What stopped Europeans from inventing tattoos?

What stopped Europeans from inventing tattoos?
What made tattoos popular in Western World later in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

larskrutak.com/the-razzouks-tattooing-for-700-years/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm pretty sure weekangz had tattoos

europeans were busy inventing new technologies and conquering the world

But Europeans had tattoos (even Ötzi had tattoos), they fell out of style thanks to christianity.

What happened after?
I guess Church banned it like all other fun things.

>stopped Europeans from inventing tattoos?
>In 2015, scientific re-assessment of the age of the two oldest known tattooed mummies, identified Ötzi as the oldest currently known example. This body, with 61 tattoos, was found embedded in glacial ice in the Alps, and was dated to 3,250 BC.[27][29]
Duuuude.
Christianity forbids tattoos because they're fucking barbarian. The popularization of tattoos among the western world (beyond sailors and criminals) is proof that western civilization is in decline, losing touch with its civilized nature and reverting to barbary.

okay grandad

>Some peasant says Hey lets get some tats of the boys Odin and Thor
>The church REEEEEEs and bans all tats

What if I decided to cover my body with bible quotes and crucifixions? Would church still call me barbarian?

It's actually hilarious when you consider Judaism bans tattoos but circumcision is mandatory.

At least the Confucians were more rational with their dogma of "your body is a gift from your parents and you must not tarnish" which leads to interesting contemporary developments where lots of Chinese ladies keep the bush.

>What stopped Europeans from inventing tattoos?
Are you retarded?

>"Britain" comes from Latin: Britannia, meaning the painted ones" or "the tattooed folk"

Ahmad ibn Fadlan wrote of his encounter with the Scandinavian Rus' tribe in the early 10th century
>Each man, from the tip of his toes to his neck, is covered in dark-green lines, pictures and such like

Nah, it is an okay thing to do if you are Russian crime boss.

Here in the Balkans back during the Ottoman jihad frontier villages used to tatoo crosses on their children's right hand. This was done so that the boys wouldn't be stolen into janissaries and girls as sex slaves (though Turks like all muslims were and are homosexual pedophiles first and foremost).

It depends on the context.

I however fully agree that tatoos are absolute shit and I despise anyone who has them.

>Bible tells you not to write on your skin
>Write bible verses on your skin
I'd call it sinful and at the same time have to wonder wether god accepts the idiot defense.

Typical middle-class moralism. It wasn't uncommon for members of European upper and upper middle classes to be tattooed in the late 19th century.

europeans had tattoos. Greeks are known to have had tattoos. Even Persians did.

As user said, Ötzi the iceman had tatoos.
Besides, bronze age cultures like Japodi in Croatia wore tattoos, so did Celts.

Tattoos are mesolithic behavior they are not fit for civilized beings. Thats why subhumans like women or criminals get them.

>What made tattoos popular in Western World later in history?
Captain James Cook and his crew all got tattoos as mementos of their expeditions to Polynesia. When they came back and showed these off to the British Court officials it became a huge trend in the UK. It was mostly done by sailors to prevent Shanghaing (Where a ship would be captured by a given countries navy and all the sailors on board would be forced into service) as a tattoo was distinct and unique enough to identify someone with in a court of law. Many of the European monarchs of the 19th and early 20th century went to Japan to get traditional tattoos from their masters such as Czar Nicholas. During ww2, many soldiers got them to help identify them should they fall in combat and cuz they all thought they'd die anyway so why not? It didn't become something popular outside of soldiers, sailors and criminals until the Punk Rock movement of the 70s. I have a super cool book on the history of tattooing cuz I wanna become a tattoo artist some day and I love history lol.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Otzi the iceman had tattoos.
The Scythian people tattooed.
The Nordic peoples tattooed.
The Celtic Peoples tattooed.
The Romans tattooed.
In medieval Europe, pilgrims loved the FUCK out of tattoos as permanent souvenirs. Pic related, its an actual original stencil from one of the oldest surviving tattoo shops in the Jerusalem.

>Christianity forbids tattoos
It also forbids shellfish and blended fabrics. People, and the church, gave zero fucks about these lesser infractions.

No, actually. The ebb and tide of the fashions of body mods always went hand in hand with expansion into new places, and thus new diseases.

Congrats, you look like most medieval tattooed people, including some monastic orders.

Dear Lord please tell me you didn't get that dogshit tattoo

They always had them, only sailors, criminals, soldiers and prostitutes were tattoed until recently. I unironically believe it's disgusting and any woman bearing them is a whore.

You think you're better than a whore?

