Veeky Forums Book Thread: Byzantine Edition

Previous Thread: Veeky Forums Book Thread; come discuss what you're reading, ask for recommendations or recommend some books to your fellow anons, ask for opinions on some books you've been thinking of reading.

>Hundreds of book lists for research into numerous topics, with explanations of each recommendation
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2/1

>Compilation of Recommended Reading Charts from previous threads:
imgur.com/a/7YLKv

Mega libraries of free e-books suggested by kind anons:

>2,000 World History Books
mega.nz/#F!dlZlDbqL!TXG5bGvWufONkrQAL7b7jA

>Mysticism/Occult Books
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

>Introduction to Buddhism
mega.nz/#F!8yoXVK7A!TC52QPsBJcfjDyVVsy06wA

>Some 150 pdfs of history, religion, philosophy, and other stuff
mega.nz/#F!flYQGbzI!p1AFjtMuCLHQqocJqxV7rg

>45gigs worth of mostly Military History
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

>Philosophy Collection
mega.nz/#F!MQBRHBJA!L_on3h-XUrtbc719UaMygw

>Some drawing and art guides
mega.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA

>Warfare
mega.nz/#F!x4JD1RzD!4_nIFmI2sBdSYg14j7pIdA

>8GB of Books
mega.nz/#F!51Q0waSI!4Ut-eePQr9YSjHJJTQs7Ew

>Mesoamerica
mega.nz/#F!msA0Xb5Y!1t9OYAkkx0PUG8haYYiITw

>Moundbuilders/Mississippians of North America
mega.nz/#F!GwolDKTS!YeQjR65-xy1WCItk-A90dA

>E-book/Audio book sites:

librivox.org/
b-ok.org/
gutenberg.org/
archive.org/details/audio_bookspoetry
loyalbooks.com/
digitalbook.io/
etc.usf.edu/lit2go/
audible.com/
goodreads.com/
gen.lib.rus.ec/

>Other Recommended Reading Resources:
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Charts
reddit.com/r/history/wiki/recommendedlist
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Literature_by_origin

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/E46XVMzK
pastebin.com/hVu9uxY4
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199756384/obo-9780199756384-0037.xml?rskey=Z9UXHm&result=14&q=nationalism#firstMatch
pastebin.com/HpZGvgAM
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=5F1A3003389143D75D73138845164A48
sacred-texts.com/cla/proc/shp/index.htm
thelandmarkcaesar.com
libgen.io/search.php?req=troubles ireland&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=80625D2FB5AD5A13D318AD7780AC3B79
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
academia.edu/31610387/The_First_Psychonaut_Louis-Alphonse_Cahagnets_Experiments_with_Narcotics_2016_
wisdomlib.org/zoroastrianism/book/a-manual-of-khshnoom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>videogames
dropped

Whatchu fags reading right now?

Just started this, after taking a break from Treadgold’s work in the OP image. I finished the reign of Justinian in that eork, so I thought it’d be a good place to jump to another work to get the full effect before jumping ahead for another 1000 years

Whoops, forgot image

Reading now

which one do i get, Veeky Forums?

Treadgold IMO

Also which of these should I get?

none, just read wikipedia. you don't actually need to know any of that stuff

Bryce Ward Perkins is an essential reading of the fall of the empire, , but Adrian Goldsworthy is a fantastic writer.

Anyone have something about nations as a concept?

I've heard things about the "Westphalia Treaty" and stuff and would love to know more.

What like the theoretical aspects of what makes up a nation?

thanks OP

Something like that. Kind of like a "history of ideas" type thing, but for the concept of a nation.

these booklists will have what you need
nationalism (anthropology)
pastebin.com/E46XVMzK
nationalism (islamic studies)- intro sections have all the introductory works on the subject
pastebin.com/hVu9uxY4

there's also these ones which aren't on the pastebin unfortunately
nationalism- sociology
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199756384/obo-9780199756384-0037.xml?rskey=Z9UXHm&result=14&q=nationalism#firstMatch
international rel

I'm not really looking for nationalism, but the concept of the nation-state.

aren't they related though? just ctrl f "state" to see if you can find anything. i've also nabbed this article just now and there's a section on "nation-state"

pastebin.com/HpZGvgAM

Nationalism is more political stuff. Yeah, there's a connection to be made, but nationalism is the devotion to a nation than how a nation is and has come to be defined.

That's literally the same thing.

history has shown those are mutually reinforcing if not inseparable from each other. a nation comes to coalesce from shared experience and the political class harnasses these forces toward state building and strengthening nationalism through state control. this is clear from benedict anderson's work on nationlism that is one of the most famous in the field

Lost to the West is a good introductory work, but it's very brief and I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for a nice general overview to help you narrow down where you'd want to look deeper into.

Haven't read any of those, but if Heather's Empires and Barbarians is any indication, that last book should be pretty good.

that said i don't recommend anderson as it's sort of obtuse and has a very simple point put in a convoluted and fragmented manner. his is a foundational work, but i think there's probably better primers on nationalism and nation states out there that came after him

hmmm, fair enough

What are some good short (200-300 page) history books that aren't complete fluff? Pic related is a good example of what I'm talking about.

My reading list is filled with 800+ page tomes, and I need a change of pace.

you mean said book is fluff?

