Which civilization was the hardest to live in?

Which civilization was the hardest to live in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S-rj8m7Ssow
youtube.com/watch?v=Lby9P3ms11w
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3as1tv/how_did_aztec_society_measure_wealth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this one desu

Fpbp

Aztecs

Probably not the hardest in terms of life or death, but Kowloon seems pretty shitty.
>starts as a fort that belongs to China
>an island in the sea of British Hong Kong
>China doesn't have a law enforcement apparatus, Brits legally can't enforce
>home to a wave of migrants fleeing commie china
>build on top of each other, no regulations, bottom floors are basically an open sewer and an outer room with a window to the outside was living like a king
>if you serve a lifetime of protection as a triad keeping law, you're given a 4x4" room which you can lay a board across diagonally to sleep

Fascinating place, really.

Kind of, if you weren't good at war. If you were a peasant, you'd be fucked by work. If you were a tradesman or craftsman, you'd be fucked by the warriors, if you were a warrior, you'd be fair game for sacrifice and fucked over by the nobles/priests. Even as a noble you'd still have to stick big 'ol cactus needles in your tongue/dick/tits/cunt every now and again.

yet there are so many anons who wish they could go back in time and live there.

I suppose Chungking is kind f like that now. Hong Kong is WEIRD. I've never seen any city elsewhere that is set up like that. With one giant aging connected building that has people and everything in it

I know it is strange but cramped, rundown cities are kinda comfy. I have no idea how to explain it

It's hard to pick one. But general peasant life in the middle ages if you survived year 1 was hell.

Especially asian ones
In America it's shit

Russian Empire during the second serfdom.

It's the S.T,A.L.K.E.R. aesthetic, user

Caracas has a lot of that shit

More details.

Think you've consumed one too many cyberpunk movies/games/comics, there. Here's a cool video, first is annoted subs and second is hard subs:
>youtube.com/watch?v=S-rj8m7Ssow
>youtube.com/watch?v=Lby9P3ms11w

>no art
>no culture
>cant criticize government
>gulags
>secret police
>cant have privet property
>cant open your own business under your control
>everyone hates you and calls you the Evil Empire
>everyone else in the West has TV, Rock n' Roll, and 2 cars while you have to wait in a line for bread.
>family starves to death
>cant leave
>Ukrainians sucked Nazi dick just because they hated you so much
at least they had SPACE and TIGERS

>8 people in front of you in the free sausage line in Moscow.
>amerilards whole family dies having to wait that long

>buttmad Russian subhuman

Sparta

To this day I don't understand how some of these ancient civilizations based in the rainforest, like the Maya, not only survived by thrived. Between the tropical diseases, inhospitable terrain, and general other shit trying to kill you, it's hard just to stay alive there.

food grows on trees

Not at all. Sacrifices were enemy warriors, not domestic civilians (with a few exceptions). The quality of life in the the core Aztec cities, especially tenochtitlan (which will be the model for the rest of my post). was pretty good. Everybody, even commoners and girls went to schools and got educated (though the upper classes went to better schools and girls got a different curriculumn in secondary school), the cities were kept much cleaner then in europe at the time: A class of civil servents (who were paid by the state) to keep streets and buildings clean and to collect garbage and waste, everybody bathed regularly using steam baths. You had access to fresh water thanks to aquaducts, and toliets and sewage systems were in place; and there were gardens and shitt all over the city and in noble homes to keep stuff smelling nice on top of the excellent sanitation.

There were courts with judges and an actual legal system (If you've noticed, the Aztecs were very big on government bureaucracy and municipal systems), so if somebody stole your shit you had recourse, and there were essentially municipially run community watch/police to look out for crime. There were tons of communal areas and markets as well.

I'd hazard to say that your quality of life in most core aztec cities would be basically equivalent to what you'd see in ancient greece given the social class/wealth of a given indivual was analogous, with Tenochtiitlan in particular likely having some of the highest quality of lifes in the world, with the main caveat being that the Aztecs pretty pretty classist, so if you were born into low class you wouldn't have much opportunities for social advancement. The specifics of this are pretty complicated so i'm just going to link to this, which despite being on plebbit is a very good overview of how social clases and wealth worked: reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3as1tv/how_did_aztec_society_measure_wealth/