Colonial exhibitions

What, precisely and if anything, was wrong with colonial exhibitions?

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.openedition.org/cea/1214?lang=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Explotation and genocide

>exploitation
I read they were paid. Were they underpaid, or was it just an exceptional thing ?
>genocide
Where ?

they were crude representations of africa, i guess. more emphasis on exotic elements than actually trying to understand people on that continent. it also disguised the pretty brutal force labor regimes used by colonial empires on that continent, swapping it out for "africans are basically a human nature reserve look at the cool stuff our scientists found while studying it"

What percentage of the population was forced to work ?

Living conditions could be pretty horrible for the actors/exhibitions brought back to Europe, they were in completely different climates and with inadequate medical support, inadequate sanitation, inadequate clothing, inadequate heating. A lot of the subjects of colonial exhibitions died. Not to mention that it is inherently demeaning, there were cases where they put them in cages with monkeys and other tropical animals like they weren't even human.

The people were basally shipped and treated like lifestock. At least in the ones Ive read about.

depended on the colony, i can't list specifics. but british, belgians and french used forced labor systems. it existed alongside different kinds of labor systems though. french for example conscripted laborers to harvest cotton, rubber and other resources. british demanded labor from substistence farmers for mining in malawi, and in other areas that used wage labor they used intimidation to keep labor costs down e.g. rhodesia and south african gold mines and copper mines

Because accurate depictions of native Africans make them look like animals. We have to pretend they're our equals.

Ota Benga had a hard life.

Also arbitrary taxation but that may fall under you said earleir and forced land removal
since in the latter case can't sustain yourself off the land and barter/trade some produce anymore so you have to work and with no land the wage floor is really low.

Also in Portugal case the sheer numbers of Africans meant they could work the forced laborers to death and have unyielding pool pull labour and that shit lasted to the mid 20th century in the 50's and it barely got better past that. Salves more or less.

journals.openedition.org/cea/1214?lang=en

>«Sometimes after the men are taken from the village, they take some of the women [to work on road maintenance]. Some men were taken to Catete on the railroad to work in the cotton fields. They may have to stay two or three years as contracted laborers. Some of them have been sent to work on sugar plantations for a six month's term, but under various pretexts the time may be prolonged to seven or eight months. The planter told them that he had «bought» them of the Government, that they were his slaves and that he did not have to pay them anything. They got only their food and a receipt for their head tax»5.

>Also in Portugal case the sheer numbers of Africans meant they could work the forced laborers to death and have unyielding pool pull labour and that shit lasted to the mid 20th century in the 50's

Actually to 1961!
So we had basically slavery under a European power only just 57 years ago which is my fathers age.

I really did my best getting this article.

Saudi Arabia only abolished slavery officially in 1972 but still practices it today.

\in 2013 the Muslim Council called slavery 'an integral part of Islam.'

liberal indoctrination is a bitch...

The only colonial exhibition I know is The Paris 1931 colonial exhibition.
>exploited
Absolutely, a lot of them were citizens kemidnapped from their villages. They were exposed in fenced areas just line animals in a zoo. They were NOT paid. Some of the tribe kings were willing to do that tho. But putting human beings behind barb wire like they were dangerous animals is not ok at all.

besides that, I thought it was pretty cool, lots of great munuments were built for the occasion and destroyed afterwards. It's a shame tho, I would have loved to visit them while taking a walk in Paris.
>tfw will never visit little Angkor while walking doggo

I guess you could say some of it was in poor taste

He specifically said European power, so I don't know why you felt the need to start going on about Saudi Arabia and Islam

Slavery was abolished in Portugal in 1761 and slave trading was abolished in 1836, what are you talking about?

The corvee system

On paper. In practice far from it.
Read that paper.

What percentage of the population of the whole of Africa?
Do you know how big Africa is? Why did you ask that question?

>Genocide Africans
>Their population increases by 5 fold

To have an idea of whether the average African was forced to work for the colonists or lived his life in his village as is ancestors did.