Why did Japan do so poorly against the USSR in WW2?

Why did Japan do so poorly against the USSR in WW2?

Probably because they weren't expecting it? They did reasonably well until Khalkin Ghol

Because the Americans were slapping the shit out of them

Because the IJA was shit; it had little in the way of heavy equipment, an antiquated doctrine, and would wilfully resist actually learning from prior battle experience. About the only thing they did well was stand and die in the face of overwhelming firepower, but that doesn't win you battles, it just draws out defeat.

more like "why did Japan do so poorly against pretty much everyone in WW2"

I don't know, the synchronized artillery so the Americans think they're shelling their own men shit was pretty inventive

The Soviets took everything they learned fighting and beating Germany, plus 90 days to plan, and move everything in place.

Japan had no idea how to counter mechanized assaults ( only the soviets really understood how to ).

The Soviets understood exactly how to conduct one at the operational level, and use the openings gained at a strategic level.

>an antiquated doctrine, and would wilfully resist actually learning from prior battle experience
This sounds like bullshit. The real and only reason was the first: a lack of heavy equipment. The Soviets employed more tanks and aircraft. That's basically it.
>but that doesn't win you battles, it just draws out defeat.
Apparently not.

because they were busy fighting china

user, you know they fought the Soviets twice, right? The first time was in 1938 in Khalkin Ghol.

Not an argument

Antiquated doctrine is true, they hadn't even really encountered deep battle before, they had no doctrines they could have used to counter massive soviet mechanized breakthroughs.

It wouldn't have mattered if they had a million super doctrines when they didn't have tanks, guns, radios, and trucks.

Same reason why they lost to America in the Pacific. Outdated Doctrine, and refusal to adopt newer one due to muh battleships.

>die with honor
>goes down like a bitch to a few air planes after getting routed by some destroyers
kek

>muh doctrine
If you switch doctrines America still wins in the Pacific and Soviets still win in Manchuria. What does that tell you?

In 1938, the Soviets did not have more tanks and aircraft in the area.

kek

A lot actually. The General in Okinawa switched Doctrines for Defence in depth and bloody the American forces. I'm not saying it would be a complete game changer but America would have lost more had it been the adopted Strategy compare to what they were using before.

You mean Japs used defense in depth in a large island when they didn't do that in coral reefs you can walk across in 2 hours? You don't fucking say.

The Soviet troops that got sent into Manchuria in 1945 were veterans of the European war who'd fought all the way to Berlin before being transferred east. They were probably the most hardened and experienced combat troops anywhere in the world at specific point in time. And they outnumbered the Japanese by a substantial margin, with a 2:1 advantage in manpower, 5:1 advantage in tanks, 5:1 advantage in artillery, and 3:1 advantage in aircraft. The Japanese never stood a chance. Fun Fact: MacArthur actually tried to issue orders to Soviet units, thinking that his position of supreme allied commander in the Pacific obligated them to take orders from him. He was rebuked when the Soviet commander present sent him a very angry reply that the Soviet army would remain under Soviet control.

>A demoralized any who sees their country being bombed and nuked into ash and is cut off from their supplies gets routed.

What a surprise.

defense in depth is a hell of a lot better than put everything on the beachhead and don't even bother to prepare fallback positions. Kwajalein could have been a lot more bloody if they'd adopted defense in depth.

It took several days before even the HQ in Tokyo got confirmation of the first atomic bombing. The Kwantung army had basically no idea what was going on in the mainland, apart from "grorious emperor reading us to finar victory".

Are you retarded? Kwajalein is 5 miles across. You can't deploy defense in depth because there is no fucking depth.

>Implying that would matter.

*2.5 miles across

Look at this faggot, everyone. Look at this mouthbreathing, inbred retard who thinks Japs should've deployed defense in depth on a coral atoll 2.5 miles across at its deepest.