Thats not mine. All my stuff is later period, and more detailed aside from the experimental tattoos I did in woad on my ankles.

Yes.

Haha yeah man putting needles with ink into your skin is soooo immoral and a sign of DEGENERACY haha keep up with your moral crusade, fellow god warrior

well... you are not...

Why so much tattoo hatred? Like I get it if you get a shit tattoo just to look cool or be rebellious, but there is a rich and powerful history of tattooing in many cultures stretching from 1000s of years back to today. Many masters studied their whole lives to perfect their arts and were very disciplined. Many great warriors and powerful leaders wore them as a sign of their power and command of their own destiny. It's something no one can take from you or claim as their own, you take it with you to the grave. From Samurai, to European Monarchs, to Polynesian Chieftains and many others. I just don't get why even today so many people (especially on this site and this board in particular) hate them so much?

That's your opinion and I don't agree with it, but thanks for sharing it that's why we are here.

> Many great warriors and powerful leaders wore them
Eh... Like who? I can't remember even one.

>Pretty much every Viking
>Pretty much every Celt
>Pretty much every Polynesian/Micronesian
>Pretty much every Mongolian
Not only were their many Leaders and warriors, but whole cultures of them

>Taking their lead from the British Court, where George V followed Edward VII's lead in getting tattooed; King Frederick IX of Denmark, the King of Romania, Kaiser Wilhelm II, King Alexander of Yugoslavia and even Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, all sported tattoos, many of them elaborate and ornate renditions of the Royal Coat of Arms or the Royal Family Crest. King Alfonso XIII of modern Spain also had a tattoo.
That's what Wikipedia says at least

King Phillip II of Spain also tattooed himself with Maya designs after he was impressed with seeing them on some who visited from the Yucatan.

> Tsar Nicholas II
Huh, you weren't joking.

No way, Nicky wouldn't do that

Look how badass he looks. I'd love to see all the posters ITT who are shitting on people with tattoos say that stuff to this guys face.

Huh. Nicky was a weeb

Holy shit tattoofags genuinely do think they automatically make you look tough.

Pilgrims got tattoos when they arrived in the Holy City.

larskrutak.com/the-razzouks-tattooing-for-700-years/

Cultural progress
Cultural degeneracy

Don't get me wrong, tattoos are cool and I like they are getting back into fashion. But when I see a nu-male with pencil arms wear them as to show off for being somewhat tough I cringe.

> What stopped Europeans from inventing tattoos?
Otzi had tattoos. Celts and germs too

> What made tattoos popular in Western World later in history?
Am*rican """""""""culture""""""""""

>pretty much every Viking

Genuinely interested in a citation for that?

>King Frederick IX of Denmark,

Kong Christian stod ved hojen mast~~

that's p cool

Now that i think about it, it seems that people in colder climates are likely to have tattoos

>A high level of discourse is expected

Get back from where you came

You mean Vikangz?

Celts and Scythians had them. But the rest of Europe thought it's quite niggerish though.

I was under the impression that woad scars as a tattoo?

Pretty much everyone except the Greco-Romans in Europe though.

Balto-Slavs didn't have them too, or Finnics.

Christian tattoos are pretty cool as well.

Imagine getting an Asian tattoo after getting BTFOd by an Asian country.

TFW when according to an urban legend one of your past kings had a tattoo with the motto "Death to Kings!" as a leftover from his radical youth.

and simultaneously watching Rasputin bang your wife, daughters, son and even dogs

That King was Marshal Bernadotte so it wouldn't be the most unlikely myth

prove me wrong

Replies in the thread already did before you posted your trite commentary you abject fucking retard.

ancient celts and Barbarians used tattoos and warpaint. Perhaps religious influence put a halt to that?

Well they didn't.
Visible tattoos were never part of civilized western culture.
I just gave the right answer to a simple question.

It's a sign of intellectual and advanced society (something that Europe didn't really have until mid 20th century)

>Visible
Literally the first mention of "visible" in this thread. Don't be such a weasel.

Dumb christcuck

Non-visible tattoos are not relevant, they are like a book that none has ever read.

I see that there must be a reason why this subject is so sensitive for you. Perhaps some cringey old drawings in your skin?

Showing forarms outside of hardcore labor was never a thing in Western culture either.
Guess thats another curse of becoming a T-shirt civilization.

I called you an idiot for not reading the thread you were posting in. You seem to be highly sensitive yourself about being wrong on an anonymous imageboard. Why is there any reason to?

