Tell me about the Swedish empire, Veeky Forums

tell me about the Swedish empire, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_(1700)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBcJZ3-cJKc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Caroleans are great.

It got started when finnish mercenaries enlisted and ended when they left the swedish crown armies.

Had an early national army
Was able to gain control of the weser and oder rivers in the 30 years war, a massive source of income
Was able to landlock russia from the baltic, also a big source of income
Gained control of estonia during the livonian war and then livonia some decades later from poland-lithuania
First foreign army to occupy warsaw
Occupied copenhagen by marching over the frozen ice between jylland and sjaelland
Defeated the polish hussars during the battle of klizsow, last time they were used
Ended up biting off a bit more than they could chew and a russo-saxon-polish-lithuanian-dano-norwegian coalition, with later help from prussia and hanover which was in a union with britain put an end to it
Had some pretty uniforms from the 1680s onwards

>empire

Meme "empire"

If this is true, how come sweden did not immediately become a great power as soon as finland was incorporated into the kingdom, around the 1150s? How come sweden kept losing wars while finland was still a part of the kingdom, such as 1743, 1757-1762, 1788-90 1808-1809? Hmm....
Maybe the true power of sweden was the troops from estonia and livonia?

They had a pretty good shot at becoming a major European power but they fucked up.

A sparsely populated and poor country like Sweden didn't really have a chance of maintaining an empire in the long run.

Swedish propaganda

Why is the little fin beaten and crying?

Where can I get more of these Swedish maymays?

incorporating a country into your kingdom =/= getting all the merceneries there to work for you

But Finns still served in the army. And Sweden used German and Scottish mercenaries anyways.

>Why is the little fin beaten
for being a f*nngoloid
>and crying?
cause he was beaten

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Top fucking kek, it was all so clear.

post more of these

The legend of the 'Lion from the North' is kinda insane.

>what is the Dutch Republic

Sweden used Germans and Scots during the thirty years war. The army under Charles XII were mosty made up of Swedes and Finns.

it's was all an elaborate ruse.

Sweden fought in a lot of wars so other foreign powers would think we were stronk, while instead the country was poor as fuck and not developed.

I worked very well.

>I worked very well.
You didn't work shit.

The Dutch were small but they werent poor, the low countries were some of the wealthiest parts of Europe

how come? colonies?

We had one of the best armies during that time. Caroleans were disciplined and fearless as fuck.

I know, but we were specifically talking about mercenaries.

That and industries IIRC.

"Empire"

That being said, it was unfailing in its charity to the people of the Suomi, drawing them up out of poverty and the mire of prehistory. No man under the crown was lesser than any other. Egalitarian in all things.

Didn't the Swedish Empire at one point pretty much btfo of the Russians, Poles, Danea and pretty much any nation close to them?

somehow yes, i don't know if it was of incompetence on the other side or if it was the swedes being led by a genious the likes that has never been seen

Copenhagen was never occupied, merely besieged, the rest of the country was though.

I believe most people used mercenaries during the 30 years war. It was under Charles X or XI that the Karoliner system was setup with the farms and the drilling and such, which worked pretty well I believe, I should be more read up on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_(1700)
It's one of our greatest fucking triumphs, our king was 18 years old an personally lead the army and kicked the shit out of them.

You might be right, I haven't read about it in a long time. But I distinctly remember reading that Karl X Gustav was invited to feast for several days in copenhagen by the danish king who attempted to befriend him.
I do know though that the second time Karl X Gustav attacked Denmark he failed to take copenhagen and the dutch then came to Denmarks rescue.

Finlan is NOT for bully

In Sweden we call it Stormaktstiden which means kinda Great Power period. Swedish empire in swedish would be like Svenska Imperiet and no one says that. So its you anglos who call us empire and not ourselves

Bullocks. The early Dutch Republic’s wealth almost soley came from the Baltic trade. This was their main source of revenue until the colonies were already well established.

How lucky the Finn was to be taken under the wing of so benevolent, and erudite a tutor as the Kingdom of Sweden!

>retarded
>terminal

No u

IIRC we had some novel new tactics that were hard to deal with, I might be bullshitting but I read somewhere that we were one of the first who adopted a tactic of getting really close to the enemy before firing so to counter-act the inaccuracy of the then-used weapons. Enemy shot inaccurate volley -> You marched closer while they reloaded, then you shot a more accurate volley and possibly closed the distance into melee with a dissarayed enemy.

Also, the cavalry charged in wedge formation and was trained to fire their pistols right before impact.

Now this is what I read somewhere, I don't know the veracity of it, or if other armies didn't also do this.

