Janissaries

How could janissaries become the most powerful elite in Turkey?

They were skilled fighters but most were recruited in Eastern Europe and thus not native to the Anatolian peninsula.
Why did people accept their political influence and where did they derive their legitimacy from?

*blocks your path*

When you let a caste of people sit on a huge pile of guns they tend to acquire some power.
See the praetorians in Rome.

i've heard that for a century after the fall of Constaninople most vizirs were Janissaries
what the fuck it's a bunch of slaves i don't get it

They were whites from the balkan and the caucasus, no surprise they dominated the mongrel t*rks

the backbone of the ottoman army, all time standing and payed, they will have some say who and how they are lead

>ITT: Ass-pulling
They weren't.

At least: they weren't alone.

The struggle for power in court amongst the military was largely due to how the Ottoman Military was organized. You have the armies of the subject nations and feudal sipahis. Then you have the personal standing army of the Emperor, the Qapikulu (literally: Door Slaves.)

Political rivalry in the Qapikulu was split between Janissaries and the Qapikulu Sipahi, 6 divisions of the household cavalry.

If anything the most powerful elite within the Ottoman military was the first of the 6 Housheold Cavalry Divisions, the Silahdar. The "bodyguard" of the Ottoman ruler which contained all the important commanders of the Empire, including the overall commander of the Janissaries and the Admiral of the Fleet.

>loses
>dies
>country becomes muslim
Truly the biggest meme general there is

>Caucaus
>white

They were the most ferocious fighters in all of Europe and the Middle East until around 1700~ when they started to recruit muslim Turks who just used it as a form of nobility. They almost solely recruited from Serbia, Greece, and Bulgaria which was intended because they wanted christian men who would be castrated and constantly drilled which made them better disciplined than the rest of the Ottoman military. As a result of being so powerful on the battlefield, they were given heavy rewards to prevent a revolt or defection. These rewards and the growing corruption of the Ottoman Empire led the position to be available for muslims which made the strength degrade and thus the influence until they were disbanded.

>castrated
So they literally had no balls?

It was so that there would be no inheritence crises as well as giving them a sort of rage like their constant punishment did

>most were recruited in Eastern Europe
What the fuck?
They ware kidnapped from all over Europe as little babies, circumcised, sometimes in front of crying christian parents, and raised as fanatical muslims who only know war.
I used to read how tatars would kidnap countless women and children - while most slaves ware forced to walk on foot & many died on the way, they took special care to make sure the babies survived - they would carry them in sacks made from pillows on their horses, etc.
Fucking muslims....

>t.Polak

"slaves" has different meanings and different social and economic purposes throughout history. they weren't slaves anywhere related to paradigm of slavery in the americas utilized by europeans

Wait OP did you just say that Turks are native to Anatolia?

Was there a turk only allowed rule or something

You can't tell me with a straight face that this man isn't white.

I can now

You just literally described every meme Balkan folk heroes during the ottoman conquest, they somehow always killed gorillions of turks and won every battle in their country chronicle but in the end their country still ended up getting dominated by the turks somehow lmao

>t.Polak
Figured as much.

My history books in school warent yet castrated by PC cunts. Islam must be destroyed.

>Muslim
He's basically the opposite of a honorary white.