Bitcoin, long term?

Looking for some advice. Here's my situation:

Live in Canada with parents.
No expenses.
About 70k in savings.
I just starting full time job as an engineer w 62k salary.
Girlfriend is in optometry school and will be for another 3 years. I do not want to move out until then.

Here's what I'm thinking:
I invest money now, higher risk stuff and am hopeful to get rich. If I lose it, I guess it won't be a huge deal because I make decent money and my girlfriend/wife would be making good money also. I think crypto may be my ticket to a comfortable life allowing me to start my own business etc basically not being a wage slave.

If you were in my position, how should I invest my money. I want to buy bitcoin. I was thinking of buying 2 Btc now and seeing if we can get a drop them I will buy more in. Should I be in ether too? Or should I just be safe and go into a vanguard etf. I don't like the vanguard option because the market is already in such a climb that I feel like a huge pullback is inbound. But then again same with bitcoin. I'm conflicted but want some advice. I will be back to the thread in around 4 hours when I'm done work and look forward to seeing some ideas.

>buy LINK

GRS, shits gonna moon again

wait for btc to drop atleast back to 3k you fucking subhuman idiot, then you wont kill yourself but if you really want the rush, buy in right now.

Balls deep into crypto. I was in the fence about opening up a vanguard account in March. I'm up 100k 8 months later. With that being said...do what you feel is right but DYOR.

Well I am thinking hedging my buy-in would be a good idea. If I have 70k to invest, why not 2 or 3 Now (because I don't want to miss those amazing gains) and just buy in more when/if it drops substantially in the future.

I am trying to do my own research, I am looking here for the broad ideas and strategies to do more research about.

Just wait. Bitcoin WILL correct down to the high $4000 range, maybe less, more than likely after this fork. Then you buy and hold for 5 years.

>>Here's what I'm thinking:
>I invest money now, higher risk stuff and am hopeful to get rich. If I lose it, I guess it won't be a huge deal because I make decent money and my girlfriend/wife would be making good money also. I think crypto may be my ticket to a comfortable life allowing me to start my own business etc basically not being a wage slave.
I'm in a similar situation. Fairly young (early 30s), no GF, no obligations. I went into Bitcoin because it's the safe bet and has still a 10x potential for the next 5 to 10 years. I don't gamble to pick the correct shitcoin for a potential higher return.

don't buy bitcoin. it is serious destined for self destruction. if crypto ever hits mainstream bitcoin is dead on arrival

When did you get in and what do you think about my proposed I buy in. Or would you just buy a huge sum now?

I first bought in at $2.5k, then more at $3k. Then I got fomoed, sold all my ETF and bought for $4k, $5k and recently a small amount for $6k.

> Or would you just buy a huge sum now?
If you feel confident in timing the market, then you could do that.
Or you can dollar cost average, which means buy a little bit every week. This strategy obviously does not work when you finished putting in all the money right before we have a big correction.

However, generally speaking, if there is an asset that has a positive expected value increase per unit of time, then the best strategy is to go all in immediately.

I personally regret not having bought for all the money to invest at $2.5k when I first started. But that does not mean it is necessarily the right choice for you. Just decide on a strategy, execute this strategy, and don't look back.

4,900 but still op, this is what you do

>Just decide on a strategy, execute this strategy, and don't look back.

This is good advice, as "deciding on a strategy" has been my biggest pitfall for years. I always research research resesrch, zero in On a plan, then get cold feet and descide against commiting to it last minute. I regret it every time.

this is what everyone in the 1930's thought when buying stocks.

we all thinking we were gonna make it.

i think its all too good to be true

Holy shit the autocorrect on this phone is terrible.

Don't get married or at least have prenup and separate finances.

>this is what everyone in the 1930's thought when buying stocks.
So what? If you held through the crash for some years, you were a rich man.

>This is good advice, as "deciding on a strategy" has been my biggest pitfall for years. I always research research resesrch, zero in On a plan, then get cold feet and descide against commiting to it last minute. I regret it every time.
Then maybe Dollar cost averaging is the right idea? Because it releases you from the weight of deciding when and how much to invest. Ignoring the fact that you still have to decide these things beforehand, but oh well.

Why? She'll make much more than me anyways.

>Then maybe Dollar cost averaging is the right idea? Because it releases you from the weight of deciding when and how much to invest. Ignoring the fact that you still have to decide these things beforehand, but oh well.

Well I just feel like every day I let pass with me not invested is just destroying me. I am thinking about how much everyone else is making and seeing crazy returns all around the board.

I can't help you. Make your own decision. You are a grown man.

With a three-year horizon, I would 100% in ETH.

BTC has no potential to grow for any reason other than an increase in adoption (it's a purely speculative vehicle with no fundamental use cases). Don't get me wrong, BTC will definitely continue to accumulate value, as long as the forks don't kill it, but you will not see crazy moon returns (10-100x) from it in three years.

