How hard is it to bike 100k ? Compared to running a marathon for instance?

How hard is it to bike 100k ? Compared to running a marathon for instance?
I don't get it, I was barely able to bike for 30 mins of the gym machine, whereas I can run for 1 hour... is it normal? I thought that biking was easier than running

same, 3 half marathons this week and yet i can't bike for 20min at the gym

WHAT
I know guys that bike for like 150 K and it seems they woudln't be able to run a marathon, or 30 K

bump it

Youre literally the exact opposite of me. I can bike miles and feel fine. A couple miles running kills me tho. My biggest flaw desu

Bike slower and with higher cadence, numbnuts. Biking is about endurance and not strength

They aren't really comparable because I'm pretty sure they use different muscles and are a lot different. For the bike machine at the gym the resistance may be different to an actual bike because there will be uphill and down hill

This

I cycled 120km once and I couldn't even run a 5k. Just slow down/use a lower resistance.

but is there a way to compare the two?

Hey OP.
I´m gonna make a wild guess and say that your bike wasn´t properly fitted. Probably your saddle was too low, or something like that. Bike fit is pretty important, if its wrong you can´t use your muscles properly and might even injure yourself. Technique and proper form, you know. Just like lifting and shit. Even on something as simple as a stationary bike.

Ask someone at the gym to adjust your bike. Or hit up some youtube vids, its not rocket science.

Not really it's kind of like saying squats and deadlift are similar because they both use legs but one requires a different skill set and muscle groups than the other. Although if you squat a lot you may do good on deadlifts because some of the muscles are the same. Just like running and biking both are cardio but they aren't the same. Hope that clears things up.

Running is the most natural thing you can do while biking is hunching your body over, perched on four square inches of ass bone, with your legs locked into a rigid path of motion and you can't even blink the whole time or uou might get hit by a car or run over a pothole and flip. Plus it's thousands of dollars in equipment and just sucks in general
t. disillusioned triathlete

>bicycle
>thousands of dollars
Nigger were buyin bikes not ducatis

I got a good used bike for a steal at 650
But then I also got:
Air pumps
Lube
Wheels
Tires
Lights
Helmets
Gloves
Shoes
Shorts
Jerseys
GPS
Maintenance supplies
Replacement parts
Race fees
Did I miss anything?

>did i miss anything
Common sense apparently. I got my roadbike off craigslist for $150

@42009864
Get this weak ass bait outta here. Not even a pity (You)

you seem like the type of guy who "gets into" something and then immediately buys ALL the pleb-trap shitter entry level stuff and then drops it sometime within a month, did you get into video games and then buy gaming glasses, the twitch streamer chair, gaming gloves, gamer microwavable meals, and alien wear t-shirts too?

Any fit man should be able to jump on a bike and do 100km with no training. If your are suffering then you're pushing too big a gear. Keep cadence above 80

No but it sounds like you might have

Sweet burn bro. Really activated my almonds

>tfw can bike 200km a day and enjoy it
>have done multiple long-distance tours around europe
>feel truly alive when on a bike out in the wilderness on a smooth road, feels like no effort at all
however
>get on treadmill at gym
>start running
>terrible knee pains within ten minutes
>have to stop, cant even run a 5k
yes i've seen an orthopaedic person and tried those insoles but i still seem to be doing something wrong. I got my gait checked and apparently i'm fine. but i still get weak and painful knees whenever i run. and that's with me running on the ball of the foot, long strides, head up chest out etc.

anyway OP your cardio health may be good from one activity but the muscle groups and biomechanics involved are different and just because you're good at one doesn't mean you're good at the other. Triathletes always have one weaker than the other two and they train each activity as much as possible.

>Any fit man should be able to jump on a bike and do 100km with no training
Not your average Veeky Forumsizen though. They shun all things 'cardio', so they'd get on a bike and within 10 miles they'd be gasping for air and grind to a halt, fall off the bike.

What a total fucking faggot

but you just described triathlon cycling which as you know is fairly uncomfortable compared to normal biking
just get a nice used road bike for $200 off craigslist and go out for a ride in the country, all you need is a helmet and a bottle of water.

Running on the balls of your feet is good, try shortening your stride and increasing your cadence. Over-striding can put undue stress on your knees. Basically the same advice the cyclists have been giving in this thread: if it's too hard/painful make it easier and do it faster.