with 0 coaching experience, and is targeted towards couch potatoes. SS was written by an ex-professional athlete and a coach with over 3 decades of experience

- SL only has you work your floor pull 1.5 times per week. SS has you work floor pulls 3 times per week, 1.5 deadlifts (3x at the start) and 1.5 power cleans. This means you will get stronger on your deadlift doing SS, since you will be training it a lot more

- SL has you do barbell rows, SS has chinups. Chinups are a better back-builder as the range of motion for the lats is way longer. Not only that, but chinups will give you good biceps development, while rows won't. Only reason you should do rows instead of chinups as a beginner, is in case you can't do bodyweight chinups and the gym doesn't have an assistance machine

- It's way easier to finish 3x5 sets with perfect reps than 5x5 sets with perfect reps. Not only that, but doing 5x5 will exhaust you before the next lift

- SL tells you to deload too much. SS, on the other hand, only tells you to deload if it's 100% necessary

- SS trains both strength and power, and it trains your traps a lot more with the power cleans

Only reason SL is a popular meme is because of marketing efforts. They launched a good mobile app when the market was still untapped, and that made it really popular among normies.
Not only that, but they paid a bunch of personalities of the fitness industry to shill for their program.

Rip, on the other hand, was pretty retarded when it comes to marketing and didn't put much effort into it, and only released a mobile app a few months ago, years too late. This means the only people doing SS were people who were lucky enough to join a gym with a SS coach, or did research and visited lifting forums. Marketing fail 101.

Over the years, a bunch of novices "graduated" from SL with slow progression, but they got ok-tier results and now recommend it all the time as if it's "as good as SS".

Thus, SL became a huge meme even though it's an awful program (the routine is ok, the program is bad).

You don't need to read the full SS book (even though it's great). Watch the videos where Rip teaches how to perform the lifts (youtube.com/user/artofmanliness/search?query=rippetoe) and read the FAQ page startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program and you will be completely fine.

After two-three weeks or so, start doing your power cleans. It's very easy to learn and incredibly valuable for deadlift progression.

from trappy-chan

Speed deads or high clean pulls, but then again PCs are better than those in almost every regard. Especially if you want to build joocy glutes

Stop getting intimidated by a fucking exercise. Power cleans are fun as fuck, athletic, and have good carryover to the other lifts. There's a ton of resources online, and I bet if you put as much time researching how to PC as you did for s/b/d, you wouldn't be having this issue.

I want reddit to leave. SL is a worse SS with better marketing. There's no replacement for power cleans

>name a single thing SS does better than SL
less volume, better for beginners
proper programming not just coying a famous beginner routine, there's a reason every renown coach use 3x5 for beginners
does anyone knows medhi for anything than having ripped ripp off?

>Rippetoe is a fucking nobody
And Mehdi is a fucking Nobel Prize winner...

starting with low weight and slow progression is a good thing
unless you have a history of sport you will not have the ankle/hip/thoracic mobility to squat
you will not have the hamstring or core strength to squat
you won't have the kinesthetic awareness of how to bench or shoulder press
"throwing some weight on and if you get it throw more on" is fucking awful program
it's even worse because you are unsupervised and you have no idea just how bad you are at lifting
when you go to a gym and first squat you will have terrible form but not realise just how bad it is but you'll think it's fine and add weight which according to rippetoe is a good thing
more reps at a very low weight will help you begin to learn how the body moves
slow and steady wins the race, beginner programs should be about learning how to properly do the movements not trying to skip ahead and get to the heaviest weight possible how stupid must you be

any arguement about powercleans is just plain wrong
> There's no replacement for power cleans
> It's very easy to learn and incredibly valuable for deadlift progression.
you will never
ever
ever
learn how to properly powerclean from the book
it doesn't happen you need a coach
it takes months of properly training to learn how to powerclean they should not be in an program designed for beginners without direct coaching

all these attacks that "medhi was at the right place at the right time" have nothing to do with the actual quality of the program compared to SS and aren't worth even addressing

>unless you have a history of fucking basement dweller you will have the ankle/hip/thoracic mobility to squat
FTFY
it's low bar squat

