African history

Post some unique stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2iGxre5G3_k
youtube.com/watch?v=ejjjP4nm46Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Félix_de_Sousa
ayittey1.tumblr.com/post/123515292606/the-ga-dangme-kingdom
books.google.ca/books?id=-U70Ts7CgEYC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=luwo ooni pavement ife&source=bl&ots=TG6YGYhXxw&sig=c2c6mmXPKy01-kmnO0xmVSJVfuU&hl=en&ei=IFaSTonjIu_HsQKNtqyeAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=luwo ooni pavement ife&f=false
amazon.co.uk/Ancient-African-Metropolis-Franklin-Paperback/dp/0531153606
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Zimbabwe
translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://paristimes.net/afrique/glidji/glidji_2.html&edit-text=
ourgame.mlblogs.com/rural-ritual-games-in-libya-berber-baseball-and-shinny-d17cf72c8ed9
thefemalesoldier.com/blog/dihya-al-kahina
assets.press.princeton.edu/chapters/i9190.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9WIhu5sG8
jebelbarkal.org/frames/VisGuide.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Malian warriors

>For eleven days, the Fula, who could not bring their cavalry to bear against the fortress walls, were kept at bay.
>In fact, the only cavalry casualty of the battle may have been a Mandinka named Faramba (General) Tamba of Kapentu whom marched out of Kansala with only his walking stick to drive the “haughty” Fula away.
>He was trampled to death by a Fula horseman.
>The Mandinka accounts are of the opinion that Fula took many casualties with hundreds of their infantry being decapitated as they tried to scale the wall with ladders. >They didn’t succeed at entering the city until Mansaba Waali, convinced that the sheer number of enemies was insurmountable, ordered the gates open.
>At this point, Mandinka women began committing suicide by jumping down wells to avoid slavery. >Mansaba Waali ordered his sons to set fire to Kansala’s seven gunpowder stores once the city was full of the enemy.
>Six were successfully ignited, killing all the Mandinka defenders and around 8,000 of the Alfa Yaya’s army.
>Alfa Molo’s victory is considered pyrrhic in that most of his army died on the walls of Kansala or in its explosion.
>All in all, only 4,000 troops returned from Kaabu.

Always loved last stands

Stone ruins precursor to the Ghana empire

Kingdom of Zimbabwe the biggest of over 200 stone enclosures had trade that ranged from Persia to china

The only interesting part of Africa is the North, the sub-saharan Africans didn't come out of obscurity until islam came about.

>The First Battle of Dongola was a battle between early Arab-Muslim forces of the Rashidun Caliphate and the Nubian-Christian forces of the Kingdom of Makuria in 642.
>The battle, which resulted in a Makurian victory, temporarily halted Arab incursions into Nubia and set the tone for an atmosphere of hostility between the two cultures until the culmination of the Second Battle of Dongola in 652.
>According to historian Al-Baladhuri, the Muslims found that the Nubians fought strongly and met them with showers of arrows.
>The majority of the Arab forces returned with wounded and blinded eyes.
>It was thus that the Nubians were called 'the pupil smiters'
>With their archers' deadly accuracy plus their own experienced cavalry forces, Makuria was able to shake the Amr's confidence enough for him to withdraw his forces from Nubia.
>Arab sources lend more credit to Nubian guerrilla tactics than a single decisive engagement.
>They claim that the Nubians would call out to their Muslim adversaries from afar where they would like their arrow wound.
>The Muslims would jokingly respond, and the arrow would strike them there invariably.
>This statement, along with a claim that Nubian horsemen were superior to Muslim cavalry in hit-and-run tactics, was used to support their position that the Nubians were besting them in skirmishes and not all-out battles.

tomb of Juba II, king of Numidia. His story is pretty interesting. The only known carthaginian text was saved and kept by him: the anecdote of how the carthaginians discovered the gorilla. He was of phoenician descent, but its african history nonetheless.

holy shit that kanuri knight looks straight out of a fantasy film.

Obligatory

What the fuck are you talking about ?

Juba II, as every king of Numidia, was berber. He wasn't phoenician. His name in berber is:ⵢⵓⴱ or Yuba wis sin.

East Africans were trading with India and the Arabian peninsula and in West Africa Ghana had dominated the Berbers and were the main power in control of trade before Islam reached them.

far back, he is a descendant of carthaginian and numidian nobles.

Source of carthagian origins about Juba ?

Juba I and Hiempsal II were berber in origins, as they ancestor. And he was born in the actual Algeria.

islam conected and empowered sub-saharan africans under one ideology

woops, i overestimated his phoenician origins, i mixed up my memories. Hiempsal II was the grandson of a carthaginian noblewoman, Sophonisba

Oh okay, np.

