Universal Human Language

When we start exploring space and probably discover alien life, what should be the universal Human Language? My vote is on Latin

pic unrelated

english or chinese
english because like 20% of the world already speaks it, chinese because we're looking at a chink century

>language: english
>measurement system: imperial
>everyone drives on the right
>official world sport: american football
how pissed would europoors be if this was decided by the UN

Only britcucks and their offspring (Canada,Australia,South Africa,etc) drive on the left

Math

Canucks have driven on the right since the 20's

Canada drives on the right.

A language for interspecies communication should be simple and limited in both syntax and vocabulary. It is supposed to facilitate basic communication and easy to learn. Latin is not practical for this purpose.
Also, only faggots speak Latin.

China has basically zero cultural influence beyond its borders. The world is absolutely not learning Chinese.

Everyone already speaks English. And it's a relatively easy language to learn, with an intuitive alphabet and simple structure.

>My vote is on Latin
stop LARPing

we'll already have universal translators by then making it pointless discussion.

Sure Latin is very difficult, but you can't deny that it's very important to humans. Hell almost every nation's motto is in Latin, and Latin-based names are heavily used in science, math, and astronomy. Most of our planets are named after Roman gods and even Earth's hypothetical name (Terra) is in Latin.
So yeah I think Latin should be our universal Language

>Universal translator
>Don't even know alien language, let alone how to translate it

The rest aren't too bad but imperial measurements suck dude, especially for science. It wouldn't just be euros opposing it.

Doesn't matter because it will fragment eventually into new languages

>imperial measurements suck
they really don't, its not that difficult to do a fucking unit conversion

I don’t think that works in a world of easy travel and communication. I would assume English around the world is becoming more similar, or at least easier to understand across dialects due to exposure.

Chink language is retarded and difficult as fuck to learn. It'll be some fucked up version of English unless America goes splat. Alternatively it will be whatever nations really push space travel. Chinkese may be stupid but if in 200 years all your space travel, technology development and infastructure is China based then we'll speak Chnkese.

Newspeak.

Even if the whole anglosphere disappeared tomorrow English would remain the global language, since it’s the most common ‘common’ language pretty much everywhere. Even when Chinese travel to Korea or Japan or Vietnam they use English (an vice versa). Loads of countries use English administratively and for inter-group communication even where nobody’s first language is English. Ditto loads of international institutions, businesses, schools... a good chunk of the English spoken every day around the world is between second language speakers, potentially even the majority.

double-plus go fuck yourself

Why do a unit conversion when metric is just objectively better for scientific measurements? The only remnant of Imperial in 100 years will be inches as a measure of penis size.

Metric system has already been decided on. You Liberians are just a bit behind the times.

>objectively better for scientific measurements
The only thing it has going for it is that unit conversions are slightly easier, which is a non-issue unless you're bad at multiplication.

No it's that the metric system isn't based on some sort of subjective measurement or on some prototype but is based on the speed of light so it has an objective property.

China knows that they won't dominate linguistically, except in niche industries, and mostly around its own borders. That's why they're investing a ton in teaching everyone English. No need for the Anglosphere or the rest of the world to adapt.

Length is not the only SI unit.

>based on the speed of light
so is the foot.

Yes in the sense that the foot is now derived from the metric system...

It's just you guys who are to stubborn to stop using outdated measurments. I mean assuming you're americans or brits then you're military and your scientists already use SI units.

Its not stubburness, its the fact that many of our instruments, equipment and standards are given in imperial and it would cost a lot of money to replace all of it.
The military and the scientific fields also use both imperial and metric.

So apparently you mentioned interstellar travel but you're just asking about a global lingua franca? In that case, English. It's already there as a global language. Unless there is an unprecedented but civilisation-preserving military conquest by a non-English speaking power, we're stuck with English.

>When we start exploring space and probably discover alien life
I honestly don't think this will ever happen. Before someone posts a quote about historical people doubting the possibility of human flight, hear me out.

Interest in space travel has only declined since the 70s. By the time we have good enough geoengineering to terraform another planet, it would be easier to use those methods to just stick things out on Earth instead. That's assuming we don't fuck ourselves over through climate change, nuclear war or bioweapons, all of which grow more plausible over time. FTL is impossible according to our best knowledge, and even travelling in speeds remotely approaching the speed of light would be hard for humans.

In addition, we've received no radio signals, seen no dyson spheres. It's highly likely that alien life exists elsewhere in the universe, but out of the billions of species that have existed on Earth, only ONE has been intelligent, and we're currently facing existential threats that wouldn't have existed if we were non sapient.. So even if intelligent aliens exist by virtue of statistics it'd probably be so rare that actually coming into contact with it (let alone being at a comparable technological level) seems extremely rare. The observable universe is 93 billion light years across and scientists think that the whole universe is probably at least 9 times larger than that. At best I feel like we might have regular flights to Saturn's moons in a colonized solar system, given that antimatter lasers are pretty much the most efficient propulsion systems we'll likely create.

People in the past predicted flying cars, meal replacement pills and domed cities but not the internet. I think interstellar travel will be a similar forgotten dream. Who's to say the future won't focus on small-world innovations like programmable matter, nanomedicine, quantum computing or virtual reality? That seems to be the current direction.

Speak whatever you like. The AIs and what not will do the translating.

I was referring to translation between human languages. It wouldn't matter which language was the lingua franca because you'd have next level smartphones translating everything on the fly. Or even more advanced technology like brain-computer interfaces that allow pure thought / intention / mental imagery to be communicated.

Also, aliens will probably be superintelligent AI which will have no problem decoding our languages. Especially if it has access to our internet and media.

Japan

>Chink language is retarded and difficult as fuck to learn

Not really.

>And it's a relatively easy language to learn

Not really. English is "Easy" because it's native speakers are so shit at it.

Russian
If you can't pronounce zdravstvuyte properly, you don't belong to space

Have you actually ever been in Asia?
They may not have any significant cultural influence in America and Europe, but...

>Latin

You’re an idiot. It will be English. No one is going to resurrect and learn a dead and defunct language that we would need to fill with loanwords and other garbage.

>>will never happen
Dude we have millions of years before the sun gets too hot for liquid water to exist on the earth.
>>existential threats
Are perfectly surmountable challenges.
>>Who's to say the future won't focus on small-world innovations like programmable matter, nanomedicine, quantum computing or virtual reality?
We will likely have things like this in addition to interstellar travel.

>And it's a relatively easy language to learn
Lol wut?

Ghetto African American English

Languange: ok; everything else: ok; but imperial? Fuck, miss me with that inaccurate and illogical shit

emoticons

not joking

Depends on whose people and ships are out there doing the heavy lifting.
At present, you have about 3 choices.
Learn all of them.

Write down something In emojis, I dare you

it doesn't matter if you have a trillion years if something impossible or impractical

>we
You mean white or asians right fuck off with your unity bullshit.

Have you been to Asia and Africa lately? The Chinks have been trying their asses off pushing Chinese to the Africans and South East Asians they "civilized" (yes they actually say this in propaganda).

>English is "Easy" because it's native speakers are so shit at it.
> it's

>inaccurate
no
>illogical
yes but doesn't really matter

It's true though. Sometimes I think people don't even reply to me because my language is too verbose for the kind of redneck mallsharters /pol/ attracts.

Was it autism?

ukrainian
hohol mafia