Why do people disregard philosophy?

Why is philosophy such a hard sell to average people when it's not only the most important academic work humanity can do, but also the most accessible and universal?

because they are probably american and americans are awful when it comes to supporting these kinds of topics.

This comment is painfully ironic

>Why is philosophy such a hard sell to average people
Because it's not for average people.

> it's not only the most important academic work humanity can do
Completely unbiased statement

>but also the most accessible and universal
No and no.

Why would your average Amazon employee, after a long work day of moving packages, want to come home and read the writings of ancient greeks when he could just turn on the TV and watch shows designed to make him happy?

He wouldn't and that is why he doesn't.

Purposely dumbing down the populace. We need workers not thinkers.

Because it is both time consuming and unproductive. Why should anyone beside comfy elites looking for a hobby busy themselves with it?

>the average person is American
big if true

They think they got life all figured out.

Honestly I'm on the spectrum, life doesn't come easily to me, I lack common sense, and philosophy helps me understand and cope. If I wasn't an autist I'm probably be just as dismissive of philosophy as everyone else.

>Why would your average Amazon employee, after a long work day of moving packages, want to come home and read the writings of ancient greeks when he could just turn on the TV and watch shows designed to make him happy?
Is such life objectively better than trying to use one's brain in pursuit of knowledge?

It's not seen as a worthy pursuit because it doesn't make a great deal of money, coupled with a now common place anti-intellectualism borne of either right-liberal academic distrust (cultural Marxists attempting to destroy western civilisation) or left-liberal idpol (old white men making eurocentric judgements about the world).

Knowledge is not happiness. We just want to cheer up and watch Tv. Who cares about knowledge? Is philosophy really knowledge anyway ?

I wasn't referring just to philosophy. Ignorance isn't and shouldn't be a preferred form of existence.

Because they arent curious or interested in learning, otherwise they would already know about philosophy.

That's the paradox. You don't want or really need knowledge unless you already have some, which in turn makes you seek more over time.

m-mommy

None of it matters.

The consciousness is just a result of chemical reactions and correlation between matter in the brain, therefore death is the absolute end of existence. A sumerian child who died of disease, an ordinary citizen from middle-age Europe who accomplished absolutely nothing noteworthy in life, Da Vinci and Napoleon are all equally nonexistent now.

Incorrect, all of them live on through their actions during life, even if they are not known to us. People like Napoleon are people who survive their death by their actions in life and his personal beliefs that spurred him to take those actions. They live on in books, poems, songs, art, and philosophy. Philosophy is a way of creating a moral framework for understanding the world that isn't simply based on cultural or religious impulse, and a framework through which to understand the world. A man on Earth without a grasp on philosophy is like a man stumbling in the dark.

>Is such life objectively better than trying to use one's brain in pursuit of knowledge?
The answer to that question does not matter.

A man in the desert dying of thrust would trade all the knowledge in the world for a bottle of water, because in that moment he needs water, not knowledge.

Because the contact most people have with philosophy is modern Academic philosophy which is kind of useless.

Reading Greek philosophy would probably make him a happier person than watching television.

Philosophy is an outdated method of attempting to understand the world that has long since been replaced with the scientific method.
Modern philosophy engages in no activity other than self-perpetuation and all modern philosophers merely concern themselves with but a single question:
"How do I justify philosophy"

>why is it difficult for people to be interested in something anybody with an IQ over 60 is capable of and can do in spare time

>being this unexamined
ISHYGDDT

Because continental """philosophy""" has ruined the image of philisophy, even though it's a minority among professional philosophers

Science and philosophy are not in competition or alternative solutions to the same problem. Science is a process for predicting future states of the observed world, philosophy is for making all human knowledge fundamentally coherent, of which scientific knowledge is but one part.

>Is such life objectively better than trying to use one's brain in pursuit of knowledge?

That shit doesn't put food on the table

Not everyone is a lonely virgin that needs meaning in their life.

What does philosophy do for a coal miner? It doesn't make them more money, it doesn't make their job easier or less dangerous.

Neither does religion, yet that would be considered valuable