The Great (and that's an euphemism) Mosque of Djenne
The greatest building the richest man of the world had built

The negroes possess some admirable qualities. They are seldom unjust, and have a greater abhorrence of injustice than any other people. Their sultan shows no mercy to anyone who is guilty of the least act of it. There is complete security in their country. Neither traveller nor inhabitant in it has anything to fear from robbers or men of violence. They do not confiscate the property of any white man who dies in their country, even if it be uncounted wealth. On the contrary, they give it into the charge of some trustworthy person among the whites, until the rightful heir takes possession of it. They are careful to observe the hours of prayer, and assiduous in attending them in congregations, and in bringing up their children to them.

-Ibn Battuta

“The king's palace or court is a square, and is as large as the town of Haarlem and entirely surrounded by a special wall, like that which encircles the town. It is divided into many magnificent palaces, houses, and apartments of the courtiers, and comprises beautiful and long square galleries, about as large as the Exchange at Amsterdam, but one larger than another, resting on wooden pillars, from top to bottom covered with cast copper, on which are engraved the pictures of their war exploits and battles...“

-Nauwkeurige Beschrijvinge der Afrikaansche Gewesten on Benin City

“The view of this extensive city, the numerous canoes on the river, the crowded population, and the cultivated state of the surrounding countryside, formed altogether a prospect of civilization and magnificence that I little expected to find in the bosom of Africa.”

-Mungo Park in the city of Segou

>He was of phoenician descent
No he wasn't, he was berber/numidian. At most he might have some punic blood from the side of the women as numidians took punic wives sometimes.

>Hiempsal II was the grandson of a carthaginian noblewoman, Sophonisba
I understand your mistake but she died a few days after her wedding with Masinissa, she could't have given birth to any of his children.

holy shit that was a good read

wtf i like rwanda now

>benis

cute

youtu.be/2iGxre5G3_k

Perfect, I was just about to check if he released any new videos.

I enjoyed Sundiata

mighty accordion music men in zaire:

youtube.com/watch?v=ejjjP4nm46Y

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Félix_de_Sousa

If you go to country like Togo or Benin, a lot of people have the family name "De Souza"

Like Marcel Alain de Souza, Marcel de Souza, and Paul-Émile de Souza.

All those qualities are dying, instead of building upon their traditions Africans are copying the West.

Asian, on the contrary, are modern but still very close to their traditions, especially Chineses and Japaneses.

ayittey1.tumblr.com/post/123515292606/the-ga-dangme-kingdom

building in Foumban, Cameroon

I always found Felix Houphouet-Boigny interesting, but didn't find a documentary in English about him.

Ile-Ife is the most ancient Yoruba city, and is still venerated today by the Yoruba as their main cultural and religious center. It's practically a holy city. You may know of Ile-Ife due to its highly sophisticated terracotta and bronze castings, but did you know that the city had a complex system of paved roads? Evidently, an oral tradition concerning the distinguished Yoruba ruler Ono Olowo, apparently she was walking around the capital when her regalia was splattered with mud. Very upset, the Queen ordered the construction of pavements around all of the public and religious places of Ife(courtyards, shrines), made of ceramic tiles from pots. A quote concerning how potsherd pavements are created:

>According to oral tradition, the pathway or courtyard to be paved would be prepared by leveling the ground. The potsherds were then prepared by breaking them into pieces. The soil was then well-kneaded to make for a good sub-base providing the working platform. The soil base was mixed with residual water from the palm-oil industry and left to ferment for two to three days. In the absence of residual water from the palm-oil base, the soil was mixed with palm-oil. Where there was no palm-oil, the soil was left to ferment longer, say, one-week. Mixing the soil with palm-oil was done to provide uniform heating when the pavement was being "baked'.

>After the base was prepared, the potsherds were then stuck into the prepared soil and then arranged into whatever design was desired, be it herringbone or straight-row design. The pavement was then left to dry out before being "baked". In the baking process, dry wood and shrubs were packed on top of the pavement and set on fire.

Source: Movements, Borders, and Identities in Africa - Google Books

Apparently ancient potsherd pavements were strong enough to withstand human-traffic, more so than replicated examples of contemporary pavements, which implying that a higher quality of pottery was manufactured by the Yoruba in Ife and other-city states than today, being better fired. Potsherd pavements covered almost all of Ile-Ife in its prime, and were also found in Great Benin, much of Yoruba land, and even Togo and the modern state of Benin.

books.google.ca/books?id=-U70Ts7CgEYC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=luwo ooni pavement ife&source=bl&ots=TG6YGYhXxw&sig=c2c6mmXPKy01-kmnO0xmVSJVfuU&hl=en&ei=IFaSTonjIu_HsQKNtqyeAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=luwo ooni pavement ife&f=false

Source : historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html

What kind of government was great zimbabwe?

