youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQJKMngrYo
youtube.com/watch?v=_Pzqq9sxKkY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>all that laughter

I've been subjected to this by at least three teachers and several "friends."
The cringe never lessens

>Historian teachers wears one of these and says he wrote his thesis on Labor Movements in the US

he was probably thinking of u lmao

I too am Oklahoman
But my teachers never did that

>Starts lecturing on how buddhism is so "spiritual" and close to "The Truth" compared to the West
I wanted to strangle him. I would have dropped then and there but it was already too late in the course.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I didn’t take history in university, because I’m not a retard, but I guess I was really lucky to have an awesome history teacher in high school. It’s surprising, cause she was a woman and very young (only five or six years older than we were). We focussed on famous revolutions, and she chose for us to study the American and Russian ones, and encouraged us to see them from both points of view, and she was pretty based cause she even read our personal letters Nicky sent to Willy before the war, so we could sympathise with him, and went into great detail of how Nicky and his family were murdered, so we hated the Soviets.

>gutless appeal to patriotism as a cover for preaching social democracy
What a typical succdem move.

Was she qt?

you have to be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums

>I didn’t take history in university, because I’m not a retard

??

I'm guessing they didn't show the followup scene
youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQJKMngrYo

I posted mine in another thread. Here:

>one side says diversity, the other freedom
>why can't we arrive between the two?
lmao who are these diversity memesters

I took a ton of history in university and it was a mistake.

Just study it independently while jerking off to all the men you've cucked in CK2.

She was okay. She’d let us call her by her first name and hang around her desk.

If you have to be told why studying history at university is a bad idea, you’re beyond hope.

>she was pretty based cause she even read our personal letters Nicky sent to Willy before the war, so we could sympathise with him, and went into great detail of how Nicky and his family were murdered, so we hated the Soviets.
Fucking baste. Love her already.

I guess you should tell that to all the historians who've wasted decades of their lives getting PhD's and researching shit

>English teacher
>A journalism major
>Had a poster in her room that promoted Afro-centric history

Three obvious signs that she was a fucking moron. Why is it that literature always end up attracting the brainlets who struggle to comprehend nuisance and complexity?

Because they think they're smart and deep.

Yeah that's one of factors that I suspected. They're a lot like junkies who think that they're smart and deep for tripping on a range of psychedelics. There's nothing worst than an idiot who thinks that they're intelligent.

My high school history teacher was a Jew who did an extremely good job of humanizing Hitler and the Nazis. To this day I wonder what his end game was.

Getting PhD's that aren't in STEM are not impressive, and anyone can "research shit" in their own time.

It's blatantly clear you've never taken upper division history courses. There's more to the undergraduate degree than simply "researching shit." By that logic, I could just check out books on physics, and voila, good as a degree.

I'd rather study something I love, than something I hate, just to drop out later.

first year his/econ major/minor, curious to the distinction between first year history courses and later history courses, pls explain for help in the future

inducing the goyim to spout pro hitler opinions and get kicked out of college

>close to "The Truth"
that's true though

That's what I thought but he seemed genuine and almost heartbroken when talking about Hitler. Like he lost a childhood friend.

>degrees in STEM are impressive

poor humanist

In general they go far more in depth, much more reading, discussion etc. You'll have to learn to discern the credibility of sources and how to gauge them, what historiography is and how that will effect your writing, and of course the correct citation format (which can be difficult for some people), learning to write better etc. these are just a few

Overall its not that hard if you're genuinely interested in the subject.

rad, thanks
in terms of format, im rocking chicago with foot/endnotes and the profs have been ok with that
historiography has been briefly touched on, we've been recently critiquing readings in my ancient history class, got my first taste of it when i asked my teacher what she thought of gibbon kek
from what im seeing at least in ancient history is that they want an analysis of a given primary source (usually some sort of artifact w/ text), make an argument and support it with secondary sources, is this basically the status quo for undergrad history?

why are the people on the history board so anti-intellectual?

Academia general discussion thread?

Russian history teacher at an undisclosed northeastern public university, AMA

This show was so fucking cringy. Aaron Sorkin is a hack
youtube.com/watch?v=_Pzqq9sxKkY

Yeah Chicago is whats used for history generally.
It really probably depends on the professor. In the ancient history courses I've taken, we usually choose a topic (whatever we want in the time frame the class covers) and use multiple primary sources (~3) and secondary (~7). The amount of source analysis depends on the professor and how controversial the topic you're tackling is. There inst really a set formula, different professors usually do things quite differently from each other in my experience.

