I was told to bulk first then cut

I was told to bulk first then cut...
I've went from 155-170 at 5'10 in 2 months. Pretty sure I just look objectively worse. My lifts have gone up a decent amount.
Squat 115-160
Bench 75-110
OHP 55-85

Should I just abandon the bulk and cut?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12853565
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

These two pictures are nearly identical.

Idk I see a lot more back fat

Yes, please "cut" or in your case just lose weight. You obviously don't understand nutrition.

Tbh if you're a beginner you really don't even need to bulk. Eat at a small deficit with lots of protein and you'll lose weight and maintain what little muscle you have.

You need to lift more and stop posting pictures of yourself on the internet until you make progress.

dont fall for the bulking meme. i looked like you and i cut to 145, then """lean""" bulked to 163 for about 9 months. i still look like shit but i didnt get as fat as you.

i recommend cutting back to 160, maybe even 155, and then lean bulking to 170. eat at maintenance or maybe 250 calories above maintenance on lifting days.

Advice to fatties
Always cut first. No one gives a shit what you can lift outside of Veeky Forums or the gym. If you look good people will assume you are good.

Doesn't really answer my question but ok.

give me 5 minutes and i'll post my progress. it's horribly unimpressive but it gives you an idea of what you can expect with shitty genetics like me, since your body-type seems similar.

Why would you cut if you have no muscle?

So stick with the bulk then.

because he's a fatass right now? did you bulk from skinnyfat like he did? no?

You type like a tumblr faggot. Only one of those sentences was a question.

sure OP go ahead and cut lmao you'll look great!!!!!!

strawpoll.me/12853565

The point of bulking OP is that you are eating more because you are working out very hard and adding muscle.

There is no reason to just get fat while barely lifting weights. That is just getting fat. not bulking.

I'd like to think I'm working out very hard.

What are your lifts?

i work out with dumbbells because the only gym is planet fatness, which has no barbells. with that said:

60 lb standing db press 5x4 (doing drop sets to get to 4x6)
75 lb incline press 3x10
100 lb sldl (max my dbs go)
100 lb squat (max my dbs go)
95 lb incline row 4x6

plus i do some isolation exercises: curls, triceps extensions, lat raises, weighted crunches, leg raises, etc.

Just wanted to say you're a rare honest poster who doesn't humblebrag, and not trying to troll OP.

thanks. i mean realistically i could make better progress if i had access to barbells and if my genetics/hormones werent shit. i am, however, consistent with my training. ive missed maybe 2 weeks since i started lifting in september.

15 lbs weight gain in TWO MONTHS?! Jesus it's almost like people don't read the sticky. Even with noob gains and perfect routine/diet, don't expect to gain more than 2-3 lbs of muscle per month. After noob gains that goes down to 1-1.5. Best case here, you've gained 6 lbs of muscle and 9 lbs of fat. Based on those pics and your strength increase, its closer to 2 lbs of muscle and 13 lbs of fat. Go on a cut.

And to everyone else: BULK SLOWLY IDIOTS.

Was left your start? Who the fuck would tell you to bulk? You got memed on.

Please find a new gym user. You deserve better.

ill probably just stick with shitty dumbbells for another year, until i can rent a house with a garage and build my own home gym. power rack, barbell set, etc.

He just said the only gym available is planet fitness you retard

I thought some of that was water weight or some shit.

water weight fluctuates on a day to day basis. I was assuming OP was measuring his weight properly to account for that.

Your body doesn't just magically start carrying more water when you start lifting weights.

Post a full body pic

run a 10 week 500mg test cycle, eat at maintenance +200, and stay that size.

miring legs

>500mg test cycle
where does one get test

What's your height?

Instead of thinking that you do just work out hard lol

nigga if you already fat you don't have to bulk.
just don't cut till you get at least 4/3/2/1

Ayyyyyyy SS+GOMAD?

I used to be like 230 lbs 2 years ago, I guess legs are the only muscle I ever used lol

Which one is the before pic

>Yes, please "cut" or in your case just lose weight
Cutting = losing weight m8

left :(

>taking advice from this

man this is probably the exact thing that happens to 8/10 beginners on fit

Relevant question here. I'll be on my first bulk soon. Should I eat at a surplus only on lifting days, or always?

Nice try Lieutenant

Isn't SS just intended to give beginners an introductory level of strength, and not abs? If his lifts went up, what's the problem?

there is no problem. people just have unrealistic expectations. there are two threads right now of people doing SS, getting strength improvements, and upset that they don't look like Zyzz.

between 5'9" and 5'10"

>assuming i have the genetic potential to look significantly better than this

Don't know man, I think you look decent. You're not fat so you can now do a slow bulk to get more muscle.

>I was told to bulk first then cut...
Pretty sure that was good advice. Everyone here is full of shit. You weren't "fat", more so skinnyfat (You were a skinny out of shape male with a small gut). Cutting in that state would have been fucking pointless and made you look like a twig.

You did the right thing in eating more and working out, and you've gained weight which is definitely what you want to do to escape skinnyfat city, but you've packed on some fat along with the muscle you've gained. I say that is perfectly normal. You can cut all you want later and get your aesthetics, but right now you need to gain STRENGTH (Exactly what SS is supposed to do). Accept that you're going to get fat temporarily at an expense of gaining legitimate strength. No one here becomes Zyzz in 2 months; they're simply trolling you. Maybe slow down the bulk just a tad if you're worried (Eat over maintenance but just lower how much excess calories you consume).