>all these attacks that "medhi was at the right place at the right time" have nothing to do with the actual quality of the program compared to SS and aren't worth even addressing
says the guy who started ad hominem shit about ripptoe

if you're a male finishing high school going into college/ university or into a job and you didn't play sports (this is most of the people here)
you won't have the thoracic or hip mobility to properly low bar squat

sorry mate this is the biggest load of trash i've read all day here. you think beginners won't learn how to squat by doing 3x5 3 times a week? how much more practice do you want? also, the best way to learn the lifts is to do them heavy, we know this.
>hurr beginners will be clueless
i was totally clued up after i read SS. i knew what was required and i coud feel/see what i was doing wrong by filming my sets. i find myself re-reading the squat chapter in SS just to brush up and make sure i'm not deviating from correct form. its the most comprehensive instructive guide available - if this isn't good enough then i guess you must think all beginners need a coach lmao.

further, the mobility to squat can be got by squatting. this isn't rippetoe's ignorance, this is a fact.

slow progression, when beginners are capable of the fastest progression they will ever experience, is plain pointless. many people here and on the SS forums have gotten very strong from doing SS

if you're a male, you're supposed to be fairly active and to be able to do basic moves
it's not high bar ffs
although I do agree that most 4channers being nerds and shit might have flexibility problems

>3. proper programming (not just "well you did well last workout you should put weight on the bar and stop when it feels like that's enough)
do you understanding the goal of strength training?

>ripptoe is a fucking nobody
yeah he's only probably the most famous strength coach in the world alongside maybe dan john

>powercleans are not good for anyone other than people who actually do weightlifting
t. guy who can't clean 1 plate

lmao lad, just lmao.

3 or 4 squat workouts later, you will.

the more you do something the better you will be at it, it's a simple fact and as you say literally say a few lines after that you increase the mobility you need to squat properly

>also, the best way to learn the lifts is to do them heavy
never give people lifting advice jesus what the actual fuck are you thinking?
no-one ever says "well that wasn't very good just throw more weight on" you don't get better by learning incorrect motor patterns and by forcing yourself to do more
if your glute med and glute min aren't properly firing when you're body weight squatting they aren't going to magically turn on when you have 1 plate; if your core isn't strong enough that you can do a perfectly and stand up out of it without good morning it with 1 plate it's not going to fix its self with 1 and a half; if your chest is collapsing because you don't have the thoracic mobility tokeep your head up with 1 plate it isn't going to get better with 1.5
i honestly have no idea what you were thinking when you typed that out but you seriously need to re-evaulate what ego lifting is and the importance of form

anyone will get strong on any beginners program the speed of which you do it is meaningless, the motor patterns you train and ability for you to effectively move and performthe lift is what beginner programs should teach you and you will only learn this from frequently doing the lifts

as i said, and as you agreed, the people here aren't the average male who spent their highschool years playing sport

slow and steady wins the race everytime, ego lifting through your beginners phase is great until you get to an intermidate level and realise your form is shit, half your muscles aren't properly firing and you have to deload and relearn how to do the lifts properly

I think I am even more stiff than the sedentary as a result of playing football for 10 years without stretching.

>you don't get better by learning incorrect motor patterns
never once have i encouraged the use of bad form. good form is obviously taken as a given before the weight is increased. what you're describing isn't a problem with SS, it's a problem with increasing the weight when you shouldn't. rippetoe has said himself that unless all 15 reps are performed correctly, you have no right to move the weight up. i don't understand why you equate SS with the assumption that it will result in bad form because there's no correlation there. i'll say that again for clarity - doing SS does not result in bad form. in fact, reading the bok results in good form.

>if your glute med and glute min aren't properly firing when you're body weight squatting they aren't going to magically turn on when you have 1 plate
well, your glute med will always fire when you squat, regardless. and, since you obviously haven't swuatted much in your life, when you add weight to the bar, the lift changes drastically. bodyweight squats and weighted squats are very different movements for a number of reasons; heavy squats allow you to dig in to the ground more and spread your knees wider, your centre of gravity changes etc. you learn squatting heavy by squattng heavy (correctly, poor form squats are NOT squats).

thoracic mobility is a problem unrelated to SS - if you were to do SL with thoracic problems you'd run into the same problems.