>there's no depth
there is in fact about 2.5 miles of depth. I'm not saying they needed to dig trench systems 30 miles deep, but them throwing EVERYTHING onto the beach line and not even having good fallback positions was just retarded, and is universally regarded as a tactical fuck up on the part of the japs.
I actually can't believe someone drew and lettered this

>there is in fact about 2.5 miles of depth
It's 2.5 miles long at its longest, but less than 1km wide. There was no possibility of a defense in depth.
Meanwhile they deployed defense in depth wherever it was possible. Really makes you think, doesn't it, you dumbfuck, that actual military commanders would know how to conduct warfare?

>I actually can't believe someone drew and lettered this
What makes it unbelievable? the Yamato Damashii thing is a pretty big meme

Shit that means literally every part of the island would be within range of 5"/38 destroyer guns. Imagine trying to hold something like that.

Japan literally gives zero fucks about anything bad they might have done during WW2.

I'm pretty sure she winds up shot to death later on because as it turns out Yamato Dameshii doesn't magically stop bullets.

That one manga about the JMSDF destroyer that goes back in time had a similar scene, with one of the officers shoving a pistol in an Imperial fanatic's face and saying essentially "If your Emperor is so great, he'll stop this bullet."

There were 100+ B-24s and a battleship supporting the attack. There wasn't really anywhere to hide.

Except the Chinese and Korean peasants.

>Japan fought Korea in WW2
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

*takes away all your colonies oil and rubber*
Geez nothing personal gaijin

Because China and USA

>China
Sorry chink, but contrary to your propaganda movies, chinks did absolutely nothing of value besides soaking up jap bullets and dulling their massproduced katana.

They destroyed the bongs rather easily.

Yeah I'm sure the USSR fighting Germany won them Khalkin Gol

IJA got its ass kicked in during open large-scale land battles.

They got their ass kicked in in general, but in a heavily fortified hilly island warfare environment could be tenacious little roaches

Japan had plenty of carriers, but I'm sure you learn history through anime

And American.

My god. They are truly shameless.

>the entire pacific fleet was devastated
jesus christ what kind of kool aid do they give to japs

>its Battleships had never been sunk

bitches please

Maine was an armored cruiser.

.......battleships were only really relevant from 1900-1930, and America didn't really have an naval conflicts during that period, so they wouldn't have lost any ships.

But after 1941, America didn't lose any battleships.
Japan lost all of hers.

You are arguing seriously with a Kankerlle comic.

someone actually sat down at a desk and drew this

And depict Japan winning the War.

what the fuck is this shit? This whole make everything into a MUH CUTESY MANGO ARTZ is almost cancerous as bronies turning everything into a pony

They must be talking about the Russo-Japanese war......right?

No.

-One of the gentlest occupations in human history
-Gain everything they need after the war, Japan becomes wealthy and prosperous
-Only had to set free China, Korea, and other siezed lands.
-Militarism abolished....

In a sense, losing to the USA was the greatest "victory" that Japan needed.

>Makes you wonder how important the loss of "Yamato" was, dosen't it?

>One cannot underestimate what seeing photographs of civilians, ambling about, after having been partially melted by atomic bombs did to the world in terms of mindset.

During the initial stages of Khalkin Gol a newly raised green Japanese garrison division attacked numerically superior Soviets and inflicted 3-1 casualties (5,000 vs 15,000) on them, while knocking out 300 AFVs for the loss of 42 of their own. They got encircled and routed a month later because the Japanese thought this was a border skirmish and forbade escalation while the Soviets literally shipped in 4 elite divisions, 500 tanks, and 4,000 trucks all the way from fucking Europe to smash the aforementioned green garrison division. I'm not sure how people get "lulz japs suck" from that.

Because racist America was bullying Japan and not letting the great Japanese army liberate the people from communism and imperialism. Instead the U.S. imperialists placed an unfair and cruel embargo on Japan and thus Japan was in a dire situation for its military. If the Americans left the poor Japanese alone and let them do their mission of freeing people from tyranny and enslavement, they would have won against the Soviets.

>we lost
>you musn't let anyone know about this
so the guys in this panel are part of the japanese navy, right?

What happened to Dutch dude's eyes?

Literally more fictional than those KanColle doujins posted.

Literally exactly what happened. I can even name the exact divisions redeployed from Europe and the green unit that faced them.

can you at least provide a citation

>This sounds like bullshit
You're a retard. Go check out the little campaign called Fall Gelb, or Operation Barbarossa, to see how good doctrine vs a bad one is a hell of a lot more important than equipment counts.