Two last things though, I feel like your lifts should have went up more, and how is your deadlift progress?

I'm 30lbs lighter than you and I lift more weight and I'm a dyel noon. You should be able to get more weight on the bar lets be honest

Unfortunately my spin is fucked up so I can't really do dead lifts.

Jesus Christ, I've made similar progress going from 125 -> 135 lbs in 2 months.

Try harder mate

I always fail on my last rep so I don't think I can go any heavier

>Cutting in that state would have been fucking pointless and made you look like a twig.
What's wrong with that? Better go skelly and then have more leeway to put on muscle, than gaining a lot of weight and, while getting some muscle, also getting to be a fatass.

>can't do deadlifts
Man that blows. Not only is it one of the best exercises, it's my favorite. Can't you sub it with something else? Also, you haven't been doing SS correctly if you've just been doing squats/OHP/Bench 3 x a week.

>I was told to bulk first then cut...
Another one falls victim to the memes.

What you should have done was eat at maintenance until you began to seriously stall, and then started bulking.

>I've went from 155 at 5'10
Squat 115
Bench 75
OHP 55

Your lifts were (and are) so weak the stress you actually put on your musculature is minimal. You need work on your technique and form until you get to a point where your muscles actually need to grow in order to progress.

>Pretty sure I just look objectively worse.
Yes. All you did was get fatter.

Next time do some research of your own before you immediately begin drastically changing your lifestyle based on the comments of anonymous strangers on the internet. Well I hope you at least learned something here.

man you have really shitty genetics. sorry to say that but just being honest.

why is your knee caving inwards like a little girl?
maybe becoming a trap is more for your body type.

it's all good. i'll keep working and see where i get with another 1-2 years of "hard work," and then hop on a moderate dose of test.

You are not doing SS then you fucking retard

Never said I was doing SS.
Don't know where that came from.

why does he have really shitty genetics? they arent horrible imo.

Why would you be doing anything else?

Cuz I like to go 5x week

Do you just do squat, bench, and ohp?

Not true retard

no

You forgot the lifting part of bulking.

What's the difference then?

All beginners should just track macros, eat at maintenance and lift hard. Your lifts would have gone up that much easily without gaining so much weight.

>All beginners should just track macros
Everyone should desu

lol tracking macros, sure grandpa should I get the fosters tincture ointment out?

did you meet your daily protein goals?

which would be about 155-170g of protein

You look pretty great imho.

I usually eat about 300g of chicken and 12 eggs a day, is that enough?

this. tracking macros is literally autism

b8

What, is there something wrong with that lol

really? wtf

Just eat at maintenance for a few months and increase lifts as much as you possibly can

Bulking means nothing if you have to bulk 50 pounds of fat and then cut for 8 months to lose a lot of the muscle, especially for a beginner who is unexperienced with lifting, isn't maximizing their workouts, and has no clue how to manage short term bulks or cuts. it will just generally confuse them, make them cut too heavily after bulking, or just make them give up.

is bulking the most efficient way to gain muscle as a beginner? yes. is it the most effective? not really, unless they have proper guidance to help them through it.

this dude has put on almost no muscle and just a shit ton of fat. it's not that bulking is inherently bad for beginners, it's just difficult for the initial time frame of beginners to be really any use. that's part of why SS is so useful for beginners because it goes over a lot of what beginners need to know.

for beginner lifters, the best time to start that bulk is after they learn some motor control. if you cant flex your chest, stabilize using your lats, use hip drive, there's NO point in bulking. you are not getting nearly enough muscle and CNS stimulation to make bulking yield any results. the first step is learning how to actively control specific muscles. then a bulk is perfectly viable. to OP, i'd advise eating at maintenance in the short term and just lifting for a while to learn how to really actively control your muscle. i'd recommend isolation exercises if you want to speed that up. cable flies for chest, leg extension for quads, glute bridges, back extension, shrugs. then move onto compounds and go for a bulk.

ayy,lmao,haha Dude what's with all that fat?

If you want to be happy with yourself cut and then start lifting at a very small caloric surplus.

Don't ever bulk if you are already fat because you are going to hate yourself. You have the same body that I used to have when I started and my progress (if I can call it that) was slow and painful, I think, maybe in 1 year of constant lifting I actually stoped looking like a fat twink.

That being said, down the line you will have shit arms and small pecs like me, and your legs will get fucking humongous.

>fell for powerlifting meme

90% of powerlifters either look dyel or are fat

lower the weight, add more reps and sets, maximum contraction every rep for the whole rep

bulking is not necessary unless you are already very lean and well trained

just eat what you were eating before and make sure you get 100-200g brotein a day

you gained 15 lbs in 2 months so that's almost 2 lbs per week. did you even read on how to properly bulk? those that never lifted or did sports are advised to aim for 1 lbs per week at most. if you did any sport or have some muscle mass from before you should be aiming for 1 lbs per 2-3 months which is for intermediates.

you gained very little amount of muscle and a lot of fat. next time educate yourself. start cutting at 0.7-1% of your bw/week until you hit around 10-13% bf and you will keep getting stronger, building some mass and losing fat.

no reason to cut when you only weigh 170 lbs

nigga, you didn't need to bulk

at 5'10, 155 would be a good starting point for gaining muscle mass.

cut back to 155, and just work 2x as hard lifting weights