7. Addicted to Bondage

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveofourown.org/works/5205554
youtube.com/watch?v=AlZMZke5bhM
youtube.com/watch?v=f3KpekANjtM
youtube.com/watch?v=Rzjxy1rrkng
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Prophets of Doom was really fun.

wow celtic holocaust isnt even on there?

>no mongols
>no prophets of doom
Wrong. This is wrong. How do I delet this?

Fuck, I forgot that one. Top 5 for sure.

Blueprint is the best because of how expansive it is, being like 25 hours long.

So speaking of Ghosts of the Ostfront, there's one section he tells that interested me a lot but I can't find any source on it. It's the one about letting a whole unit of "slanteyes" drown in the river rather than disagree with superior orders.

archiveofourown.org/works/5205554
Literally google searching "letting a whole unit of "slanteyes" drown in the river " found it for me

Prophets of doom was probably my favorite, just because its about something I had no idea even happened.

The Zwickau prophets used to be a lot more famous than they are now.

Can we all agree King of Kings was a mess?

Honestly I had no idea where he was going with the story until at the end he brought up Alexander.

>now imagine him as Darth Vader...

I know people rag on that a lot but he's just doing it because it's a character in the common consciousness and thus easy to understand what he's going for.

In fairness, when he said the Belgian fort system with the cannons that would come out of the ground, fire, and go back down is "like something out of star wars" is an apt comparison since Lucas used war footage as influence for his battles.

What did you guys think of Thor's Angels?

+1

Are you kidding me?

Even Dan admitted it was a pissweak episode that didnt come together well.

Thors Angels shits all over it

>Carlin
I didn't realize what an absolute horrific philistine he was until i saw this bit on Rogan

youtube.com/watch?v=AlZMZke5bhM

ETERNAL ALL TIME GOAT
> Death Throes of the Republic Episode 6

Fantastic
> Blueprint
> Prophets of Doom

Good
> Ghosts of the Ostfront
> Wrath of the Khans
> Destroyer of Worlds

Meh
> Punic Nightmares
> Rest of Death Throes
> Celtic Holocaust

Shit
> King of Kings
> Painfotainment

I actually enjoyed it because it's something I've never read much about. It's no Armageddon though.

1. Ghosts of the Ostfront
2. Blueprint for Armageddon
3. Punic Nightmares
4. Death Throes of the Republic
5. Prophet of Doom
6. Destroyer of Worlds
7. Wrath of the Khans
I don’t really rank his Blitz episodes but they’re mostly hot or miss. For one his Red Scare one was really good but his Logical Insanity one was tedious.

destroyer of worlds had me shook though

Listen man any podcast where a man says, "Woe to the vanquished," upon their enemy is a kickass episode

>Painfotainment
Aw I was just about to listen to it. What makes it so bad?

Prophets of Doom
King of Kings
Destroyer of Worlds

I've only listened to parts of it, but the topic pretty much precludes narrative structure

He had some really interesting examples of variou torture methods and executions in there, but he made the same point over and over again - that humans probably haven't changed so much in the post-Enlightenment world that they wouldn't go and watch a public execution in modern times.

No narrative, wasn’t really history
Probably should’ve been on Common Sense or some new philosophical show

My biggest regret is that Ghosts came before he had 18 hour long shows. I listened to it again recently and it's so good but so short. I mean, it goes Stalingrad to Berlin in the last episode. God knows if Dan were to do it today, he'd take like 3 episodes to span that. I mean he glossed over Seelow Heights with one sentence and went to Berlin.

IIRC it was in this book when I read it. I may be mixing it up with Ivan's War though. I do know that his quote of a Partisan's diary is from this book, but Dan didn't directly cite it after the quote during the podcast, he just mentioned using it as a source.

What are the best Dan Carlin-isms?

>and agiiin...

Boxing analogies

Anyone got a source for his claim that the Soviets had taken Germans, put them down next to each other and spray them with water as to build an ice road?

Well Common Sense is a political show about current events, doesn't belong there.

No but considering what Russia had gone through at that point, I wouldn't put it past them

When he referenced Exedor from Mork and Mindy I nearly shit myself laughing.

I find myself randomly making shit up in Dan Carlin's voice all the time.

"Now imagine someone knocks down your door and rapes your wiiife ... then dashes your daughter's braaaaains ALL OVER THE RUG!"

Fuck I just started listening to his stuff and I was really fucking turned off by all his pop culture references.

>Imagine the Spartans as an army of Clint Eastwoods playing Batman

Fucking what.

He doesn't do it that often. Maybe once every couple of hours.

I would put Ghosts of the Ostfront second to Blueprint for Armageddon. Maybe I"m just more interested in modern history.

Solid b8

Any opinions on the newest one? It didn't grab me that much, but maybe that's because it's a subject that's kind of discussed to death in law school already

It started really good but then tapered off as the episodes went on

i couldn't even finish I found it so boring. "Woah man how can humans do this to eachother" doesn't make a good 4 hours podcast.

I wish he'd just stick to narratives. I'd love a 30 years war or a Spanish conquest of the New World series

To be fair, our historical sources are a mess to begin with. It's hard to expect a history on that subject to not be a complete mess on general standard.

I sort of agree. The whole "lunch time" at coliseums usually being "execution time" was an interesting tidbit, but over all it I did find it mostly boring and without much new information.

I'd like series or episodes about the early American wars up to the Civil War. His episode on the Spanish-American one was goat.

I feel like he'll never do the Civil War because what can he say about it that Ken Burns hasn't?

Plus the Civil War is insufferably boring.

>Ken Burns
Thank you for the implied recommendation user, I will check this out now

Stop listening to pop historians

youtube.com/watch?v=f3KpekANjtM
Wrath of Kangs will always be my favorite
Has he ever had one where he talks about a Chinese dynasty, or warring states period?

I'd love more episodes like this. Times when crazy people found themselves in power and fucked everyone's shit up
Just look up this guy and tell me he wouldn't make a good episode

What else should I listen to when I work out?

Military anthems
youtube.com/watch?v=Rzjxy1rrkng

"Painfotainment" could have been a 60-min blitz. Very repetitive.

Seconded, probably my favourite one to listen to again and again. I think Dan said it was one of the episodes hes most ashamed of, for some reason.

[spoiler]Raaaaaape[/spoiler]

I work out often, though. There's nowhere near enough material. I'll stick to podcasts. Thanks family senpai family.

>I wish he'd just stick to narratives. I'd love a 30 years war or a Spanish conquest of the New World series

I vote for samurai/shogun era Japan

"i wish i could be a fly on the wall"

Did you not know about Ken Burns? He is THE guy when it comes to documentaries on the Civil War, baseball, jazz, and now the Vietnam War. The man does an insane amount of research which is why his stuff takes so long to make. The Vietnam series took him a decade to make.

He should do the entire Cold War.

I don't even like baseball and think it's a boring sport but the Burns documentary was fucking fascinating.

>”I always try to remind myself”

END QUOTE