Why do some historical figures get "translated" names, just call them by their birth names fuck's sake

Why do some historical figures get "translated" names, just call them by their birth names fuck's sake.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch#Characteristics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anglos like to imagine important historical figures were anglos

>he says in English

My favorite ''translated'' historical name was when the Anglos turned Siraj ud-Daulah into ''Sir Roger Dowler''

*sensible chuckle*

I think it's okay when the guy was called by the different names during his lifetime, and/or it has since undergone development. So charlemagne is called karl by germans but charles by frenchies.

Nobody call Charlemagnes jut charles at least not in any History classes I had

My favorite "why the fuck?" in history is the select few who get remembered by their first names, rather than the last. Why is Napoleon not called Bonaparte?

He will always be Ferdinand Alcindor to me.

Monarchs are always called by their first names, though. Napoleon, Elizabeth, Louis

>Louis XVI
Louis Bourbon
Seems amiss...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Napoleon was not a monarch. Or did he call himself one? Fuck I don't know.

I understand why other monarchs are often referenced by first name. It makes sense. But Napoleon?

>Why is Napoleon not called Bonaparte?

Same reason why Henry V isn't called De Plantagenet
Monarchs are called by their given name

>Napoleon was not a monarch

. . . he was Emperor of the French. Or are we getting into autistic semantics about whether emperors are monarchs or something superior to a monarch and all that bullshit?

He was the Emperor of the Republic and King of Italy, so I´d say he was a monarch yes

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but Napoleon was not a monarch. Or did he call himself one?

Do you even know what a monarch is?

>Monarchs, as such, bear a variety of titles – king or queen, prince or princess, emperor or empress, archduke, duke or grand duke, emir or sultan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch#Characteristics

Napoleon was emperor

idk, I'm not a european. In my head, "monarch" usually comes with a title like "king" or "queen." Not emperor.

So what kind of monarchy was France when Napoleon took France? Absolute? Enlightened? Parliamentary? I always assumed emperor was the more appropriate title for Napoleon.

Republic turned oligarchy turned empire

you need to read more books and play fewer games

>Like king, or queen. Not Emperor
You're a fucking moron, Queen victoria took the title empress of india, was she no longer a monarch?

Napoleon was like the thesis of enlightned monarchy you dense moron.

Jesus Christ, this. Some old bulgarian brainlets translated the names of some medieval valachian rulers in their own language, and now the contemporary faggots believe that those lords were actually bulgarian.

is marcus antonius really that hard to say?

Everyone does it. I've heard Hungarians translate the name Shakespeare into its components "shake" and "spear" and put it together to give him a new name.

I know it's not /his, but Voldemort got translated into "Mrlakenstein" in the slovenian translation

Languages are different. They have different phonemes. They have different rules for constructing syllables. Pronouncing names in different languages are unintuitive. Expecting Japanese people to pronounce a Welsh name properly is unreasonable. It's more reasonable for them to adapt the name to their pronunciation system.

I guess this brings up a valid point
When names are translated you end up with several variants:
1. The spelling is not translated, but the sounds. So Voldemort becomes Voldemor in some languages
Danejævelen becomes Denejau
etc
This is common regardless, because if you know your readers would read Harald as Herald, so there is no reason to keep the spelling.

2. Their name is a title. Titles can be properly translated
Haarfagre into Fairhaired is a common one, just like every single monarch. Some times, these translations are not accurate, and end up as random jibberish

Anglos fucked up a lot of them.
Its always a sensible chuckle.