What does the interior look? like I only see pictures of the outside

An illustration of the Oba's palace

amazon.co.uk/Ancient-African-Metropolis-Franklin-Paperback/dp/0531153606

It's because a majority of the population in China and Japan still believes in the native religions which is where much of the tradition and culture comes from. African colonizers however all but destroyed native religions in most of Africa

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Zimbabwe

From "Indigenous African Institutions"

At least, Yoruba and Vodu are still popular.

Mugabe destructed Zimbabwe.

In 619 AD, the Nubians sent a gift of a giraffe to the Persians

In 1414 the Kenyan city of Malindi sent ambassadors to China carrying a gift that created a sensation at the Imperial Court. It was, of course, a giraffe.

In 1246 AD Dunama II of Kanem-Borno exchanged embassies with Al-Mustansir, the king of Tunis. He sent the North African court a costly present, which apparently included a giraffe. An old chronicle noted that the rare animal “created a sensation in Tunis”.

In 1209 AD Emperor Lalibela of Ethiopia sent an embassy to Cairo bringing the sultan unusual gifts including an elephant, a hyena, a zebra, and a giraffe.

I found some underground history shit here:

translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://paristimes.net/afrique/glidji/glidji_2.html&edit-text=

Here is a games played by the Berbers that looks like Basketball.

ourgame.mlblogs.com/rural-ritual-games-in-libya-berber-baseball-and-shinny-d17cf72c8ed9

I'm not into the "Africa is poor because it had been robbed." narrative, but that a French president say that is very interesting.

Swahili Kilwa Palace

In 1505 Portuguese forces destroyed and burned down the Swahili cities of Kilwa and Mombasa.

Now this is how the ruins of the Kilwa palace looks like.

Was that the one that lost Algeria?

Africa is kept poor by EU farm subsidies.
They told African governments to open their economies to free trade while the EU keeps the largest protectionist trade scheme in the world.

Under real free trade Africa could become a food exporter.

Mombasa and Kilwa based their fortress design in Portuguese and Spanish medieval castles

Interesting, I didn't know that.

No, you're talking about De Gaulle.

>B-b-buh muh mud!

Morocco Granary, Aga Khan Award for Architecture, green design, earth construction, sustainable

I never got the vitriol against mud, adobe, wattle, daub, and rammed earth. Most of East Asia used rammed earth or mud too. Traditional Akan houses look almost Japanese.

Dihya al-Kahina was a berber queen

thefemalesoldier.com/blog/dihya-al-kahina

>Traditional Akan houses look almost Japanese

Except the structure, I don't agree.

Isn´t there a leged or something about like that of how she defeated an invader Arab general and then addopted him?

Tbh I don't know.

From Wikipedia :

>Ibn Khaldun records many legends about Dihyā. A number of them refer to her long hair or great size, both legendary characteristics of sorcerers. She is also supposed to have had the gift of prophecy and she had three sons, which is characteristic of witches in legends. Even the fact that two were her own and one was adopted (an Arab officer she had captured) was an alleged trait of sorcerers in tales. Another legend claims that in her youth, she had supposedly freed her people from a tyrant by agreeing to marry him and then murdering him on their wedding night. Virtually nothing else of her personal life is known.

It's literally just an excuse by /pol/tards to dismiss the accomplishments of historical African people.

>hurr hurr stoopid niggers lived in mud huts, who cares about KANG nigger's big mud hut
>Brick's totally the tool of the civilized man tho, because it's a SPECIFIC kind of mud

In 1901, Booker T. Washington and the Tuskegee Institute sent an expedition to the German colony of Togo in West Africa, with the purpose of transforming the region into a cotton economy similar to that of the post-Reconstruction American South.

Alabama in Africa explores the politics of labor, sexuality, and race behind this endeavor, and the economic, political, and intellectual links connecting Germany, Africa, and the southern United States.

More informations here:
assets.press.princeton.edu/chapters/i9190.pdf (introduction)

Reconstruction of Khami(Rozwi Empire)

I recommend "Hometeam history", this is a good channel about African history.

here is a timeline he made about African history : youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9WIhu5sG8

Do you agree(pic related)?

Looks comfy desu

bronze artifact from the capital of the Kwararafa kingdom.

I post it because I love the aesthetic.

His analysis makes sense.

Gateways of Kano

>be Kush
>btfo Egypt
>btfo Persia
>btfo Romans
>btfp Arabs
Damn, Kush is badass.

A Visitor's Guide to
The Jebel Barkal Temples(with 3D reconstruction) :

jebelbarkal.org/frames/VisGuide.pdf

The Dahomey Amazons were pretty cool. I’m reminded of the last Amazon who was said to still march with her broomstick late in the evening like a soldier in her advanced age, and recite the warrior creed before going back to sweeping.