/SS/ - Starting Strength General

SS General thread.

Novice technique, advanced novice programming, SS carryover to intermediate routines, etc.

Go, shout it all out!

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2wsd3n/new_article_beginner_and_intermediate_lifters/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any program with block periodization > Greyskull LP > Starting Strength

Don't think rank novices can understand or are interested in block periodization since they don't even know what'd they like to do 3 months down the road.

Once you hit interm/advanced, sure why not.

>Don't think rank novices can understand
Oh yes, it's so difficult!
>do 3 weeks of 5x10, try to increase weight every workout
>do 3 weeks of 3x8, try to increase weight every workout
>do 3 weeks of 3x5, try to increase weight every workout

Would you care to elaborate since I'm not a rocket scientist I am incapable of understanding your gibberish.

block periodization is not needed for beginners at all. You aply block periodization becuase you need different kinds of stimulus to make your muscles grow.
Beginners can grow perfectly fine from 3x5-8, and if you dont feel thats enough then add a fourth set of 8-10 reps for more volume.

Why would you do block periodization when its not needed at all?

This is literally what Greg Nuckols suggests to novices
strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/

no wonder block periodization is introduced in practical programming not earlier than when the texas method starts to slow down/stall.

In the end the difference will be less than minimal though

I cant analyse the meta-analysis which this was based on. becuase it doesnt link to any of them, except the abstract.
WHen you compare workouts to each other and equate volume, frequency and intensity is that often there will be an unfavourable advantage. Ex, when you compare the volume of a bro split to a full body workout. What you end up with is often less volume on the full body workout, or less intensity then what youre suppose to have becuase the frequency is so high.

guys I have been doing SS for 4 months now

My legs have started getting thicc, even my friends noticed that, is it time to move to PPL?

yes

Shut the fuck up you dumb fag

I've lifted for a little over a year but I'm still dyel as fuck (6' 160lbs, had progress though because I started full auschwitz) should I do SS anyway and how do I not kill myself? I never free squatted in my life and my legs are weak af and Im afraid desu.

justdoit
don't do weights you can't handle
increase weight over time
i.e do SS
you'll be fine

have you been doing the accesories?

Which program to run after SS? I want a bodybuilding routine

thanks senpai. can you tell me how I should implement accessories? also is there a problem to start right away if I still haven't finished the book? I'm almost half way through squat chapter

the consensus seems to be PPL
I struggle to find PPL programs that don't look like fucking memes though

no I haven't, I feel dead tired after the 3 big lifts...

Arnold's golden six? What program do normies follow?

What makes greyskull better than SS with accessories?

Do the accesories, and don't be a pussy
Alternatively do the accesories on another day but that could be a bit detrimental to the main progress

I implement accessories after the basic workout. Pull ups, Chin ups, Dips to fail

>periodization
>beginner programs

i'd skip the finer details on form for the lifts right now, go and read Chapter 7 (Assistance Excercises) and beyond. Go back and perfect form once you got the program down.

Personally i did SS like this:
I don't do Power Cleans because i don't have a coach who can teach me form. I did rows instead. Skipping Power Cleans is not endorsed by rippletits, fyi.

Rotating A/B

A:
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift (1x5)
Dips

B:
Squat
OHP
Row (Pendlay)
Chins
Back Extensions

Last workout day of the week, add this:
Lying Tricep Extensions
Barbell Curls

everything 3x5 except deadlifts (1x5), and bodyweight shit + the bicep & tricep work (3x10)

Now i suspect i'll get shat on by people who know this better than me, take my advice with a carton of salt

thanks. also there's no deadlift platforms around here (S america) so idk what i'll do about that

Just deadlift on the floor? Or maybe that's frowned upon. My gym doesn't have a dedicated deadlift spot either, or squat cages for that matter, but we make do anyway an just deadlift where we can.

>Or maybe that's frowned upon
I think so? people here don't lift heavy and I think most won't like or understand someone banging a bar on the floor. I'm already self conscious of doing a full body routine as it is. well thanks for the help anyway dude

>I'm smarter than Greg Nuckols! Mom, tell them!!
->

>farts

AMAP sets

Lads, I was thinking, as part of my routine, to do the following

>10-15 squats holding a 10kg dumbell
>10-15 reps of 10kg dumbell in each hand

Repeat three times

Is that good

>In before the weight, I'm a small fag so please no bully

Sorry, also I'm going arm extension while lying down on bench with the weights

Chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms
X
X

Or

Chest and biceps
X
Back and triceps
X
Legs and shoulders
X
X

Literally 90% of normies

should I do SS until I get 1/2/3/4?

>I'm skinnyfat with manboobs, I can't wait to follow this expert advice and get strong and ripped!

>implying this manboobs better then other manboobs

I'm a recovering fatty with legs that are already big, should I look somewhere else for a beginner routine?