Well, I read that big list of trivial anecdotes before I gave a straight and correct answer to a straight and simple question. I am right even if answer to the question is extremely blunt. That is something humanitiesfags never understand.

Damn, your mom must've lost her shit when she saw that...

>Have person pierce my skin several times for hours in an era before sanitation procedures and germ theory.
>Perfectly possible the tattooist licks my wound then blows on it.
>fun thing

Really?
Similar practice among copts.

Because most of the people on this board are sheltered middle class recluses who only see tattoos on criminals in movies and hence see them as degenerate instead of one of the coolest aspects of human culture

Tattoos belong in tribes not civilized society.

>implying there was never a time where Europe was a backwater shit-hole

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Even grandad had some ink from being in the army, this is just a fedora-tipping edge lord who calls women whores and acts like an incil. "Reeeeeeee! Muh White race!"

In this case it literally does so...

point proven

They had tattoos. Since like ever

I don't know. But what made them unpopular is fact they're freaking disguisting

Not him, but many period first hand accounts from captives and traders, most famously Ahmad ibn Fadlan, the Arab merchant who spent time with the Volga Vikings, and wrote about everything from their language, to a chieftain's ship-funeral.

You might know it better as the (very vague) influence for the movie, The Thirteenth Warrior.

What do you mean? All tattoos are scars. If you mean keloiding, then that is all about how you care for the tattoo as it heals, as well at the size of the needle, and the size of the pigment.

The charcoal and oak-gall tattoo between my shoulders has an evenly raised raised keloid, for example, as the pigment is significantly larger, and the bone needle was thicker, and I further encouraged the texture buy scrubbing it with a toothbrush and white vinegar.

There is tons of references to Roman soldiers tattooing legion numbers and mottos.

Nope. She thought it was wonderful.
1: we're circus folk. She has a couple tattoos too.
2: That was actual an arts/science project I did for the historic recreation group I am in.
3: Its her woad, that she grew for a fabric dying project as above.

Actually, while they didn't know about Germ Theory as we do today, they knew well about miasma and noble chemicals. White vinegar has been used for thousands of years to clean wounds and keep "malignancies" from setting in.

Which is funny, because the white cultures they glorify (Nordics, Celtics, and Germanics) all tattooed.

>Non-visible tattoos are not relevant, they are like a book that none has ever read.

Spoken like someone who has no idea what having tattoos is really about. If you wear a cross on a chain around your neck under your shirt is that insignificant? Have you told everyone around you your deepest darkest thoughts and memories? The things you hold dear to you are significant to you. Not everything has to have it's value defined by others, if anything, you post shows how shallow and contrive you are which is more "degenerate" than any tattoo could ever hope to be.

>It's something no one can take from you or claim as their own, you take it with you to the grave.

Yeah ok

go to any tattoo parlor in the midwest and tell yourselves its the art form of conquerors and not petty gangbangers and hipsters; those tough guys with their stories on their skin? the exception, no longer the norm.

because all tattoos, without exception, look shit

damn you called somebody middle class, what an insult

the girl looks very very cute, i am entranced. Source please.

>one of the coolest aspects of human culture
No.

I am honestly shocked just how deep the /pol/ has gotten rammed up the ass of this board.

You get better Veeky Forums on Veeky Forums than this page.

sadly our mods don't give a shit or are /pol/tards themselves. A vermintide of attention whoring, historical discussion the perfect place to grind their axe.

When you're alive anyway.

Don't remember, picked up in a thread on /b/ if I remember correctly.

World's oldest tattoo parlor is Christian. Since 1300

>implying Otzi was white

See . They still have original stencils.

>Pic related, its an actual original stencil from one of the oldest surviving tattoo shops in the Jerusalem.
>tripfag seriously believes a fucking tattoo shop was in continuous operation from the fucking crusades to the modern day

Pure fucking cancer.

>but there is a rich and powerful history of tattooing in many cultures stretching from 1000s of years back to today.

Those cultures are not our cultures, and the tattoo artist down at the mall with his binder full of a hundred variants of skull, heart, and cherry tattoos has no connection to them.

It's an artefact from one of the few medieval tattoo shops that didn't end up destroyed entirely from age, not something from a tattoo shop still in operation. You have terrible reading comprehension skills, dude.

>It's an artefact from one of the few medieval tattoo shops that didn't end up destroyed entirely from age
lol
So let me get this straight.
There was an abandoned tattoo shop in Jerusalem that has sat vacant since the 14th century with it's dusty stencils just waiting to be rediscovered, like the sword from fucking Conan.
This is what you believe.
lol k