Might have been a meme. Sweden was the best Scandinavia had to offer. They did some neat stuff too.
I like to imagine Odin riding before a musket armed army of 7' blonde supermen all marching to a pipe, drum, and ancient swedish song about fighting Finns.
It's a land of ideals. I unironically love Sweden.
>I'm not actually Swedish tho
>le amerimutt

>the cavalry charged in wedge formation and was trained to fire their pistols right before impact.
Wasn't this a Napoleonic tactic?
I read some Napoleon historian who talked about French cavalry tactics where they would do everything just before hitting the enemy so as to unnerve them with their unity and discipline.

The Netherlands didn't really have much more luck than Sweden in maintaining its status or empire in the long run and they never had a comparable land empire in Europe to begin with. The Netherlands ended up bullied by the UK a bit like Sweden was bullied by Russia and both essentially lost their status around the 18th century and the revolutionary wars. Though the Netherlands did manage to hold on to Indonesia for a fairly long time, but then again Belgium had the Congo and that wasn't much of an empire.

>Also, the cavalry charged in wedge formation and was trained to fire their pistols right before impact.

The other way around, pistols were only used in pursuit, not in the charge.

The Dutch also had Suriname until 1975 and still has a couple of islands in the Caribbean. So theres still remnants of the Dutch empire to this day.

The swedish infantry made great use of the terror of a bayonett charge. They basically played chicken with the enemy line during a time when the odds were against whoever shot first.
The swedes didn't shoot their final load untill they saw the 'white in the enemies eyes'. At that range the salvo would be devastating and whoever were left standing would in a second or two find themselves on the wrong end of sharpened metal.

>ancient swedish song about fighting Finns.
Why sing about that when the danedevil have always been the permanent nemesis?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBcJZ3-cJKc

Ah the Antilles, always claiming to be strong and independent untill their money runs out and then proceed to scream reparations.

Retarded Amerimuttcuckold. Swedeshits were spreading their assholes and pussies to Finns and writing songs about that for thousands of years.

>Swedeshits were spreading their assholes and pussies to Finns and writing songs about that for thousands of years.
Take it easy Pekka

Rurik had Finnish heritage despite being from Sweden. How is such a thing even possible?

who do swedes generally look like monkey chinlets

what does snala fogde mean, I understand the rest and translator gives me nothing

>the average turtle lived longer than the swedish """""""empire"""""" did

Be mighty Sweden.
Have 9400 troops against 20,000.
Lose 1500 and kill 15,000.

Later cuck out and offer your country to muslim horde out of kindness.

With proper spelling it's "snälla" and means please
Google translates 'fogde' as bailiff and I don't know how accurate that is. But fogdar were basically local administrators, who would be responsible for things like tax collection and making sure people met certain requirements like weapon ownership.

thanks

someone should try making a pic related but with a finnish apu hugging gustavus adolphus

best one

But why?

I could try and make one when I have free time.

jag har en liten snopp.

it would be cute. also for the memes
'ata boy!

OH NO NO NO NONOONOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOO

*burns down 1/4th of your country and steals large parts of cultural heritage*

*blocks your path*

damn mercenaries, cant fight for shit.

he looks gay. not pedo gay, mind you, but actually gay

>priests
>not faggots

>btfo every Empire at the time
>suddenly fade into obscurity and then get on track for becoming shithole country
How?

this basically

kek

If Carolean tactics were so great, why did Swedish army become ineffectual mincing homosexuals by 1739 and completely irrelevant by 1757 war?

im guessing their tactics became obsolete and/or copied by their rivals

Because all their neighbors had had enough.

Doorknobs!
Fucking DOORKNOBS!!!

>pedo
>gay
same shit

so what the fuck was their problem?

The Caroleans and the strong monarchy died with Charles XII in 1718. Though Poltava in 1709 was really the climax of the Swedish empire, the veteran army was destroyed and it was pretty much just downhill from then on.

>this is what autism looks like.jpg

STORMAKSTIDEN?!

>those mountains
>Ireland

Their neighbors got fed up with their shit and organized a massive gangrape.
The Swedes realized they enjoyed it and so here we are.

lmao

In 1700 it had been 40 years since the last Swedish war of aggression, the only thing they got fed up with was peace.

>Great Northern War
*inhales*

>hills are now giga-mountains

>once again click an empire-that-once-was-thread
>stale atmosphere of neet-anime-chamber hits you in the face, again and again
>swear to oneself: no more! We need to clean the internet of this utter rubbish.
>We, as citizens of the internet, need to rise up and say: s
Hell no, i will not tell you anything about the swedish empire, instead, you need to get your stuff into working order, start to eat healthily, cut all excess sugars, and start a nofap. Now that’s a protip for starters.

vi går med sänkta huvuden...