ETH on the other hand, is a commodity (distributed computing power/cloud applications, etc.). Right now, the groundwork is being laid to enable that commodity to be utilized on a massive society-altering scale, but there are currently very few projects that are using it, so the price is relatively cheap compared to its potential. In short, I believe ETH has a very good chance of exploding in value over the mid-to-long term. It could also completely disappear, but I don't think that's likely to happen given the large number of successful businesses already involved in developing the technology.

Not after you buy BTC.

Why do you have to talk to people so horribly? Like seriously what's the point in being this nasty with people on Veeky Forums? I don't get it. It is the least business-y thing you can do. It makes you sound like an uneducated person

But I am not looking to cash out in 3 years. I am fine to put this money aside and forgedaboudit for years. I have enough money coming in from work as it is and she will be making good money once she starts working. I am just looking for something long (5~20 years) that may one day give me great financial freedom.

Here's what I would do then:
1. 100% ETH now.
2. In seven years, exchange ETH for BTC, ETH price will probably start to plateau around here, and flippening will have already happened, so you'll get the most BTC for your ETH
3. Allow BTC to "mature" at slower rates of growth than those we see now (primarily linked to the decrease in inflation rate, as adoption will have peaked by then)
4. ??? for 13 years
5. Profit

she's adorbs

50% BTC 50% ETH

I'd put as much as possible into BTC, and maybe 20% of it into altcoins. Then I'd wait. I wouldn't use suggestions from this board about which alts to buy. Probably Ethereum though. Also don't buy any alts from 2 or 3 years ago.

Buy some now and sell part of it just before the fork.

Terrible advice

Why would anyone invest in ethereum right now?

Because of Vitalik.

fuck off faggot we're not cucked mealy mouthed neocons like you

Welcome to Veeky Forums. Enjoy your stay

start doing meth

My advice is buy 3 BTC and hang onto them. Put the rest of the $$ in an ETF like ticker symbol SPY. BTC will be your hedge. This ain't a fancy solution, but it isn't a complicated one either. I would recommend different securities, but I take it you're a layperson when it comes to financial management.

60k salary is not much I had 70k in 2003 when I was 22 (without a degree).

I would invest 30k in real stocks, google or some medical tech company.

The other 30k I would buy bitcoin but I would wait until it drops after segwit2x.

It also depends if you are planing to actually trade or just hold.

For trading why not take 5k and put them in many different coins (diversify), maybe 4k in top 20 coins and 1k in shitcoins?

I never claimed it was a lot. I was stating my situation so people could have a better idea of how I should invest based on my current living situation.

And I would like a gold option. I don't really have time for day trading. Although a few trades a quarter would be alright if it doesn't eat up all of my time with research.

I would like to be more involved than passive. But I have been passive as I have not had a trading account setup mainly because I'm unsure of a platform and the tax complications. Once I have an account I could see myself spending a lot of time in this as it is one of my passions.

Vitalik looks like he will be long dead in 2-3 years.

they tell you to invest, then they rob you and call you a gambler. welcome to the internation bank of judaism and morgan trust political machine.

jesus lol cuck

>I am fine to put this money aside and forgedaboudit for years.

Crypto/BTC is not really something you buy and forget about. It has a habit of taking over your life.

That said, I would just put money into BTC in your position. I think very few traders or cryptos will beat BTC over the next few years.

Also, consider also putting your money into BTC cfds on a site like etoro. If you don't want to trade alts, you may find it more intuitive (stop losses etc) and easier to cash out to fiat.

Not OP, but curious:

I bought $2500 worth when it was at $4600. I keep hearing about the fork and the correction back down. Should I convert some of my BTC to ETH?

I just said it's not much because I remember when I got my first salary I thought it was a lot but it in fact wasn't. Believe me in everyones life there are expenses that can come from today to tomorrow without any announcement. It happened to me and I was forced to sell some stocks way too low, just because I was not liquid enough at that time (talking about weeks).

If you invest in shitcoins or even some of the top 20 coins you have to monitor them daily. So maybe you better go with Bitcoin and stocks (gold, silver, blue chips). Or just try cryptotrading out with a small amount.

I would hang on to your BTC (in a private wallet), get your free coins, sell them, and hedge out somewhat to USDT because there *will* be a dip in BTC at some point, likely after the fork. If you don't need the money, just hold.

There will be more forks and more drama coming up with BTC and there's always the chance that it will make ridiculous gains.

Eth will go up at some point and I do have some but BTC is the better bet this month and that's what I'm heavily invested in. If Devcon can't bump the price of Eth, I don't really know what will. One strategy might be to have a speculative punt if it drops to $280 or so.

>hedge out somewhat to USDT

Also, the time to do this is just when things are going really well and you can't believe how much money you're making.

PUT IT IN A SAVINGS ACCOUNT IN USD IN A BANK. CRYPTOS WILL KILL THE WORLD. DOGE GOING AND BITCOIN WERE INVENTED BY HITLER DURING THE WAR TO CONTROL THE JEWISH WEALTH AND OBAMA CARE RUNS ON ETHER

K, but which chain will he buy? One will die wont it?