>ruled the philippines for 333 years
>no sizable spanish speaking population today
What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations-next-gen/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They were too stupid to learn Spanish.

EE UU, That happend

When the Americans came, the majority of Filipinos spoke Spanish. I mean when we got there, we were fight the "Amigos". America established schools and encouraged them to speak english. I mean there's still a fuck ton of Spanish names in the Philippines, and there's a few words left in Tagalog that comes from Spanish. Gusto for example means "I desire" in Tagalog, when it means "I Like" in Spanish.

What kind of face is that?

Their names and language has influences from Spanish. I studied with a Phillipine guy and his last name was Spanish. He taught me a few words and it sounded similar to Spanish.

>EE UU
That's funny. Most of us USians don't even know what that means.

thats because he is a spaniard
EE UU( Estados unidos for plurals you have to put it twice like in SS MM sus majestades)

>What kind of face is that?

if hes royalty its probably an inbred one.

>no sizable spanish speaking population today

they did seem to leave some genes behind even though they didnt leave much language.

(near the bottom of the page)
>genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations-next-gen/

>on average 5% southern european.

He is Carlos III of House of Borbon. King of Spain.

Because it would be easier to control an archipelago if the subjects don't have a unifying language.
*Pic related
They even publish a book which would helped Spanish missionaries spread Catholicism using the natives language

Can someone enlighten me about the strategical position of this archipelago during the colonial times? how important is it?
Cause all I know during ww2 japanese wants this strategic position for the conquest of South East Asia, so was the colonial empires viewed it the same?

The archipelago act as naval base for the Spanish to trade with the Chinese and protection against pirates and Portuguese(later against the dutch).

It's a gateway to China

>Because it would be easier to control an archipelago if the subjects don't have a unifying language.
Seems kinda counterintuitive. Wouldn't a more unified language make it easier to spead propaganda about your royal power and make it easy to make royal decrees official on the island?

*spread

Chavacano, a Spanish creole, has about 689,000 native speakers in the southern areas of the Philippines

so it's not totally gone

The priests refused to teach the natives Spanish so they didn't learn more liberal ideas.As the church was the real ruler of the island only the people in the cities spoke Spanish.

>language of the English court for over 300 years
>no sizable french speaking population today
What happened?

my ex-gf spoke chavacano, taught me a few words too

Because the game was totally different in the Philippines than in Latin America.

1) The goal was to set up shop to trade with the Chinks & other Asians. The land was a bonus really.
2) From the 1500s up until the Suez Canal opened, Spics can only send way too few soldiers to Flipdom. Even the pacific crossing was hard and expensive to transport soldiers around.
3) Related to #2, while being outnumbered wasn't a problem in the Americas, it quite was in the Philippines considering the locals, neighboring Asian people, and local pirates weren't strangers to steel and gunpowder.
4) Due to the above facts, Spanish rule therefore relied heavily on tremendous local support from local chiefs & princes.

From the 1500s up to the late 1600s, Spain played tribalnigger politics in the Philippines during the initial colonization. The Archipelago consisted of small kingdoms and semi-nomadic/agrarian tribes stuck in between, and were frequently in conflict. Usually the bigger, more organized states were Muslim. So Spain played protectionist politics by building fortified settlements and a church and offering weaker local chiefs and princes the option of living in these settlements under SPic protection. All they had to do was convert to Catholicism and swear allegiance to the King. They'd even get to keep their priviliges as Colonial Nobility (the Principalia). And so a lot of princes said yes until Spain wielded a big army of native Flips to actually consider conquest. It was a win/win situation for both parties: chiefs were still in power while Spain now had a power base and subject people.

Spanish Education for the longest time only involved these native nobles. Who then relayed whatever needs to be done to their people.

So Spic-speak didn't really catch on for most of Flipdom.

All Anglos speak French, they just don't know it

It is pretty silly that America did that, since the American administration relied so heavily on Filipino collaboration, very few Americans were there, and there was no plan to make it part of America proper. So why spend all the resources to teach people English?

This.

Spics barely ruled the place.

The main language spoken in the Philipines (Tagalog) is a creole language, which is to same a language which combines two separate languages. One of the two languages it combines is Spanish.

Anyone posting anything else is a brainlet.

Protestant Reformation happened

el goblino de espana

>Tagalog.
>Main language.
Also the Creole Language in Flipdom is Chavacano. Tagalog operates on its own grammar.

La luz extinguido

>no sizable french-speaking population today
>23% of the UK speaks French as it's a particularly prestigious language among the aristocracy
What did he mean by this?

America should just have sent the few spanish speakers they had to the phillipines.

Everyone here is a brainlet talking out of their ass.

Spanish was huge in Philippines until the US essentially forced English into the island by making it the language of education and of the media.

>Spain was huge in the Philippines.
>Popular literature of the plebs is in local languages.
mkay.

>using spic when referring to Spaniards
>saying nigger like it's something cool and edgy

Oh well, I wonder who could be hiding behind this post

And He was a damn good king and Spain's last shot at relevancy.

Estados Estados Unidos Unidos

>complaining about nigger & spic

We know who's behind this post