Mark Rippetoe best lifts: 611, 396, 633.
Greg Nuckols best lifts: 755, 475, 725.

how the FUCK are still people getting trolled into doing SS? this meme has been going on for at least 8 years now

SS is a meme is a meme

no
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2wsd3n/new_article_beginner_and_intermediate_lifters/

>reddit

>Veeky Forums

What's wrong with it?

I got your program right here, my man.

please respond

>what's wrong with reddit
you need to get out

no it's not.
it's time to switch only when LP on SS is no longer achievable.

get on SS and keep doing LP until you can no longer proceed. if your legs are so untrained, you'll see progress on squats and DLs/PCs for quite a while even if you're not a novice to lifting.

read the damn book first. btw, if you're only at SS month 4, you have no reason to do anything else except back extensions, chinups, and bar curls and dips at most.

if doing accessories makes you feel even more tired DONT DO THEM because they impair your recovery and that's the opposite of what we want on SS.

memes

>ITT people giving advice on SS without having done the program as it's meant to be.
>+ people listening to aforesaid "advice" from people who don't even do PCs.

you dont need platforms to do pulls from the floor.
that's just an excuse. same thing if you dont have bumper / rubber plates.

if any staff comes complaining to you that you cant do something - CHANGE GYM!

i think you posted in the wrong thread, pal.
your question is not about SS.

only if you can get there by LP.

no you shouldn't. The program will help you turn the fat of your legs into solid muscle that you will need to carry around your body and sustain all other exercises.

pls go

>reddit
pls go, again

Don't squat each gym session, especially if you're bulking. You don't wanna look like a trap.

>ITT people giving advice on SS without having done the program as it's meant to be.
what program should i be doing instead of SS if i cant do PC?

>

>>ITT people giving advice on SS without having done the program as it's meant to be.
>>+ people listening to aforesaid "advice" from people who don't even do PCs.
if program ruins by excluding one exercise (or including some curls) - this is shit

>The program will help you turn the fat of your legs into solid muscle that you will need to carry around your body and sustain all other exercises.
There's not much fat on my legs though. there is a bit, but it's largely muscle due to needing to shift my fat self around. I've lost a lot of weight already

>same thing if you dont have bumper / rubber plates
so you be saying I can do power cleans and oly lifts without bumper plates?
>if any staff comes complaining to you that you cant do something - CHANGE GYM!
>implying I have the luxury of having multiple cheap, spacious gyms
Im in s. america my man
>only if you can get there by LP.
how else would I get there?

first, why "can't" you do PCs?

YNDTP even if you're not eating enough, or changing the order of the exercises or the volume distribution etc. etc.

time to get on SS then.

of course you can. i do. my shit commercial gym doesnt' have bumper plates nor DL platforms.
I subscribed there before I learned of SS tho, so I can't just breach the contract.

so what restrictions does your gym have exactly?

you could get there by intermediate routines, IF you are unable to progress linearly on SS = if you're not a novice anymore. This depends on your commitment and demographic.
Since I fucked around before getting on SS, and am not that young anymore, I wasted most of my newbie gains and couldn't get to 1/2/3/4 while on SS because i exhausted my "novice progression."

>you are unable to progress linearly on SS = if you're not a novice anymore
My linear progress stopped at bench 30 kg, OHP 20 kg, squat 50 kg and dl 60 kg. Am I intermediate?

Have you tried microplates?

>first, why "can't" you do PCs?
i don't want to snap my shit up with incorrect form

oops

you wont snap anything if you have a developed human body and with an empty or lightly loaded barbell just to practice form.

i think you didnt even start the program and yet you ask about 1/2/3/4?

ppl sucks
do u/l split
lyle mcdonald generic bulk or aworkoutroutine.com muscle builder
if you want a bro program then schedule more u than l

>so you be saying I can do power cleans and oly lifts without bumper plates?

Yes, you just have to work within your limits. Both SS and Catalyst Athletics have videos on YouTube showing the technique for lowering the bar without dropping it, it's really easy to do.

With the non-round hex plates and similar, if you set the bar down on cleans, olys, and deadlifts, the bar will shift a little and you may have to reset your feet slightly between reps, but that isn't really a big deal for deads and you can always do the cleans as hang cleans.

eat more, it really matters. maybe go down with the weight (10%) and start again from there.

Is anyone here familiar with polands syndrom or someone missing a pectoralis major/minor?

I'm missing my right pec and also a bit of my hand and i dont want to fuck up my back etc so i would be very grateful if anyone got any tips at all.

I know about theonepecwonder but when i messaged him and asked what he did to get started he said "just lift" basically so im turning to you guys

bumping with question. My plates are 12,5 inch in diameter instead of 17 of american plates. Will I go to snap city deadlifting with them?

just put another plate as a base for either plate.

Should i start SS or SL? I did brosplits and i want to get stronger now.

...is this a joke?

Do SS until you stop progressing even after a deload or two. Maybe it'll get you there in that time, maybe it won't.