Meta WW1 pics thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k3C9JbY-GAE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Vaux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Holy shit, please tell me that's just a crushed helmet.

sauce?

Literally the cannon fodder generation

Fought for monarchs, died for bankers, sowed the seed for the even more brutal slaughter

youtube.com/watch?v=k3C9JbY-GAE

That’s really unsettling

>Giant ass fucking watermark over footage that isn't theirs
SAD!

>verdun
>pickelhaube

Wut?

can you imagine firing a rifle in there? the echo from one alone would destroy your ears, let alone multiple people firing at each other

Most WWI soldiers had destroyed hearing pretty damn quick; whistles were commonly used by officers because the high pitched sound carried easier for deaf ears than the relatively low pitch of shouting (veterans could also still distinguish some of the higher pitched sounds indicative of artillery fire, which likely contributed to the massive backlash of PTSD/shellshock in civilian life)

Not to mention they used grenades and flamethrowers too

>2 and 3 June 1916, Germans attack the fort directly with flame throwers and force French troops outside to retreat into the fort. The Germans begin to enter the fort through the coffers of the contre-escarpe

>June 7, 1916, for three days water supplies are empty and the fighting takes place inside the galleries with grenades, guns and bayonets. Commander Raynal is captured by the Germans under military honours for having fought bravely in extreme conditions with a thirsty garrison.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Vaux

Huns LARPed with pickelhaube until 1918
why didnt they used piece of cloth? it can protect your ears and you still hear everything, same thing applies on cotton (synthetic made, i dont know its actual name)

The pickelhaube was replaced with the stahlhelm in 1915

Ww1 is literally the most autoricious period in human history. I always find it hard to separate the thought that men really do have it shit historically and women had it so fucking easy. Except I have the feeling it’s some sort of stupid concept.

Eastern front in WW2 as a whole was ten times more barbaric and brutal than any section of WW1.

Except that in WW2 there were less people across the distance and more people faking fighting?

German POW's in Japan, they were apparently treated very well

Doubtful
Sure civilians and prisoners were treated worse, but when i comes to fighting, I doubt even Stalingrad could be considered as brutal as the hundred millions of shell that fell over the few km2 of the Verdun battlefield in the course of a few months

Whatever mate. Western front had 15 mil dead and WW2 eastern front was gigantic with similar deaths and constant movement. Yes brutal but less brutal than literally dying for nothing.

Rzhev meat grinder easily surpasses Verdun or any similar battle in terms of brutality, and it's considered just a tiny part of the entire Battle of Moscow theater.

>I doubt even Stalingrad could be considered as brutal as the hundred millions of shell that fell over the few km2 of the Verdun battlefield in the course of a few months

Stalingrad was literally firebombed to dust before the majority of 6th army even set foot inside the city.

Of course the fighting in the Eastern front wasn't constant (you had relatively calmsections like Leningrad front which was basically a mini WW1 with trench warfare), but it was in general far more dynamic than WW1 where soldiers rotated every two weeks in the trenches. Even WW1 Eastern front was a bigger shitshow than the Western front, but people don't care about it.
>Western front had 15 mil dead
Wut?

I fucking hate people who say doubtful

Something about the shifting perspective unnerves me, makes it seem less flat and more real.

better version

Be at peace, sons of Gondor.

Nice to show that you havent read any books there buddy
Mars and Rzhev operations were nothing compared to Verdun

inb4 proof of the Crucified Canadian

>Ayyo Garcon, dem Germanz was fucking up are shit nigga, here have some kush to calm your nerves ya dig?
I know that they obviously wouldn't have sounded like that, but I wonder what having a black colonial soldier in your brigade in ww1 was like. I'd prolly joke around n' shit with him a lot to pass time when we weren't fighting for dear life.

wtf, why are germans so sadistic and barbarous

recommend any books strictly about/on Verdun?

Here is an image contribution while i await books on verdun

Why weren't the two left ones adopted? Anykind of shrapnel protection would probably help

Replacement is not really instant with anything, even today we the same issues with mayor superpowers, there would have still been units who hadn't been given the stahlhem. Given Germany's economy was war ravaged

The price of glory by alistair horne

The trench was most likely even worse.

What does meta mean? I never really understood it

>women had it so fucking easy
Women haven't had it easy. A bit easier than men, perhaps.

He's not a colonial soldier, it's just a shitty quality pic and his face is in shadow

This battle was fucking brutal

TIL that Eastern Front in WW2, with more horrifying weapons, total disregard for civilian life and utter ideological hatred was less brutal than WW1 mud trench warfare. High point being that Stalingrad, where high school girls fought in front lines with AA guns vs Panzer tanks is nothing compared to the horrors of Verdun. Mon dieu!

For a board this slow, you sure have some slow posters as well.

Sorry, but movement warfare in a ruined city is less bad than attrition warfare in a no man's land of mud and trenches

The only war that equates the Western Front of WW1 is awfulness is the Iran-Iraq War

>High point being that Stalingrad, where high school girls fought in front lines with AA guns vs Panzer tanks

I see you watched this very accurate WW2 documentary called "Girlz and Panzer" too

If only there was a way to find out why is the city ruined and what happened to its inhabitants hmmmm

I thought this was a history board. Over 75k women fought in the Battle of Stalingrad. I am not here to spoonfeed mouth breathing idiots.

>2740 dead and wounded
How though

>Over 75k women fought in the Battle of Stalingrad.
"""fought"""
Most of them were medics and rear echelon troops and few would've been involved in serious fighting

>ywn be tended to by a highschool aged russian qt3 after a long day of slaugtering G*rmans
Why live?

Yeah, most had cushy jobs like telephone operator.

>few

There were three female pilot units alone at Stalingrad

What the fuck, in the future I'll go to /v/ to talk about history.

That helmet is so rad.

You're delusional, the WW1 Western Front is the absolute epitome of suffering. I can tell you've never actually read anything about it.

>The Crucified Soldier refers to the widespread atrocity propaganda story of an Allied soldier serving in the Canadian Corps who may have been crucified with bayonets on a barn door or a tree, while fighting on the Western Front during World War I. Three witnesses said they saw an unidentified crucified Canadian soldier near the battlefield of Ypres, Belgium on or around 24 April 1915, but there was no conclusive proof such a crucifixion actually occurred. The eyewitness accounts were somewhat contradictory, no crucified body was found, and no knowledge was uncovered at the time about the identity of the supposedly crucified soldier. During World War II the story was used by the Nazis as an example of British propaganda.
>tl;dr it was made up for propaganda purposes

The one to the right is so LARP I don't even..

Interfered with gas masks

I believe it was the Italian's armored mask

It was a fort user

Yeah I did some reading about this, apparently they formed one of the first orchestras in Japan and left some German traditions in the town they stayed in

Damn..

>Poor Little Black Boy (1917)

his ammo pouch and coat makes him a Russian.

explain how this is any different than that one #trenchfoot school assignment pic