How difficult is it to get a career in history at a university?

>discussing US strategic bombing campaigns of WWII
>says "B-52's" when referring to the model of aircraft attacking German industry

Other miscellaneous transgressions:
>downplays Nelson as a "footnote"
>says "economics isn't as important as politics"
>Portrays Crusades as grand scale war-crimes instead of the ragtag defenses against Saracen aggression they really were
>Insulted Charles II

On the bright side, my econ teacher was awesome.
>Displays NATO flag to "ward away commies"
>no textbook
>must read Sowell's "Basic Economics" and Hayek's "Road to Serfdom" as our textbooks
>gave punishment quizzes about inane trivia (Rap albums of the 1990's and his personal favorite movies) to AP class to lower our grades, for they were "too high"
>there exists a video of him and our A.P. Chemistry teacher doing proto-MMA fighting while severely drunk
>it's awesome
>Econ teacher was NCAA wrestler in college
>Chem teacher was Golden Gloves boxer
>both were in the same fraternity
>truly an excellent fight
>Chem teacher wins by K.O.

on the crusades, the people's crusade in the first crusade always gives me a giggle
>a bunch of peasants underwhelms the enemy so bad that the enemy basically lets the proper crusaders run rampant for the majority of their campaign

How does the second part make him a brainlet? Are you saying there has never been a Labor movement in the US?

not very at all, but pays for shit

Do you like it though? What exactly do you teach and what kinda stuff do you do?

>didn't take university history
>is a Nicky sympathizer
Checks out tbqh

Holy shit, what was this fucking show about??

>gave punishment quizzes about inane trivia (Rap albums of the 1990's and his personal favorite movies) to AP class to lower our grades, for they were "too high"

What a dick.

Years later, you realize it didn't matter anyway and it's funny as hell.

I'm reminded at the beginning of every class when he makes a lol drumpf amiright guys joke for all the brain dead liberals

To be fair he's a pretty funny man that does many whacky things worth laughing about

One time in high school, one of our classes had to sit through this presentation where two guys made the case for why the Jews rightfully deserve the land of Palestine. Their main argument was a series of Powerpoint slides showing which peoples occupied the land throughout history, arguing that the Jews were there first (even though their own slides showed that Egypt controlled it first).

None of the students bought it, and people seemed pretty confused about it. It's so fucking bizarre to think back on now.

Underage poster gtfo

LMAO I hear you brother

My English teacher in high school ignored English was a germanic language, true story.

LOL fucking libtards btfo!!! XD

Getting PhDs in most STEM isn't impressive either. Anyone can slave away streaking shit on petri dishes, performing Diels-Alder additions in the fume hood, counting fallen leaves in some random preserve, etc. It's only impressive if you're doing it at a top-tier college or actually pioneering new techniques/theories.

source: I'm finishing my biochemistry PhD and this shit is literally easier than undergrad

>Anyone can slave away streaking shit on petri dishes, performing Diels-Alder additions in the fume hood, counting fallen leaves in some random preserve, etc
>doing this easiest things in all fields
DELETE THIS

im afraid you are the braindead there

>doing this easiest things in all fields
Don't know what you're implying, I'm just mostly saying that most PhD students in STEM, at least today, are not independent visionaries. They are cheap labor to be guided and exploited by their advisors. Getting a PhD is about as much of a challenge as one wants it to be.

you're a faggot

Here's a tip that's going to help you out in high school: Literally everyone in that class hates you and the sooner you stop being an edgy faggot the more likely you are to make friends and not be a permaloser like you are heading to be now

Not him but

Stay mad, bitch

I was implying you are right

[spoiler] Was unironically triggered when I read Diels-Alder [/spoiler

Jews were vassals of the egyptians so yeah you could argue they were there first.

Of course, they rightfully deserve modern israel because they defeated the ar*bs armies severals times.

Buddhists GET OUT and stop corrupting out filial confucian values!

My high school teacher taught us that China still existed after great Han fell

China died in 220 AD

Old school unions were generally against female participation of labour as it would decrease the overall worth and position of the individual worker which they used to provide better wages, conditions and benefits.