I would also recommend "The Night Battles" by Ginzburg as well.

No, it's a great book.
I should have phrased that better.

I'll check it out, thanks.

The Origins of Political Order
Imagined Communities

This is excellent and very concise. It focuses on England in particular.

>total war games
>guide to eastern roman empire
Veeky Forums, wtf are you doing????

bump

Would you guys recommend this? For some reason the ebook is a lot more expensive than just buying the hardcover but prefer to use my kindle these days.

can we please stop spitting on the Ancient Greeks by combining them with b*zantines

The series has gotten good press here

Whats the best biography about George Washington?

Ron chernov i guess its the only one ive read

>For some reason the ebook is a lot more expensive
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=5F1A3003389143D75D73138845164A48

rec me whatever you read recently, as long as it isn't dry

What’s a good book on the Persians?

Nevada by Imogen Binnie

Is this book any good? I want a book that covers the revolution all the way to the end of the civil war, but I don’t what books are good or not.

fitzpatrick or pipes are supposed to be ok

>Byzantine Edition
>ctrl+f "Procopius"
>0 results
For shame...
sacred-texts.com/cla/proc/shp/index.htm

>that part about Theodora being a huge whore

I saw someone link to a site a while back that, iirc, had tons of online humanities courses and texts and stuff. But I can't remember what it was called.

It wasn't one of the for-profit sites.

Anyone have any idea?

thanks man

Does anyone have a unbiased look at Putin?

read this a couple weeks ago and thought it was a decent read.
Was he overly critical of the church or was it really as bad as he said?

john green and dan carlin

Are all editions of the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers the same?

Given pic related, can you blame me for being weary of editing?

how about this?
Storing, Herbert, ed. The Complete Anti-Federalist. 7 vols. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1981.
>Most comprehensive collection of Anti-Federalist writings and speeches in print.

Also the personal paper collections of Madison and Alexander might have complete copies of the Federalist papers

Madison, James, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay. The Federalist Papers. Edited by Isaac Kramnick. New York: Penguin, 1987.
>One of many collections of the Federalist, this includes an excellent introductory essay by Isaac Kramnick. First published in 1788.
also dis?

>Medieval 2
>No mention of the Stainless Steel 6.4 mod
Shame

Is pic related any good?

no, it was more of a searchable database

haven't read it but it's supposed to be well written and presented, but a lot of its ideas have been challenged by a century and a half of historiography. Still read today for its insights and its status as the founding text of renaissance studies.

What would be a good book to read concerning "The Troubles"?

What are some good books regarding the Gallic wars? I've read Commentari de bello Gallico, but I'd like something a little less subjective

You mean a book ON the Gallic Wars to get a good understanding of the writing? Or a book ABOUT the Gallic wars? In the former check out thelandmarkcaesar.com

For the latter, the biography on Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy is an excellent survey written by a military historian with plenty of analysis of the Gallic Wara

Like the actual troubles? I don't know, but the guy who helped negotiate an end to it put out a pretty good book

some books here you can download for free
libgen.io/search.php?req=troubles ireland&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def

Yes.Those Troubles.
Thanks, familam.

how is it?

very good commentary series on the Orthodox Jewish perspective of the Hebrew Bible

Anyone has a copy of this? Please help!

what books can I read about on turkic tengriism and its practices/theology and does anyone have pdfs for them?

literally took two seconds in libgen
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=80625D2FB5AD5A13D318AD7780AC3B79

The reading lists in imgur are too low quality to read what do?

which ones do you want to look at

The great awakening one

which one is that? you mean the mormon one?

What are some good books for learning about Reagan's domestic policy? Interested in the tax cuts and that sort but any other thing that isn't foreign policy is fine too.

I enjoyed it. Quick and easy read. Doesn't go too much into detail, but covers important parts. Let's you know how things become Islamic jurisprudence, that was interesting.

I couldn't help myself

>>Mysticism/Occult Books
>mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
Update probably coming soonish.

You keep posting this, and every single time I notice that you typo'd "World".

the f*Scist one

Is there any difference between "Napoleon: A Life" and "Napoleon the Great," both by Andrew Roberts?

this one? which book can't you see?

Jesus Christ, the Nazis can't even make a god damned book list without putting infowars-esque flowchart bullshit into it.

>infowars-esque
They read books? And make flow charts?

academia.edu/31610387/The_First_Psychonaut_Louis-Alphonse_Cahagnets_Experiments_with_Narcotics_2016_

cheers I couldn't see any before

wisdomlib.org/zoroastrianism/book/a-manual-of-khshnoom

Mixed up with some East Euro style new age-y stuff but otherwise a Parsi form of occultism and the commentary on the Gathas, etc., seem to MOSTLY check out.

No

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally buying an earlier edition.

>Update probably coming soonish.

You guys know of any good introductions to Muslim Iberia?

bump

Does anyone have any resources about Hellenistic Bactria? I have some I can post if anyone else is particularly interesting but I was wondering if any lads had anything to recommend.

I remember a couple months ago somebody talking about a book on here. I can't remember the name or the author, but it was about the psychology of people who fought in close quarters combat, and especially in Phalanx and Maniple formations, as in ancient Greece and Rome. Does anybody remember the name of this book?