France, Italy, Japan all severely reduced their lingustic diversity in favor of creating one single identity...

France, Italy, Japan all severely reduced their lingustic diversity in favor of creating one single identity. Would an European Union have to do the same?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergonha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo-Dalmatian_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japonic_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect_card
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To create a pan-european culture then yes

The Switz didn't.

Nor did the Spanish.

Depends on how unified it is. A unitary European state (which won't happen for centuries at least) might do that, but a federal Europe wouldn't.

What would the common language of a unitary Europe even be?

Esperanto, English or French.

If we wanted the kind of unity that France has yes.
But as the only plans are for a federation or an union and not a single republic, no.

Arabic.

i 100% anticipated this response

Fuck no, euros gave up on conquering their home turf when they discovered Amerindian World as a large vacant spot for easy territory gains. With the exception of balks we will probably never see another european territorial skirmish again.

The current EU is a corrupt, undemocratic dictatorship. It has nothing to do with the European values and it's Peoples.

Excuzes-moi mon soypuliste, but we are going to make Europe great again

You're a petty slave to Merkel's policies. Nothing more.

Join us, become a neoliberal̇. Soros pays much more than Putin and his working conditions are heaven. There's free snacks and a snooker table.

I only gave it because it was expected of me.

Merkel lost some of her authority recently. If groko passes he has a chance, if it doesn't he will have a better one yet later.

How did they reduce their linguistic diversity?

>Hello fellow frenchmen, the EU is a thing now, so the following words and phrases are banned from our language.

sorry didn't read OP carefully enough and also I'm kind of mad right now

The EU does not strive towards a single cultural identity. It's not a nation.

I would estimate that somewhere around half of all Europeans under 40 understand and speak English at an intermediate level.

You'd be sorely mistaking then,
In both France and eastern europe as a whole you will not be able to get around with just english

Spent four weeks in Paris two years ago. They all fucking speak English. I couldn't even practice French because they all want to practice English. It's not the 1970's when my parents visited Paris.

>In the EU25, working knowledge of English as a foreign language is at 38%

And that's all ages. Young people would be more likely to speak it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergonha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo-Dalmatian_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japonic_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect_card

Esperanto is a failure it won't be a common language

You did good.
Latin, for extra LARP on top.

english duh

anti-brexit larpers would prefer french for obvious reasons