I assume you mean in 1945? because there was literally no reason for them to not get raped. they had untrained garrison troops with the worst possible equpiment, because manchuria was japan's lowest priority at the time, against just about the most well-armed and experienced forces the soviets had as well as the best commanders.

additionally, japan was taken completely by surprise, because the soviets attacked early due to an agreement with the allies. this resulted in the soviets walking right past the japanese positions with no resistance, sometimes even storming right into their barracks to find them still asleep. it took forever for the japanese HQ to even become aware that the invasion was taking place. ironically, in many ways it was parallel to the initial stages of barbarossa.

the power of hohols in the red army
hohol mafia

Alvin Coox's "Japan Against Russia", pages 573 to 574 for the Soviets shipping in handpicked units from Europe while the Japanese were not allowed to escalate. Pages 180 and 181 of the same book for the low quality of the primary Japanese force in that battle, the 23rd infantry division (Japanese officers rated it "below medium" and only fit for garrison duty, it was poorly equipped and the newest division in the Kwantung Army).

Why were Western power's so Brutal?

Too bad these girls weren't in the army or they would have seen the fucking everything

>get exiled versus being beheaded
Rather take exile

The delusion of Grandeur is Strong with the Japs.

Personally I think it's kind of adorable.

That is because you have no honour filthy western pig.

>In a sense, losing to the USA was the greatest "victory" that Japan needed.
There's an actual anime making this point. Jap modern warship goes back in time to 1942 and crew is torn on what to do, halp japs to prolong war with their super-duper weapon or to sink ship and wait for profitable defeat.

Do they showcase the sinking of the USS Panay as some heroic battle too?

Yeah, why?

Just curious

Is it bad that I regocnized that artist instantly? Is his kancolle shit just as awful as the girls und panzer one?

Why the fuck would they help Imperial Japan?

I've watched part of the anime he's talking about. Never finished it, but the crew is very conflicted as to whether or not they should actually get involved or not.

It's fucking stupid. It's like a what-if U.S soldiers from the Southern States were to be transported to the U.S Civil Was and sided with the Confederate States of America.

I didn't like it enough to keep watching it, so I'm not gonna argue with that. It just seemed like it was executing its premise in the most boring way imaginable.

I want to hug Yukari and play tanks with her.

What's the source?

please answer

Just reverse image search you dumb fucking nigger.

I did. It appears to be a screenshot

they got fucked by like 5 colonial troops against the whole gook subhuman military

The source is literally in SauceNao, it gives you the full fucking title on where that page is from.

Japan invaded and occupied Korea, you degenerate

Lies

Japan LIBERATED Korea.

The difference being that those guys wouldn't be shot on sight. There were tons of soldiers from the Southern States who stayed loyal during the Civil War, so guys from the future wouldn't necessarily be automatically on the CSA's side.

A modern Japanese warship going back in time to 1942? That's a different story. They would have zero love for the imperialist fanatic society that is currently leading their country into would ruin. They come from a completely different Japan with a completely different government and ruling ethos. HOWEVER, unlike a hypothetical modern Texan going back to 1861, they can't go to the other side. The Americans circa 1942 aren't going to negotiate with any Japanese ship, and are much more likely to assume it's going to automatically go to help its Japanese brethren, and thus get more determined to sink it/kill everyone.

That's why they're conflicted. The side that accepts them with open arms is one they abhor, and the side they're actually more alike abhors them.

The anime adaptation was much more nationalist than the manga. The manga goes into a lot more depth of the cultural differences between the destroyer and the 1942 Japan they find themselves with.

It is pretty shit, only the good parts are those where nip boats get brutalized by yanks.

Going back to the main topic. I know very little about the USA Jap WW2 conflict. What were in your opinion Jap Imperial army greatest strengths and weaknesses?

>strenghts
I guess Jap army moral and devotion were incredible.
>weaknesses
Meme tier war economy when compared to the USA.

jesus christ they really do have no shame

Pretty much every war economy in WW2 was meme tier compared to the USA