Were there any English Templars?

Were there any English Templars?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Knights_Templar#England
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbert_de_Pairaud
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_I_of_England
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

England is an independent branch of Christianity, user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Knights_Templar#England

Yes, lots.

Not during the times of the Crusades, user. The CofE didn't split from the RC until the Reformation.

Probably quite a few, although most were likely French

Holy fucking shit, they all have French names
Wtf, weren't there ANY ethnic Anglo-Saxon Templars at all?

Well first of all we are looking at lists of leaders not complete lists of Knights Templar and yes, obviously the English nobility at this point were primarily derived from Normans.

Englishmen were much more active in the Knights Hospitaller

Well it's hard to tell as many Anglo-Saxons adopted Norman names for prestige.
Although it's hard to devate ethnicity, but nationally there were quite a few English templars

>why did the norman and anglo-norman aristocracy have norman names
Really makes one ponder.

Not according to OP pic
I see Italians, Portuguese, Spaniards....but no Anglos

That's a list of grand masters

That's a list of Grand Masters, not a list of total members.

Well, it seems that they weren't even Normans or born in England

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbert_de_Pairaud

Just pure Frenchmen born in France sent across the Channel to rule over the "English" branch of the Templars

But surely if there were a lot of Anglos in the order, some of them would've become Grand Master at some point, right?

You've posted the bio of one, not all of them, besides which you are being illogical, if there was no English Templars there wouldn't be a branch in England to lead.

>if there was no English Templars there wouldn't be a branch in England to lead.

It looks more like they wanted to have outposts everywhere, kinda like the US military

The fact they sent Frenchmen to lead their English bases seems to imply they didn't really want anything to do with the locals tho

Not necessarily, there were Templars from all over Europe. I don't see any Hungarians or Italians etc either, in fact there is only a couple of Spanish.Clearly the top leadership was primarily French but that is not what OP asked.

They weren't all French.

That's silly, the Templars were crusaders, there would be no point establishing "an outpost" in England.

They were bankers too
They established outposts in England, Spain and Germany so that they couldn't be destroyed easily

But they were still too centralized, so when their main base in France was destroyed, the order collapsed

Not really, mostly a French thing. Mos crusaders were French because the French are pious and brave whereas the English are heretical and cowardly ;)

Apparently England was the only country where the Templars didn't suffer harsh penalties as they did in Europe.
King Edward refused to believe the allegations against them and some of the Templars in Europe fled to England for safety

But the Anglos had crusaders too
Like Richard Lionheart

Holy shit, and they must have started the Freemasons

>but the English had French nobility too!
Ftfy

This will not end well

I prefer to take a neutral point of view and see him as an Englishman of French extraction so as to not sound like a revisionist nor a radical Anglo

Heath is an English name.
Why does it matter to you so much anyway?

Everytime anyone mentions English knights the French revisionists desperately try to convince people they were French

>it's now considered radical to say a man born in England is English

The absolute state of this board.

Well that bravery had to come from somewhere since it wasn’t the Isles

Grow up you fucking child

By what measure are you claiming the English are not brave?

Well, if that man never bothered to learn English language and was born from French parents who immigrated to England three years before his birth, I think calling him English is a bit inaccurate to say the least

>normans
>french

Go camp in a chokepoint with a longbow or better yet choke on this point ayyy

1. 11th century Normans were French

2. Richard Lionheart wasn't a Norman but an Angevin

>French parents

>Father
>Henry Plantagenet, some French Count who decided to become king of England one day as he was bored

>Mother
>Eleanor of Aquitaine, some French Duchess who married some French Count

>French

>one day as he was bored

Just because you keep trying to force this meme doesn't make it true. The guy waited for his MOTHER to win a civil war for him and then wandered in to pick up the crown.

You have to be at least 18 years old to post on Veeky Forums

French, indeed

Wasn't henry half English though through his mother?

>Anjou is France

Nope, his mother was French
She was the daughter of a French king of England, son of William le Conqueror

>Henry I (c. 1068 – 1 December 1135), also known as Henry Beauclerc, was King of England from 1100 to his death
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_I_of_England

Does "Beauclerc" sound English to you?

Saying Anjou isn't France is like saying that Essex isn't England or that Hesse isn't Germany...

Don't you mean Georgian kings of England?

We're Essex and Hesse separate entities from England and Germany at the times being discussed?

From what I know they spoke French, not Georgian
So I'll call them French

If America hadn't saved Europe during WW2, the Soviet would probably have pushed as far as England, and Stalin would indeed have been a Georgian King of England
But America prevented that

Who gives a shit? Clearly the French didn't much care for the Templars or they wouldn't've turned on them.

I thought his mother Matilda was English?
Also something about him being descended from Alfred The Great

So all those Algerians and Moroccans taking over half of Paris are 100% French too then?

You're confusing political borders and cultural/ethnical groups, tard
I bet you think Robert E. Lee wasn't American and that Chiang Kai-shek wasn't Chinese...

Btw, Anjou was still part of the Kingdom of France when Henry II was born

>I thought his mother Matilda was English?
Nah, as stated she was the daughter of a Norman king of England
She spoke French (like her father and her sons) and had nothing English in her

>Also something about him being descended from Alfred The Great
Sounds like bullcrap s

wrong

Matilda of Flanders
Baldwin V, Count of Flanders
Baldwin IV, Count of Flanders
Arnulf II, Count of Flanders
Baldwin III, Count of Flanders
Arnulf I, Count of Flanders
Ælfthryth of Wessex
Alfred the Great

>Arnulf
Sounds like an Anglo-Saxon name

Looks like Henry II was mostly French with some Flemish ancestry

Ah yes...the famous English king

you underage faggot

>look mom, I'm posting on the history board of a Chinese cartoon website, I'm a big boy now

>I’m gonna act like a 12 year old and there’s nothing you can do about it

>Implying that Anjou stopped being a French fief when Henry II inherited England

Pic related is yet another Englishman.

>French
>Spanish
No such thing as Spain existed for much of the Templar's existence, several men on the list were Catalans

Pic related is French art proudly displayed under the eiffle tower