This and its pretty fucking obvious he's an old commie, all his conjecture is pretty fucking grating. Plus he's an obnoxious bleeding heart, he read us a poem from one of his DACA recipient students who got wasted in a car crash, I asked around about it since apparently it was a pretty big deal locally and it turns out the she got plastered by a drunk illegal immigrant driver. Imagine getting smuggled into the country and leeching off a foreign government just to get killed by someone from your old country?

Are you forced to do tenure track or die, or can you just be a associate or assistant professor for life?

>Quotes statistics to seem more intellectual, without them actually adding anything to the argument
>Talks down to people
>Has no credentials to speak of
>Blatant appeal to nationalism
>"Modern times are the worst"
>"Wish we could turn back times to the good ol days"

Beware the pseudo intellectuals

The STEM elitism meme ceased to be relevant 12 years ago.

>We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons, we passed and struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy.

>Until we let the shitskins in.

What did Sorkin mean by this?

I'd vigorously agree with this. IN THIS ECONOMY, I'd recommend either doing something you're sincerely passionate about or seek financial solace in the stability of a trade.

t. Linguist

I committed to an English major for the sole purpose of acquiring a PhD. in Linguistics. I despised my fellow English undergrads. It's shocking how disparate in social climate each department is.

>mfw Sorkin was right about the news media and politics.
>mfw daydream about life under in a Sorkin utopia.
>mfw realise we are slowly moving away from this.
Why are some feels so heavy?

Reported Underage.

First of all, I'm 22 (though I do admittadly act like an autistic 13-year-old). This is a memory I have of high school.

Second of all, isn't it against the rules to post you're reporting someone?

The difference is that STEM (with the exception of mathematics) requires experiments, which require laboratories with suitable resources, something you're not likely to have on your own

You can construct your very own home lab if you're autistic enough.

What's funny is the reasons for everything he's saying is due to going from 90% face to 56% face and the examples of good countries he brings up are European ones.

In which you can do only the basic and intermediate problems, not to mention the cost

>WWII class
>The German army was invincible
>The Maginot line was worthless
>The Allies didn't expect Hitler's invasion through Belgium
>Operation Barbarossa almost succeeded in taking down the USSR
>Germany killed 11 million people in death camps in four years
>The Soviets played the biggest part in the defeat of the Nazis
>Hitler wanted to kill everyone who didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes
>Stalin was a good guy

Female history teachers are almost universally brainlets.

English teacher here. Get me her phone number so I can tell her to fuck off.

>The Soviets played the biggest part in the defeat of the Nazis
>Stalin was a good guy

these are true though

History remains my favorite subject (and why I'm majoring in it) because of how consistency stellar my high school history teacher were --unapologetic (though a little pruny) dear old men unafraid of contemporary cultural insensitivity.

I'm not talking about political correctness. I mean that female history teachers tend to be literally stupid, as in low IQ.

Stories? Examples? Data?

I believe the average female IQ remains applies, regardless of field. My female 11th grade algebra teacher remains the most brain-dead fuckup of a teacher I've ever had the displeasure of being exposed to.

^ Sorry about the grammar: phone posting.

A female teacher didn't believe me Yekaterinburg was a real city when we were learning about the Russian revolution.

It could be worse.

>be me, 12th grade
>studying Beowulf in AP Lit
>teacher has a brief PowerPoint on the history of Britain leading up to 1066 to give us a brief rundown of the Anglo-Saxon culture or some shit
>”The Celts were fierce warriors who literally ran into battle naked”
>shows a picture of Mel Gibson as William Wallace in Braveheart
>only source about Celtic society is from Caesar, only talks about how the Celts practiced cuckoldry and how they were complete savages
>explains that Rome invaded Britain in 50 BC to spread Christianity to the people there

I know this wasn’t even a history class but still, come on.

Holy shit, even the worst of the worst I've heard isn't as terrible as this.

>a history teacher thinks the city where the tsar got murdered isn't a real place while teaching about the Russian revolution
>it could be worse
Are you American?

>>only source about Celtic society is from Caesar, only talks about how the Celts practiced cuckoldry and how they were complete savages
>>explains that Rome invaded Britain in 50 BC to spread Christianity to the people there

This is why, as a Literature teacher, I always do in-depth study of the historical context whenever I teach anything. A couple of years ago we had a shitload of students confused about Animal Farm because one of our teachers couldn't tell the difference between Trotsky and Stalin. Another school nearby had a whole class who were taught that it was about Nazi Germany.

All degrees at a decent university require you to take at least a few history classes.

Is this a joke?