Friendly /Career and Resume/ thread

I remember when Veeky Forumsraelis were aspirational and prepared to work for their success.

now its all coins, shilling and get rich quick schemes.

ITT:
-post your resume
-critque others'
-ask career and industry questions
-give friendly advice

Good Resume examples:
math.nyu.edu/media/mathfin/class/2017/resume_book_2017.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/cameronkeng/2014/06/22/employees-that-stay-in-companies-longer-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/#36879884e07f
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm a sophomore in college studying accounting. have 2k of my student loans in $JNUG waiting for it to pop & currently doing small bookkeeping at a food bank. honestly tired of school but this seems like the safest degree. Any advice?

>safest degree
did you take the safest degree because you want a safe job?

why not apply to the big4 accountancy firms?

>tired of school
>2k of my student loans in $JNUG
perhaps youd prefer to trade for a living, why not look into some finance courses/jobs?

Wagecuck

i chose this degree because i saw what my girlfriends father had done with it, he got bachelors in it and then got his CPA license. he is the only one that works in the family and are retarded with how much money they spend. it seems like it isn't too difficult and advancement is easy.
trading would be fun but i dont really consider a finance degree because i have been told accounting could transfer to finance easier than finance could transfer to acc. sorry if this was a bit much to read

maybe just sit in on some finance courses and see if it interests you more.

dont wait around to apply for jobs/internships in areas that interest you. you have to put yourself out there and compete.

also, your first job doesnt have to be your last. you may find something that suits you better once you start working

just dont miss the train and end up forever-neet like this guy:

I have more investments than u, cuck.

you think people with high-paying jobs dont invest their earnings?

thanks for bumping the thread though

Real talk

How do I fake leadership/management experience?

Currently doing a commerce degree where my major is finance but my first finance class im really struggling
All my accounting subjects that ive done thus far i have completely aced but finance is fucking me, dunno what to do as i fuckingggg hate accounting it just comes easy to me and finance is so interesting and fun for me

its normal for a degree to be difficult

is there any reason why putting in some extra hours at the library wouldn't work? usually lecturers are v sympathetic to questions out of class too

good that you realized the issue sooner rather than later though - if you get too far behind it get much harder to catch up

Ive been trying to hours put in extrabut man still struggling, i do take comfort in knowing that apparently this course has been taught like shit for the last few years but cant blame it all on that.
think ill take the L this semester i have gotten abit lazy and combine that with how horrible the course is taught just fucks my shit up, exam is 10 days think ill bomb it and retake next year. Just worries me that i sturggled this much and i have chosen this major

hi, i am the sophomore accountant from earlier. could you describe how finance classes differ? how i imagine it is less counting assets and more evaluating businesses?

you don't.
even if you can fake it at an interview, you'll be burned at the steak once in the field

How the fuck am I supposed to get experience in it than if they all require minimum 5 years in the position?

Do you just kinda wait until it falls on you out of pure seniority?

You stay in a company for long enough to prove your worth, then somebody gives you a small team to manage. And IF you don't fuck up (and having studied this shit helps a ton), then boom - experience.

pretty much nailed it.
A lot of evaluating market conditions, investment strategies, Risk management, valuing securities for you to make a investment decision

Fuck, I'd really rather not spend years and years having some assclown push me around but I guess I have no choice then.

I work in a hospital, so management hardly ever changes and when it does they usually want the guy who already has 20+ years of experience working for some other hospital that they scalped him from.

>management hardly ever changes
you shouldn't be trying to get into "management". It IS a position for seniors.
you should be focusing on doing good work, and after a couple years (not 20), you'll be given a small team, then after a couple more, a bigger team, and then after let's say 20 you'll have graduated into upper management.

if you don't creep up in the hierarchy then either you or your boss are doing something wrong, and you should reassess your situation.

Entry level "title that I want"

Management is for poorfags and cucks. Blue collar makes more money.

>*some* blue collar*s* *get lucky and* make more money
most white collars earn a better living than most blue collars tho.

Dude, you don’t need any “”official”” credentials or plaque on the wall....you literally just Lead.

The definition of being a leader is noticing something that needs to be done, but that nobody seems to be doing, or are all too lazy to do themselves. So you simply decide to do it, and ask for some help from people that can assist in making it happen.

I was never a manager at any of my previous work places (recent college grad here). But if I ever get asked in an interview for examples of cases where I took a leadership role, you bet your tenser ass I can talk all day about how awesome of a fucking supreme leader I am.

It can literally be anything. So in my senior design project, my team consisted of myself and a couple of relative autist programmers. They were plenty smart, in fact to the point where they’d often waste time deliberating over stupid shit that really didn’t ultimately matter. So whenever I saw that happening I took it upon myself to clear my throat and say ok guys, let’s just do and move on, and see how it works out. Yeah? I know it saved us a ton of time and energy in the project, just because I recognized when the nerds were tripping over each other caught up in a loop of sorts, and so I just temporally steered the conversation in a slightly more productive direction.

Could also describe in unnecessarily flowery detail how you had the idea to get people to start a study group with you for a test or something like that. Literally anything where you were the catalyst for making something happen.

Also OP, great thread, we should DEFINITELY have more of these

do good work. if they dont want to keep you, leave for someplace that does.

there's a good argument for switching jobs regularly anyway, in that people advance faster:

forbes.com/sites/cameronkeng/2014/06/22/employees-that-stay-in-companies-longer-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/#36879884e07f