You will never live in a time/place where your literacy makes you special

>You will never live in a time/place where your literacy makes you special

Can you imagine being able to make a living for yourself just by reading and writing simple shit for people?

Do you have any idea how much influence you can get in a company by being able to write down the contents of a meeting?

Most people treat reading and writing with just as much contempt in the business world as they do in public school

God, I hate modernity.

I'm ridiculously eloquent compared to normies but I have no other special skills. Back in the day I'd be a fucking master administrator or royal advisor. As things are I'll be lucky to teach mouth-breathing community college students.

Don't let anyone tell you American culture values literacy. It cares about literacy only so far as it allows people to participate in the economy and buy brand-name garbage made by underpaid Chinese laborers.

>no other special skills

Youd be a copyist at best. Ministers and advisers had leadership, administrative, and mathematical skills.

do you all think you would be the man who knows how to read and write back in those times?

This

Come on we'd mostly be toothless peasants

My father was a high ranking officer in the military.

The sons of dukes were literate.

A large portion of modern people are functionally illiterate. There are literally millions of Americans who can't write their own language properly or who can't find United States on map, let alone other countries.

>Functionally illiterate

Choosing to not read is not the same as being unable to read.

there are people who fail to comprehend texts, despite having elemantary school finished

What incentive are they given to succeed in such tests?

Programming.

Why don't you become a lawyer or a journalist or a lobbyist or a politician?

I'm not jewish.

>lawyer
No connections
>politician
No connections
>journalist
No connections
>lobbyist
No connections
It’s like rich people don’t realize their lives wouldn’t be what they are without the connections but I guess that’s typical of a culture that refuses to acknowledge the nurture side of the nature vs nurture debate

>Needing connections to be a journalist

American?

>TFW have really nice handwriting
>everyone always comments on it
>"user, you have really nice handwriting. Did you go to catholic school?"
>"Nope, just practice"
>"Neat handwriting user. My brother has autism and he writes a lot like you."
>"T-thanks..."

They know.

But anyway, I wish I could go back in time when calligraphy was a more valuable skill.

why should I hire you when I can hire Ranjeev or ask my 8 year old son to code it

Wait, do people outside Veeky Forums really use the term autism so colloquially? Autism is a serious neural disorder, not a joke.

No, but my boss, who commented on my handwriting, actually does have a brother with autism.

It makes me wonder how many symptoms of mine she probably recognizes.

Because of autistic posts like yours

>He thinks you dont need connections to get a journalist job
Lel look at this muh meritocracy retard.

tfw I flunked out of design school

learn to code

There is nothing special about coding.

This kinda. Copyist notary village clerk estste manager/ bailiff all sound like comfy jobs, especially inder patronage of some stupid or idle nobleman. I guess being in early modern bureaucracy would suck though. Parish priests and such were also very poorly paid but there were probably some well endowed parishes it jist varied on your regions and connections. Justice of peace in england sounds like a lot of work as a gentry but the sense of hierarchu and duty from such a would make it rewarding and comfy

Just move to Venice, the early modern era was its golden age and the literati were its lifeblood.

Calligraphy still is a valuable skill. If you mean actual calligraphy and not just neat handwriting.

most people dont have the intelligence for it

>intelligence

Training, you mean.

Just because I don’t know Russian doesn’t mean I’m not intelligent enough for it, simply that I haven’t been trained in it.

Coding is much more craft than art, much like cobbling.

Most people don't have the intelligence for rocket surgery, doesn't make it special.

I teach English to preschoolers in Japan, that's like 90% of my job.

>millions of Americans
>of Americans
Quite recently imported ones maybe

How fluent are you in nip?

I'm a half, so conversationally. Hence the preschoolers.

You would be born a serf and you would die a serf.

My ancestors lived in a country where serfdom wasn't a thing.