>slow and steady wins the race
on 5/3/1 then yeah maybe. but ask the guys repping 400lbs on the SS forums if slow progression 'won the race' for them, kek.

you need to caml down, lurk moar and stop giving out advice before some poor kid makes the mistake of taking it.

if you have good form with just the bar it's going to nose dive once you put 10kg on each side, rippetoe doesn't say "go up in x increments" he says go up whatever feels right, you might as well just do it properly and do slow small increments that allow you to properly judge small breaks in your form that happen at lower weights rather than finding out because you took a random jump and it moved from being a non issue with a weight that was easily handlable to a weight where your weakness was an issue

you don't learn to squat by squatting heavy, you learn to squat by doing it properly from the start and taking it slowly strength training isn't a sprint it's a marathon any weaknesses you ignore will result in huge muscle inbalances you need to correct later down the line you're always going to be better off doing a slow paced progression with reliable jumps that allow you to notice breakdowns in your form quicker and allow you to fix them rather than making larger inconsistant jumps that allow you to skip weights where you could notice your problems but they are fixable; instead you're doing bigger jumps because you think you're capable of it and suddenly that weak core that was fine on 60kg isn't so capable on 70kg and you do damage to your lower back

>if you have good form with just the bar it's going to nose dive once you put 10kg on each side
absolutely incorrect. who told you this?

look, i've already told you that your issue with SS isn't an issue with SS, it's an issue with FORM. maybe you had a particularly hard time with it but no one i know who has done SS finished it with bad form. why are you so convinced that adding weight to the bar results in bad form? i honestly don't know where you've got this idea in your head from. i suspect you just aren't very strong/lack experience with heavy weights or have severely shitty form that you can't get right or something.

please answer truthfully to both the following questions:
1.have you done SS?
2. can you squat 4plate?

>it's going to nose dive once you put 10kg on each side
DYEL, pal?

Wow, you really ARE an idiot.

a 2.5kg jump in a beginners program will be able to show issues in form while not comprimising it enough that they could potentionally injure themselves

a beginner who has 2 weeks of lifting under their belt and has read a book a few times has no clue how fast their form will turn to shit and if they squat well with 60kgs and they are told "well if it feels right just go for it" they will continue to progress with the same weight as they have been already, but a sudden jump from 60-70 is much more than 50-60 and can cause issues

i'm done
there is no point in me trying to explain to you how quickly form can break down in beginners; especially ones who don't understand what they are doing and have no-one to guide them

because that's what SS and SL are designed for
people who don't really know what they are doing but want to be able to train autonomously

to the OP if you are still reading
more is more, and making random arbitrary jumps because the last set "felt right" won't get you anywhere in weight training. structured and small consistant jumps that allow you to see breakdowns in form and see what issues you have without them being major problems during your lift are what lead to long term success
trying to get those beginner gains out in 3 months instead of 6 months only hurts you in the long run when you realise your non major muscles aren't properly firing because you did almost half the weekly volume and instead of learning how to properly activate them with 10kg on each side you're now at a 100kg back squat with bad knee tracking, or a weak postural chain

the other guy's arugment is "well if it can happen in SS it can happen in SL" but SL allows you to get the practice in, which is the very essence of a beginner program it's all about learning how to properly do them and if you want to be able to squat without injury you'll be better off taking it smart and slow

amazing, you scooted over the point if my last two posts. you are quite the mental gymnast.

all i am saying is that there are countless cases proving you dead wrong, myself included. SS works best (for squats at least), that's all there is to it. you cannot squat 405, your opinion does not count.

you aren't willing to discuss or listen so i'm not going to bother any more.

can't believe some people on this board unironically think that either SS or SL are good programs

I know right? With Blohino's ICF 5x5 out there, how can people still be debating shit like this?

>choosing between a white-trash neverbeen or a designated shitting program
COME HOME, AESTHETIC MAN

Uhm, no.
I started lifting at age 25 and had little trouble learning how to lift properly. Only thing I needed help with was power cleans. Before 25 I worked construction my whole life. I taught myself to squat bench and dead and shrugged off the bro science spewed at me. You under estimate the relationship people have with their bodies and the power of determination